1/6 Hot Toys R2-D2 (Artoo-Detoo) - TFA Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh **** I didn't think this was being released for a few months yet .... made my day think its time for me to sell my sideshow r2

Looks great! Looks like this is gonna be my next figure when Sideshow gets it.

One from Facebook:

dbbb1149dd802637c77f278829dbca1c.jpg

That sideshow one is always coupon eligible. Would love to see what the major differences are between this one and that one, especially in terms of overall quality. R2 is not a major want for me as I feel like they keep making him so much, there'll always be one, but if I could find a hole in my figure budget schedule, I wouldn't say no to him outright.

Yeah, I don't see this one selling out especially at a $220 price point but it does look very good. I will wait for an eventual sale or coupon to snag it later on. Although, I'm wondering why they decided not to include any sort of nameplate or stand with it. :confused:

That sideshow one is always coupon eligible. Would love to see what the major differences are between this one and that one, especially in terms of overall quality. R2 is not a major want for me as I feel like they keep making him so much, there'll always be one, but if I could find a hole in my figure budget schedule, I wouldn't say no to him outright.

All I want to see is the height/volume of this R2 versus the SSC one. The SSC one is actually a great and quite accurate fig in-hand (never understand the hate it gets) and the lights are amazing - it's just that it's undersized, and I notice it a lot. Hoping either the HT or the Tama R2 comes in looking bigger and "fatter" than the SSC one.

The SSC one is also dirt cheap too - you can easily get them for under $140 - $100 less than the others.

Here in Japan it's long since sold out. 3rd party inflated prices are the only way to get it now. BBTS is sold out, too. I slept on ordering it due to having the Sideshow one and the Soul of Chogokin on preorder. I remedied it yesterday by preordering with Sideshow. Very much looking forward to getting this guy.

All I want to see is the height/volume of this R2 versus the SSC one. The SSC one is actually a great and quite accurate fig in-hand (never understand the hate it gets) and the lights are amazing - it's just that it's undersized, and I notice it a lot. Hoping either the HT or the Tama R2 comes in looking bigger and "fatter" than the SSC one.

The SSC one is also dirt cheap too - you can easily get them for under $140 - $100 less than the others.

Cheap looking dome. Flimsy compartments. Retractable spring loaded mechanisms that do not work well (like the antena). And it weights like a feather which is frustrating for some collectors.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Cheap looking dome.

A few dabs of rubbing alcohol - looks great. (though the seams on mine were very subtle.)

And um... the SSC dome is a bit more accurate than the HT one.:horror

Flimsy compartments.

He just sits on the shelf.

Retractable spring loaded mechanisms that do not work well (like the antena).

And it weights like a feather which is frustrating for some collectors.

:lol

That metal finish looks great in that second pic.

Now what's the hold up with C-3PO??

Yeah, it's amazing that R2 seems to be shipping now, yet not even a PO for 3PO.

I guess they figured they'd get everyone to buy R2 first, then offer up 3PO, as opposed to two $200+ figs at the same time.

I guess they figured they'd get everyone to buy R2 first, then offer up 3PO, as opposed to two $200+ figs at the same time.

Fully expect 3PO on or before Force Friday. Wonder if he will come be under TLJ license but then he might not come with the red arm.

Yeah, I mean I didn't think they'd wait this long to get a PO up for Threepio. I thought he'd be solicited maybe a month or two after R2 back in January. Maybe they plan on making him a TLJ release at this point. The gold arm is a must either way, but I would swap it to the red arm sometimes.

Fully expect 3PO on or before Force Friday. Wonder if he will come be under TLJ license but then he might not come with the red arm.

That's my thinking too. Seems a bit late for a TFA release with TLJ coming right up in weeks. I just hope he includes the red arm still. I'd use it once in a while.

A few dabs of rubbing alcohol - looks great. (though the seams on mine were very subtle.)

And um... the SSC dome is a bit more accurate than the HT one.:horror

My seams were very noticeable and no amount of rubbing alcohol is enough to muffle their cries of "I'm made of plastic, heeeeeeeelp meeeeeee"

The compartments present a pose option on the figure, but deliver no aesthetic satisfaction when handling it. My inner aesthete despairs at its flimsy nature.

The mechanism presents a pose option on the figure, but deliver no mechanical satisfaction when handling it. My inner engineer despairs at its lack of design integrity.

My figures do not merely "sit on a shelf". They present an embodied manifestation of the child's imagination, the liminal state between reality and fantasy where a screen droid has agency independent of its puppeteer, and its 1/6 scale action figure counterpart has a mechanical and material integrity beyond its plastic shell.

:monkey2

This R2 looks great, and in good scale in a couple photos (like with Leia, and even with TFA Luke). I would say it still looks close to the SS in scale though, maybe a touch bigger in girth. The legs look a bit stumpy in a couple photos though, curious how much can be done with the third leg.

Dome looks sweet.

20507582_10154750958622344_4944030623300805120_o.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone replicate this pose with the SS for scale comparison? Though I'm sure we'll have real comparisons in the next day or two. Pretty exciting to see side by sides against the older figures.

20617159_10154750960252344_447654322529873723_o.jpg

My seams were very noticeable and no amount of rubbing alcohol is enough to muffle their cries of "I'm made of plastic, heeeeeeeelp meeeeeee"

The compartments present a pose option on the figure, but deliver no aesthetic satisfaction when handling it. My inner aesthete despairs at its flimsy nature.

The mechanism presents a pose option on the figure, but deliver no mechanical satisfaction when handling it. My inner engineer despairs at its lack of design integrity.

My figures do not merely "sit on a shelf". They present an embodied manifestation of the child's imagination, the liminal state between reality and fantasy where a screen droid has agency independent of its puppeteer, and its 1/6 scale action figure counterpart has a mechanical and material integrity beyond its plastic shell.

:monkey2

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Lejuan again."

Looks awesome. Had a $20 coupon so went ahead and ordered. Still plan on keeping my SS version for separate displays.

Back