HOT TOYS QS 1/4 Darth Vader (pic courtesy Seanxlong)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn?t have time to really do more than remove from box and visually inspect as I had to run to studio. Stunning figure, unfortunately my tusk was off and floating on the body like others had. The foam is pressed to tight to the face. Definitely going to call Sideshow after I test the lights tomorrow.

However, with that said, the exclusive stand uses the same exact mask bottom, you just have to unscrew the pegs and switch them around and viola, you have a perfectly good mask with two good tusks. Of course still make the call and get a replacement part, but just saying for those who want to display the figure, you can while waiting for replacement. Hope this makes sense without pictures.

However, with that said, the exclusive stand uses the same exact mask bottom, you just have to unscrew the pegs and switch them around and viola, you have a perfectly good mask with two good tusks. Of course still make the call and get a replacement part, but just saying for those who want to display the figure, you can while waiting for replacement. Hope this makes sense without pictures.

How hard is it to remove the lower neck area from the body, and the peg from the neck piece?

I've had 2 issues with mine - the lights on the body stick at a static top an bottom after 5 mins even with new batteries and my hilt button was jammed.
Thanks to sideshow tho I'm getting a new body + saber which allows me to have the CCFL mod done.

I’m having the exact same problem with the chest lights. Also having a problem with the saber dimming out quickly. I wonder if better batteries would make a difference?

Last edited:
How hard is it to remove the lower neck area from the body, and the peg from the neck piece?

Incredibly easy. Head pulls off from body like any other figure and both mask bottoms attach to their respective pegs with a small Phillips screw. Just unscrew and switch. I can post pictures later unless someone else gets to it before I get home. I hope the regular editions come with the head more sunk in to the foam behind since people will only have the one mask bottom and forced to wait for replacements to properly display.

I know that they didn?t wire the cape so it would hang properly, and it does look great. However my two minor complaints are that they should have used an actual chain around the neck instead of that flat thing, and that hook sticking out of the chest bugs me a little... and an alternate wired cape for action poses would have been nice, but that isn?t a complaint so much as an observation.

The chain on the cape and the chain hook are accurate to the actual ROTJ costume, so a regular chain and no chain hook would have been incorrect. The "chain" used was flat, dark grey flexible molded plastic links (not a metal chain) and is often used for gardening purposes. This is a photo of the actual ROTJ costume vader chain.jpeg
A good reference would be the costume standards used by the 501st for proper screen accurate Vader costumes: https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:SL_rotj_vader

Yeah seeing how great that flowy, wired cape looked on the Iron Studios Vader, I would have loved to have had the same kind of thing with this figure.

Not sure I want it bad enough to pay an extra $100 for a custom version though.

Incredibly easy. Head pulls off from body like any other figure and both mask bottoms attach to their respective pegs with a small Phillips screw. Just unscrew and switch. I can post pictures later unless someone else gets to it before I get home. I hope the regular editions come with the head more sunk in to the foam behind since people will only have the one mask bottom and forced to wait for replacements to properly display.

Thanks! That was super easy. This is my first Hot Toys of any kind so I was a little hesitant to start yanking on the neck piece without knowing how it was attached.

Things are getting serious if jkno is buying one.

And I mean this in all seriousness.

:exactly: :panic: :lol

Yeah seeing how great that flowy, wired cape looked on the Iron Studios Vader, I would have loved to have had the same kind of thing with this figure.

Not sure I want it bad enough to pay an extra $100 for a custom version though.

It would have been cool to have the option. Iron Studios Vader really needed that wired cape as it was in an action pose.

I know that they didn?t wire the cape so it would hang properly, and it does look great. However my two minor complaints are that they should have used an actual chain around the neck instead of that flat thing, and that hook sticking out of the chest bugs me a little... and an alternate wired cape for action poses would have been nice, but that isn?t a complaint so much as an observation.

This is what they really used on Vader costume:

Vader cap chain 1.jpg

simple hack the sheet plastic under is black so won't shine through. Rough bit of perspex laying around with some paper ontop.

Can be powered by hidden USB power bank or usb plug.

View attachment 47021

Very cool!

Odd question does anyone have any spare broken Belt boxes?

So sideshow sent my replacement body, little did I know it would come clothed minus a few bits. Thought if I can grab a broken set of belt boxes I could make something with it. Happy to pay a fair price for them.

Odd question does anyone have any spare broken Belt boxes?

So sideshow sent my replacement body, little did I know it would come clothed minus a few bits. Thought if I can grab a broken set of belt boxes I could make something with it. Happy to pay a fair price for them.

So you essentially have two Vader?s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you essentially have two Vader?s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope still missing shoulder pad, cape, neck connector, belt boxes etc. I was much expecting just the body but oddly enough to my surprise when I opened the parcel today it was almost a clothed body minus those parts. Unsual as normally they ask you to destroy but they said I may keep or destroy the body.

Suppose that makes the ?106 customs charge worth it :rotfl

I was really hoping to use just the top platform as his only base. Is there no way to disconnect the middle joining piece?

I think that's where the switch and batteries are located. You'd probably have to disconnect the pieces and hook up some longer wires so you could keep the two separate.

I agree that upper level makes for the much cooler looking base though.

For anyone interested, the top "shell" of the light up base can be unscrewed and used on its own. It's very light though and would probably need some kind of weighing down to make it more stable and secure.

vader-base-4-e1573321214223.jpg
vader-base-3-e1573321237400.jpg
vader-base-2-e1573321247992.jpg

vader-base-1-e1573321257838.jpg

Made a minor (and incredibly simple) mod to Vaders chest box lights to dim them down to a less harsh, more acceptable, brightness. Got out my Roscolux theatrical light gel filter samples, found the one I wanted (#163 "Powder Frost"), cut a piece large enough to cover the LEDs and secured it in place with white glue. One layer didn't quite diffuse it enough, so added a second. Worked like a charm! Photos don't really do it justice though (taken without and with flash). Second pic (taken without flash) shows the gentler, more even diffusion of the LED lights in contrast to factory appearance. In the next to last pic (taken with flash) it shows the lights in the part of the sequence when all three LEDs are illuminated as does the last pic 001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 293
Finally got him and as my 2nd QS figure. He looks amazing and is a massive figure. Quite disappointed that one of the light boxes on the belt doesn’t work as the switch snapped right off when I tried turning it on which is sad. Might try get a replacement form the seller if not does anyone know a store or website that stocks Darth Vader 1/4 parts and ships internationally?

A17F2A07-72F6-40A0-B84D-96AF8F2CCA82.jpg

Finally got him and as my 2nd QS figure. He looks amazing and is a massive figure. Quite disappointed that one of the light boxes on the belt doesn’t work as the switch snapped right off when I tried turning it on which is sad. Might try get a replacement form the seller if not does anyone know a store or website that stocks Darth Vader 1/4 parts and ships internationally?

View attachment 470550

Same thing happened to me. Sideshow is sending me one

Back