1/6 Hot Toys R2-D2 (Artoo-Detoo) - TFA Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone replicate this pose with the SS for scale comparison? Though I'm sure we'll have real comparisons in the next day or two. Pretty exciting to see side by sides against the older figures.

20617159_10154750960252344_447654322529873723_o.jpg

This is the key for me. If it's the same size or smaller than the SS one, I'll be passing.

This is the first time I'll be getting a figure to replace an older version while not having sold off the original beforehand. At least I plan to keep the SS R2 cause of all the accessories, the arms and the drink tray, which won't be compatible with the Hot Toys version (except maybe the drink tray). It's like a huge step forward with this figure (dome), and then many small steps back (nothing else as far as accessories).

This is the first time I'll be getting a figure to replace an older version while not having sold off the original beforehand. At least I plan to keep the SS R2 cause of all the accessories, the arms and the drink tray, which won't be compatible with the Hot Toys version (except maybe the drink tray). It's like a huge step forward with this figure (dome), and then many small steps back (nothing else as far as accessories).

If I had fancy dio stuff like a 1/6 scale blast door made by Joost I might use some of those tools. As it is the only time I ever tried them out was when I first got R2 in.

Lol, in all those blogger photos, it doesn't look like one was able to pose R2 accurately on his three legs.

And as much as I love the heavier weathering on the TFA R2, it looks to me like HT went way overboard with those ugly dark lines around the inside of the panels. They're just really damn distracting.

latest~02.jpg
581dfb1978da7f8fe05e1c8c87a45eba~01.jpg

Lol, in all those blogger photos, it doesn't look like one was able to pose R2 accurately on his three legs.

And as much as I love the heavier weathering on the TFA R2, it looks to me like HT went way overboard with those ugly dark lines around the inside of the panels. They're just really damn distracting.

View attachment 357479

Bring on the isopropyl and q-tips. :lol

I love how this looks but the lack of any opening panels or other accessories makes it feel incomplete. Way overpriced.

Is there a video of the final product with the sound effects? I think R2 looks pretty good myself. The dome alone is worth upgrading. I don't really care about the lack of opening panels as I never really use the tools the Sideshow figure came with and it always has bothered me how easily they just open.

I have a Sideshow coupon I'm thinking about using towards either this or The Force Awakens version of Luke.

Looks great, but ill continue to hold out for A New Hope R2 and 3cpo

Glad I have the Sideshow version.
The sound effects on this thing sound cheap.

Where did you hear it?

Edit: Found it. Sounds fine IMO. And you're talking about very tiny speakers here, and it's a recording of those tiny speakers.....not sure what else you expected.

Last edited:
Does this version have the rollers under the legs...looks like no in the pictures? Can someone hurry up and post a damn video review already? (day one lol)

...and where the hell are the comparison pictures between this and Sideshow's version...cummon people... now! (day one release lol)

Blogger pics are out and this thread is silent?

Maybe it's because there are two other pretty decent high-end 1/6 R2's that are either available or soon will be.

It lessens the thrill of seeing a new 1/6 R2 a bit, though the real metal dome does set this one apart.

Maybe it's because there are two other pretty decent high-end 1/6 R2's that are either available or soon will be.

It lessens the thrill of seeing a new 1/6 R2 a bit, though the real metal dome does set this one apart.

Lessens the thrill? I'm surprised. The droids have always been my favourite hero characters, and it's only relatively recently that we've seen a high-end representation in anything close to 1/6. I couldn't see enough of R2 :)

I'm just waiting for the side by side with Sideshow. Most important side by side since the Vader one maybe, if not more-so since adjustments can't really be made to this guy.

I'm just waiting for the side by side with Sideshow. Most important side by side since the Vader one maybe, if not more-so since adjustments can't really be made to this guy.

Yeah, what worries me is that the Tama/SSC side-by-side (pics were posted maybe a month ago) seemed to prove it had similar scale issues (even the "volume/girth" seemed roughly the same.) It seems like LFL/Disney dictates the heights - i.e. "cute" R2 figures are shorter than he should be and "evil" Vader is taller. There's no other explanation for a constant parade of 1/6 Vaders that are 1/2" to 1" too tall. It's interesting that even the Black Series 6" R2 was underscaled.

Makes me think this HT R2 will share the problem - I really hope that's not true. I really want an R2 that is correctly scaled to other 1/6 figures.

Back