Hot toys pumping out figures too fast?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Iron Man line really killed me. When I started to finally feel caught up, several more pre orders pop up. Then I start to notice brown sideshow shippers tucked in every closet or available space, and no where else for the figures to go. Two detolfs and a besta later, I realized it's time for me to give up on Iron Man. I also held off on starting Star Wars collecting, but regret it as I can't find a Han and Chewie set for anything close to reasonable now. So, I'll have to carve away at more Iron Man to hopefully start building up a Star Wars collection..hah

I'm pretty selective with Hot Toys and similar 1/6 purchases at the best of times, but the terrifying pace with which HT have been pumping these out drove me into the waiting arms of SH Figuarts instead. I'm waiting for my first batch of figures to show up before I decide if I'm going to get more, but I'm very impressed with what I've seen in other people's collections, especially their new face printing technology. They're packing a whole lot of detail and value into £30, 6" figures.

That said, if HT start putting out quality Empire Strikes Back figures, expect to see a load of Iron Men and a substantial ThreeA collection hit Ebay :lol

I think the line was going nice and steady til TFA reveals.
That is where the fast pace is coming from.
But, in this time of chaos, ihave been using SSC for figures I want early and using local Aussie etailers for figures I can wait out.
So, the best of both worlds...and when it comes for an item that is due to charge from SSC, I put it on flex to spread payments.If I can make payment earlier during the flex period and pay it off, I will.
Same as with local, I put a small deposit down and gradually pay it off, and when said item ships out from SSC, I know I have to fully pay it off locally asap cause I will have another 4 week window.
The AUD vs the USD has made me resort to this.
I used to buy from Timcent a lot too, but now with the AUD hurting, I avoid ebay altogether.
Patience is the key these days...OT first, TFA over time.

Original Trilogy Imperials is my Star Wars focus and this helps a lot with the budget and space. From other lines I only collect a few HT figures like T2 Endos, Appleseed figs and She Predator Machiko - I already sold my Predator 1 and 2 figures. considering my main interest are life-size Star Wars props and helmets, I need to get only the smaller items I really like. Thus from HT I got a pair of Stormies, plus a single one, a Spacetrooper and waiting for the trio of HT Sandies (the orange pauldron is on pre-order), and from SSC I have on pre-order the following: SSC 1/6 TIE Pilot, SSC 1/6 R2-Q5, and SSC 1/6 AT-AT Driver.

I hope their OT isn't done....I too want many more figs

I also want Tarkin, a final good yoda that accually represent the puppit, not the cgi yoda, a new emperor, complete with endor jedi luke, although i hate them now; couple of ewoks (child sentiment, but hey they took out palpatines best troops [emoji12]), SLAVE leia. You know what i'm just going to put 'etc etc etc' here!

As someone said before i had a year to safe up on these. But TFA mere months. Sometimes 1 month. Can't afford them. Also it's great for the US economy that the usd is higher, but the failure of the euro isn't make this hobby better for me. I used to save like 20/30€ on each figure. Also the HKD is high. Going the hk route is also expensive now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not just hot toys its every other company that knows how much we are willing to pay for an extremely nice collectible.

I also want Tarkin, a final good yoda that accually represent the puppit, not the cgi yoda, a new emperor, complete with endor jedi luke, although i hate them now; couple of ewoks (child sentiment, but hey they took out palpatines best troops [emoji12]), SLAVE leia. You know what i'm just going to put 'etc etc etc' here!

Good list: I'd add Lando and some Hoth figs to it and call it a day. I definitely could go deeper into the films (Jawas, Tusken Raider, Greedo, various Imperial soldiers and commanders) but it'd feel like a real expensive Hasbro collection.

You can't blame any company for pumping out product it knows it can sell. Whether individuals have the money or not is irrelevant. My focus is on the '12-back' characters from ANH plus a select few variants like x-wing Luke, plus Yoda, Fett, a couple of others. I've stretched myself to the limit getting the ANH figures so far but it will never be like this again. There is literally no other property that could release eight or nine figures in this way where I would buy all of them. This is the collection I've wanted all my life and it's damn near complete. Now I can sit back and enjoy future releases like Stormtrooper Han.

