Hot Toys Retailer Recommendations/ Experiences/ Horror Stories

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Stark

Super Freak
Reaction score
I thought it be a great idea to share your experiences in regards to any retailer whether it be online, brick & mortar, however little known, well-known or local. I want this thread to collect all sorts of good/ bad and ridiculous experiences you've had purchasing HTs and if there are any retailers less known but deserve more business, I want this thread to be the one to do it! So, anytime you're curious about a particular retailer, you can go to this thread and make an informed decision.:wave

I'm Canadian, so in the past year I've looked for good retailers north of the border. My go-to is Toys2, and they're the only bricks and mortar store that carries a lot of Hot Toys, lots of boardies know them and order from there. The exchange rate to USD can be a little expensive sometimes.

I also order from SuperPowerCollectibles from time to time, but they typically run out very quickly at the pre-order stage. One place I used to order from was CMDStore, which seemed to never run out of pre-orders, and had good prices up until release (at which point it jumped up). But now, I noticed even some pre-orders can be excessively priced, like Catwoman at $330 around a month ago...

Canadian here too, theres some real gems in calgary

Chinook hobby west- A joke to say the least, they dont do HT or SS stuff anymore but when they did theyre prices were ridiculous and customer service was brutal...

Another Dimension- A bigger joke, the owner is buddies with the owner of the above ^, theres a whole long story to how these places worked and lost tons of business but I dont feel like getting into it right now. These guys make you sign a form that says once you leave the store with a SS or HT piece you cant return or exchange it, and they dont let you open up and inspect pieces either cause then the next collector wont want an opened piece.. lol

I'm Canadian, so in the past year I've looked for good retailers north of the border. My go-to is Toys2, and they're the only bricks and mortar store that carries a lot of Hot Toys, lots of boardies know them and order from there. The exchange rate to USD can be a little expensive sometimes.

I also order from SuperPowerCollectibles from time to time, but they typically run out very quickly at the pre-order stage. One place I used to order from was CMDStore, which seemed to never run out of pre-orders, and had good prices up until release (at which point it jumped up). But now, I noticed even some pre-orders can be excessively priced, like Catwoman at $330 around a month ago...

Do you know when CMDStore gets their stock relative to Sideshow?... Ive been thinking about ordering something there

Do you know when CMDStore gets their stock relative to Sideshow?... Ive been thinking about ordering something there

If their distributor is SS then it should be around the same time as the other dealers, Sideshow has 1 shipping department for both customers and retailers so its a bit of a **** show as to when things may go out

I've only pre-ordered from there once- the DX12. I actually ended up getting mine earlier than most people on these boards that get from Sideshow (but keeping in mind there was a super early 1st batch, so I felt I got mine early for the 2nd batch). I was surprised, but I find it very arbitrary, as with some retailers here, I can get way later than Sideshow, or sometimes earlier.

Hard to tell I suppose...

If their distributor is SS then it should be around the same time as the other dealers, Sideshow has 1 shipping department for both customers and retailers so its a bit of a **** show as to when things may go out

How do you know about their shipping dept's? I believe what you're saying, just curious about how you'd know that.

How do you know about their shipping dept's? I believe what you're saying, just curious about how you'd know that.

A past job, involved me being in contact with SS sales rep on behalf of a business (dont want to get too specific)

used to get alot of insiders and what not

Fellow Canadian here, was curious about stocking times for SuperPowerCollectibles as well. Thanks for the inputs guys!

I'd rather pay a little more and get my toy shipped out faster, but I might give SuperPowerCollectibles a shot for something in the future.

Canadian here too, theres some real gems in calgary

Another Dimension- A bigger joke, the owner is buddies with the owner of the above ^, theres a whole long story to how these places worked and lost tons of business but I dont feel like getting into it right now. These guys make you sign a form that says once you leave the store with a SS or HT piece you cant return or exchange it, and they dont let you open up and inspect pieces either cause then the next collector wont want an opened piece.. lol
That's insanity! I wonder what they'd do if you refused?

That's insanity! I wonder what they'd do if you refused?

Yeah I cant say for sure but as Lejuan pointed out they would probably refuse the sale, they dont get my business anyway, my friends and I do meet ups and go shopping together, that place is where we start purely for the laughter lol, and theyre easily $30 more than SS retail, so yeah :lol

Also a fellow canuck. Things are good on the wet-coast: toytraders (no online) - awesome to deal with; urban samurai- great on line and bricks & mortar shop; big pete's -no online but great bricks and mortar store. Things are good here!:wave

I use a couple of retailers in the UK, all online. Sideshow themselves for Exclusive item orders, though always have to add on an import fee averaging about £23 for every £100 spent. Then its a choice of either

Forbidden Planet
Mothers Basement
Collectable Direct UK

All good options but would put Mothers Basement as the best option as they have free shipping in the UK and are more often then not the cheapest anyway (packings good as well) though Collectable UK do offer a discount if you pay in full when ordering (generally about £10 off up to £200 and £20 off over £200).

I've ordered with Forbidden Planet (UK) before and they are useless, selling items that they don't have in stock and when you call for an update after nothing ships they tell you they don't have it and don't know if they will have it again. I use Mothers Basement and Collectable Kitbash, I've gotten a lot of parts from Darren (Collectable Kitbash) and he always takes care of loyal customers if you're in need of something.

I've ordered with Forbidden Planet (UK) before and they are useless, selling items that they don't have in stock and when you call for an update after nothing ships they tell you they don't have it and don't know if they will have it again. I use Mothers Basement and Collectable Kitbash, I've gotten a lot of parts from Darren (Collectable Kitbash) and he always takes care of loyal customers if you're in need of something.

I have heard similar criticism of FP (UK) from several sources, but newbie collectors in the UK should note Forbidden Planet (UK) are not the same company as Forbidden Planet (.com) a different UK supplier, with bricks and mortar shops around GB, as well as an online store.. I have had excellent service from that Forbidden Planet.

In MA and the only brick and mortar store near me that carries hot toys is Harrison's comics. They are ridiculous when it comes to pricing. There will be items that aren't even sold out online and they are asking $100 dollars over retail. The staff is unhelpful and the owner is unrealistic. Now even though they do not carry hot toys the New England comic stores ( I believe there are 8) are awesome. You can order hot toys through them for the same price as sideshow except for the exclusives. You can still order them but they are a little more expensive. Staff is knowledgable and friendly.

Back