Hot toys pumping out figures too fast?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the record, I have only one Avengers figure -- Loki -- and likely I will keep it that way. NOT being into collecting Marvel (or DC) saves a ton of dollars.

I was in that boat too. Only MCU figure I had was AoU Cap but I sold him to prepare for the SW onslaught. And for me I'm loving this barrage of TFA figures. HT seems to strike while the iron is hot for new releases and then very rarely go back to previous "modern" movies. Which is a bit of a bummer in my eyes regarding TFA because in 7-8 months it could just be nothing but Rogue One figures and then it's on to Episode VIII.

But I still want them to go crazy with TFA. I want those weird red dudes who stormed Han's freighter, the funky trio of mosquitoes in Maz' cantina, Han (for gosh sake HAN), final Rey, old Luke and Leia (yep, even Leia), I want Ackbar, Nien Nunb, Poe, the chick X-Wing pilot, Hux, various bucket headed goblins from Jakku and Takonada, that little dude with the animal cages on his back, etc.

I think the answer to the question is they are pumping these out too fast. I agree with what others have said about lowering the cost to appeal to more buyers. I wouldn't be jumping on all of these troopers anyways, but i think more would be willing to buy multiples if they weren't as high priced.

I would actually say by Hot Toys standards that the Star Wars figures have been pretty reasonably priced for the most part.

And I think we should reflect on X wing Luke. Aka the Luke that broke sideshow in my mind as it's just too expensive.

Seems like they're coming out pretty quick but I'm just an OT collector so I'm done after Leia and Luke come out. Just going to wait for Yoda, Fett, X-Wing Luke and Jedi luke and I'll be done with Star Wars in general(forgot 3PO and R2).

They've whacked out most of the great ANH characters in less than a year, and most of them will likely never be rereleased, so it's expensive now, but it'll never be this hard again to keep up.

i would be perfectly happy to get 1 star wars figure every 2-3 months, it certainly would help save up some more cash.

Yes. Just a couple of months ago i was in for every HT SW figure but when they are releasing 3-4 a month now i just can't keep up. Sad but what can you do? :(

No, HT has delivered the entire ANH crew* in less than a year.

Where's Drax? Where's Elias? Where's Barbossa? Where's R'as? Where's John Connor?

What HT has done with Star Wars is unprecedented, and I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

At this point, I couldn't imagine waiting another 5 months for an Obi-Wan, and another 4 months after that for Darth Vader. I have them all now, it's done. And I'm moving on. Let them ride out the TFA hype, which I'm not buying anything, then bring on the ESB series.

If I want any of the TFA figures, I'l buy them in 18 months while people are dumping them, meanwhile, I'll trade them my MISB Han/Chewie for their entire TFA collection.

:goodpost: I agree in a year or two TFA stuff will be alot less wanted..the hype machine now has created a frenzy- it will drop eventually.

I have just landed 5 in a month. Thats just too many to enjoy, the cost starts adding up and buyers remorse starts to creep in.

Spread over a year fine, 30 days and its christmas time not so much.

I was out of collecting until I heard HT was delving into the Star Wars license. I figured...great...I'll just focus on figures from A New Hope (since it's my favorite in the saga). Before I knew it...I realized I was in over my head. Too many figures hitting at once from the only film in the saga that I sought to collect. It's just the onslaught of these releases have been brutal to say the least.

I actually think the hardest thing about being a Hot Toys collector is the long gap between purchases. Seems like there is typically a long time between pre-order and release. Occasionally things come out quickly but then there is drought. All balances out.

I promised myself 2 figures a year, way past that. but for much of that was catchup on figure I wanted from old releases.

Many can to me because the deal was way too good to pass up. From now on, here are my rules;

1. Only figure that blow me away. Mediocre just cant cut it with these prices.
2. Not every figure in every line. Just iconic ones that really capture the spirit of the film.
3. My space is limited , so if I want a new one , something else goes.
4. Variety.

Star Wars are definitely selling out too fast. With the Stormtroopers and Han/Chewie sellouts and Obi -Wan fast approaching that, it's hard to keep up because you can't wait too long otherwise the prices will skyrocket.

I expect Vader and Farmboy Luke to not last that long either.

Then there's all the TFA figures.

Compared to other licenses it seems that Star Wars is selling faster. Could be that they aren't making as many compared to Marvel figures, or could simply be that they're the first high quality Star Wars figures on the market.

Either way I have bought the Stormtroopers 2 pack and Farmboy Luke and have Obi-Wan on Flex and Kylo on pre order all within the last couple of months. Still after Vader, Han/Chewie, Stormtrooper Luke and a Sandtrooper.
I wouldn't have minded some of those to have been released 1st quarter next year.

I think Star Wars collectors are just more die hard and add to that the possibility that HT won't revisit many figures like they do with Marvel because SW doesn't do as well in Asia may be why people are buying them up quickly.

The pace is a bit breakneck speed and the release schedule is unprecedented as someone mentioned earlier, but damn are they doing it in style. Hell, they have to. They will be slaving over Disney licensed products every year with 1-2 Marvel movies per year and now at least one Star Wars movie per year. They can't afford to stop. If they haven't bought their own factory, my money is on they soon will. Yes, my wallet is in pain and my credit cards are screaming bloody murder, but I'm going to try to keep up and army build where I can. Try to divest from some of the smaller scales and thank god I don't collect comics any more!

Back