As for TFA I want precisely two figures from that movie, Kylo Ren and Rey and BB8. I loved The Force Awakens but I didn't grow up wth it.

Make them all Hot Toys!

vanity-fair-star-wars-02.jpg

I particularly want the blue bearded buy, big dude with sexy FO informant, little guy in front with the big nose (played by Warwick Davis) and the pair who Finn tries to catch a ride with. Peg leg dude reminds me of turtle from the Neverending Story. :D

Funnily enough I don't know how much I like the Maz character. She felt a little "Avatar-y" to me. Just her CG look and the way she spoke I almost expected her to start going off about "Eywa" or something.

I just buy the characters I like.

For example, I love Obi-Wan, Luke, Boba, and Darth. So those are the figures Ive gotten or will be getting no matter what.

The only other figures im interested in is Captain America and I can see myself buying the whole Civil War line.

BVS Batman is tempting me right now also so i may bite on him.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I haven't seen any major quality concerns with any of the recent Hot Toys figures. So I don't see why this is a problem. If anything thing it reveals more of the OCD of some collectors needing to buy all figures.

The only real argument you could make is that the large number of figures is causing some to get pushed back farther, but yet you may like a figure I don't like. So it's all subjective anyways.

If you don't plan to get all Iron Man,Stormtrooper,Black Widow and Captain America variants you should be fine... :lol

I just wanted to know. Do you you guys also think hot toys are pumping these figures out too fast?

Nope, not in my eyes. In fact, I'd love it if they picked up the pace and pumped out more even faster now. They're like a well oiled machine at the moment with no signs of slowing down. I bet 2016 and 2017 are even more intense.

Luckily for me, Hot Toys doesn't offer anything that I fancy anymore. For 2015 I got Marty McFly, Battle Damaged Robocop and Alex Murphy. Probably the least amount of Hot Toys figures I've bought in a given year. I came close to pulling the trigger on their Darth Vader and Farmboy Luke Skywalker, but getting into Star Wars is a fools game. That Vader and Luke are already old news, once more newer versions of characters are out in circulation, the older versions will be outdated ala their Iron Men and Avengers team members that change every few months.

since i only buy star wars im very happy with the amount they make. :) the more the better :) i only PO exclusives, the rest i can get whenever. but if your collecting many lines that to me is too hard and expensive to keep up. i like having one cohesive collection. plus you dont have to buy everything either. sometimes collectors are trying to buy everything and i think thats too expensive and they get upset that they cant. thats not HTs fault. they arent making u buy everything. some buy things they dont even like which makes no sense.

I only buy Star Wars. Sadly though there are hundreds of Star Wars characters. I am a completionist too so it is hard to try and ignore some of the figures but there are simply too many of them.

I have 7 on pre order and want at least another 5 that have been revealed.

They are coming out a little bit too quickly, especially Force Awakens ones. I only need one Stormtrooper though. No interest in all variations.

I still need. General Hux also. Hot Toys need to hurry up and preview him

The Iron Man line really killed me. When I started to finally feel caught up, several more pre orders pop up. Then I start to notice brown sideshow shippers tucked in every closet or available space, and no where else for the figures to go. Two detolfs and a besta later, I realized it's time for me to give up on Iron Man. I also held off on starting Star Wars collecting, but regret it as I can't find a Han and Chewie set for anything close to reasonable now. So, I'll have to carve away at more Iron Man to hopefully start building up a Star Wars collection..hah

Sorry not to be rude , but I really would like someone who is an IM collector to answer this. Why do you buy so many? Is it OCD or what? I like some characters alot buy I just don't buy every single on put out. Whats the attraction of it? Seriously not being mean I am genuinely curious.

As for TFA I want precisely two figures from that movie, Kylo Ren and Rey and BB8. I loved The Force Awakens but I didn't grow up wth it.

That's 3....

The slip sliding begins.......

Back