Hot Toys: Prometheus - MOVIE SPOILERS!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Wikipedia, Charlize Theron was casted as Elizabeth Shaw and would have played the heroine in this movie if it wasn't for her involvement with Mad Max 4. The delay in that film allows Charlize to rejoin this movie, and her character was further developed than originally planned.

Also check out the list of attractive women that Charlize initially beat out: "Actresses Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman, Gemma Arterton, Carey Mulligan, and Abbie Cornish, were all considered for the role during development".

I don't know if that is true as Noomi Rapace's name was with the project well before Charlize's ever popped up. Rapace was the one up for the role and was informed she'd have to do a video audition piece for the studio to convince them.

I don't think anyone in the film is a bad actor, some didn't have much to work with and did the best they could.

I'd be really disappointed if they didn't make a Shaw figure.

I hope HT will make shaw, but not her as first figure on prometeus line, or it will end up like watchmen

If they make her, I kind of hope we get the little squid-alien baby too!

I think HT could do something similar to what they did with the Tracker Predator.

Shaw with the Squid Alien

Engineer with PX

Vickers with the hammerhead.

Or simply do the engineer with all of the above!!

Shaw is the heroine for sure, but she had a lousy script to work with, meaning her character wasn't anywhere near as developed as Ripley's was. As well, with no real monster in this movie she wasn't fighting against a thing so much as trying to solve a puzzle. Puzzle-solving, especially when it's unresolved, isn't seen by many as especially heroic.

It wasn't a weak performance by any stretch. I think Theron acquitted herself very well considering what the role demanded of her. Which unfortunately, wasn't much.

Exactly, she might has well not even been in it...therefore...weeeeeeaaaak

I don't know if that is true as Noomi Rapace's name was with the project well before Charlize's ever popped up. Rapace was the one up for the role and was informed she'd have to do a video audition piece for the studio to convince them.

I don't think anyone in the film is a bad actor, some didn't have much to work with and did the best they could.

I'd be really disappointed if they didn't make a Shaw figure.

Rapace is a great actress, for sure. I liked her performance a lot, actually. As for Theron being cast, in Entertainment Weekly they said she was originally cast as the lead, had to drop out because of the Road Warrior remake, and then took a minor role once that movie got delayed. So I think it's probably true. Likely all that happened before the public knew much about the movie.

I'd buy a Shaw , David and Engineer.
That's it. I'd pick up an Elba sculpt if it was made also but that isn't going to happen.

I'm struggling to want a figure at all from this movie such a massive let down as it was. Saying that, as the engineer(s) are part of Alien mythology I'd defo pick that up with full space suit.

Rapace is a great actress, for sure. I liked her performance a lot, actually. As for Theron being cast, in Entertainment Weekly they said she was originally cast as the lead, had to drop out because of the Road Warrior remake, and then took a minor role once that movie got delayed. So I think it's probably true. Likely all that happened before the public knew much about the movie.

Right, thanks for the info :) I don't know if I could see Theron as Shaw now, I thought Noomi was great in the role. Though not sure why they made the character English when Noomi isn't really able to hide her Swedish accent, why didn't they just make her Swedish? Kind of like when they cast Daniel Craig to be Swedish in Dragon Tattoo, yet he had an English accent :rotfl

charlize-theron-as-meredith-vickers-in-prometheus.jpg

Perfect headsculpt :lol

*Insert rude photoshopped pic here*

Right, thanks for the info :) I don't know if I could see Theron as Shaw now, I thought Noomi was great in the role. Though not sure why they made the character English when Noomi isn't really able to hide her Swedish accent, why didn't they just make her Swedish? Kind of like when they cast Daniel Craig to be Swedish in Dragon Tattoo, yet he had an English accent :rotfl

Well, I used to think it was because we Americans just think people with accents are interchangeable (which is why pretty much every historical movie ever made here has people with British accents even though it might take place in Italy, France, Sweden, etc.). But now movies are made for a global market! So who knows. :)

I agree though, I definitely could not see Theron playing Shaw as she was in the movie. Shaw would have been a very different character. I liked that Shaw seemed to be somewhere inbetween Ripley from Alien and Ripley from Aliens. She spent a lot of time just sort of running (as one should) but she was able to kick a little butt (although indirectly.)

Actually, after seeing the movie a second time I've come around and would actually welcome a Shaw. If I buy the HT line. Which I'm still debating depending on whether the Avengers line has sucked away all disposable income.

I agree. Charlize Théron just seems too conventionally attractive to convincingly play Shaw, a very vulnerable character. As with Ripley, I think an unusual beauty or more down-to-earth look suits the character's personality and role better. Hollywood has gravitated towards 'beautiful people' casting since the 1990's and it makes a lot of characters seem less authentic.

I don't understand all the hate for Vickers...
I loved Shaw...she was a strong character, but did everyone just forget what a tragic character Vickers was?
She was an antagonist to be sure, but she was is a position of being rejected by her own father in favor of an artificial "son"

Did everybody just forget that Weyland said straight out - I never had a son and David is the closest I have to a son -- the implication is that he undervalued his daughter...

Vickers in a way is symbolic of the Succesor never replacing the King and his reign...The father creates 2 children, Vickers and David - one who is in favor and the other not.

Just like the Engineers created us and will not allow us to succeed it -- wants to terminate us but we don't know why...

To say those who prefer Vickers over Shaw is shallow, is akin to saying those who prefer Han to Luke is Shallow...(and Han was a minor antagonist-turned co-protagonist)...

I like Vickers and thought her role was interesting and lent a different dimension to Weyland as a person -- why did he prefer his "artifical son" to her? Was it because she is a female? Was there an element of sexism that caused him to in a way reject his daughter?

The people who dislike Vickers so much may have missed the point...

I'm not saying Shaw is worse -- I like her -- takes a strong character to do what she did to survive...

But as a guy, I wouldn't mind seeing Vickers as a figure -- call me shallow, but she's an attractive woman and makes a good-looking figure. I wouldn't want my Batman figures to be less than heroic or good-looking either...it's natural to like looking at what's attractive -- nothing shallow about that -- I"m not saying attractive people are better -- I'm stating a fact that things that're well assembled, painted, put-together, built, drawn, design, etc are just pleasant to look at...period...

And of course the exterior should never be thought of to be indicative of the interior...I don't judge a book by its cover, I judge a book by what its content...I don't even judge it by how the content is worded...because logic is in the language and we all have different ways of saying similar things.

now, that said, the way a film "paints" the characters are important to me and I like the way Vickers' character was painted -- she was tragic, yes, but it makes me feel bad for her. I thought toward the end she was sympathetic...but had to die b/c she no longer served a dramatic purpose.

There was a large enough dimension to the main characters, aside from the red-shirts in my opinion...(well I guess ultimately all were red shirts except David and Shaw, right?) - scratch that last comment! ;P

Last edited:

I think it's because the British english accent is easiest to understand across the globe --easier to decipher than English with an accent be it Bostonian, or southern, or with a strong cantonese twist speaking with a Welsh tongue and a spin on it could isolate some people...my relatives, for example have a hard enough time understanding English spoken by a Scot or Italian without asking for subtitles or rewinding...

usually I can easily understand the thickest of European or Asian accents, speaking American or Queens English but I have to first decipher what native tongue I'm probably hearing...

Well said demorathis. I think that there are some who can't see past the fact that a beautiful woman was cast in this role, and that's all they see. I agree, I thought she was a tragic figure.

I don't understand all the hate for Vickers...
I loved Shaw...she was a strong character, but did everyone just forget what a tragic character Vickers was?
She was an antagonist to be sure, but she was is a position of being rejected by her own father in favor of an artificial "son"

Did everybody just forget that Weyland said straight out - I never had a son and David is the closest I have to a son -- the implication is that he undervalued his daughter...

Vickers in a way is symbolic of the Succesor never replacing the King and his reign...The father creates 2 children, Vickers and David - one who is in favor and the other not.

Just like the Engineers created us and will not allow us to succeed it -- wants to terminate us but we don't know why...

To say those who prefer Vickers over Shaw is shallow, is akin to saying those who prefer Han to Luke is Shallow...(and Han was a minor antagonist-turned co-protagonist)...

I like Vickers and thought her role was interesting and lent a different dimension to Weyland as a person -- why did he prefer his "artifical son" to her? Was it because she is a female? Was there an element of sexism that caused him to in a way reject his daughter?

The people who dislike Vickers so much may have missed the point...

I'm not saying Shaw is worse -- I like her -- takes a strong character to do what she did to survive...

But as a guy, I wouldn't mind seeing Vickers as a figure -- call me shallow, but she's an attractive woman and makes a good-looking figure. I wouldn't want my Batman figures to be less than heroic or good-looking either...it's natural to like looking at what's attractive -- nothing shallow about that -- I"m not saying attractive people are better -- I'm stating a fact that things that're well assembled, painted, put-together, built, drawn, design, etc are just pleasant to look at...period...

And of course the exterior should never be thought of to be indicative of the interior...I don't judge a book by its cover, I judge a book by what its content...I don't even judge it by how the content is worded...because logic is in the language and we all have different ways of saying similar things.

now, that said, the way a film "paints" the characters are important to me and I like the way Vickers' character was painted -- she was tragic, yes, but it makes me feel bad for her. I thought toward the end she was sympathetic...but had to die b/c she no longer served a dramatic purpose.

There was a large enough dimension to the main characters, aside from the red-shirts in my opinion...(well I guess ultimately all were red shirts except David and Shaw, right?) - scratch that last comment! ;P

Maybe if I saw the film a second time I might come to think more of the Vickers character.

Yes, Charlize is good looking, but I'd hardly call Noomi unattractive, she's certainly better looking than Sigourney was imo, but I guess Sigourney didn't have any attractive women to be compared to in Alien.

I agree though, I definitely could not see Theron playing Shaw as she was in the movie. Shaw would have been a very different character. I liked that Shaw seemed to be somewhere inbetween Ripley from Alien and Ripley from Aliens. She spent a lot of time just sort of running (as one should) but she was able to kick a little butt (although indirectly.)

I loved it when the Engineer was beating the crap out of everyone and Shaw was the only one running away - as soon as he ripped David's head off I would have been out of there.

This one's for those who cannot see past Charlize as a beautiful woman...

She just went bald for Mad Max:Fury Road.

Back