Hot Toys or NECA?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is better, Hot Toys or Neca?

• Hot Toys

Votes: 164 90.6%
  • Neca

Votes: 17 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to collecting these types of figures(mostly of my collection is statues), so which is the better company to collect? Money isn't really a problem and I want to get the best quality for my collection. Hot Toys and Neca are the main company's I'm interested in because of their Terminator, Alien and Predator lines. Who has the better reputation for quality and value retention? Thanks in advance.

Hot Toys wins I think for value retention and overall quality. Neca makes some pretty cool figures at a cheap prices, though.

Oh dear, I predict a riot in this thread.

If money is no issue, Hot Toys for quality and value retention. Their figures additionally will be more impressive to people viewing your collection.

But there are good and solid arguments in favour of NECA where it concerns accuracy to source material. There are many who favour this above all else.

If money is not an object, I'd say collect both.
You can't really compare both lines, as they have very different philosophies, strengths and weaknesses.
Hot Toys makes (mostly -and I say "mostly" because lately they have begun to sacrifice articulation for aesthetics; just take a look at the Arnold T-800 body, Wolverine body or the new preds from Predators) highly articulated, high-end figures that come with multiple accessories and real clothing.
NECA makes more conventional entry level "action figures" that are completely made of plastic (no cloth items or any other materials) and their focus is usually on the accuracy of the sculpt. Their figures have always been targeted at the 7" crowd with occasional 12" and 18" releases.

So don't choose either or, just buy the ones that really strike your fancy, as a collector I've enjoyed immensely both types of collectibles.

Have you ever bought any other type of 1/6 scale "dolls"? You know, DiD or DML military figures? Or where you ever a collector of McFarlane-type figures?

I'm sure this thread would open a can of worms if the NECA Alien thread is any indication, though I hope not

Both companies go for different markets and their figures reflect that.

I've gone the HT route because their figures offer more poseability and are much much better at being a display piece. Unfortunately, they have a higher price, and if you plan to collect HT's Predators, you'll be spending a lot. They sell out too fast, and thus, the prices jack up ridiculously :( I so wanted to get my hands on the Predator from P2 and I see it going for 600-800 dollars now :(

NECA's figures are good as well, especially considering the price. I hadn't gone for their Preds two reasons: first is that HT's preds have a lot more detail and articulation, and second is that their 1:6th Preds are hard to come by where I live and I don't want to go into the 7" line.

However, I might get their 1:6th stealth version since HT doesn't do them, and if I find a 1:6th NECA P2, I'm going to snap ,it up in a jiffy :) I'm not willing to plump down serious cash for the old HT release.

BTW, I'm REALLY disappointed by HT's decision to favor form over function with their upcoming Predators. I'll still be getting them, but I sincerely hope HT doesn't go this route any further.

@ plasmid303:

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that this is a sincere inquiry. I actually had the exact dilemma when I wanted to jump in the Predator bandwagon not too long ago. I ultimately went for HT, but I still see myself going for some of those 1:6th NECA Preds, especially the stealth ones.

Last edited:
I'm sure this thread would open a can of worms if the NECA Alien thread is any indication, though I hope not

Both companies go for different markets and their figures reflect that.

I've gone the HT route because their figures offer more poseability and are much much better at being a display piece. Unfortunately, they have a higher price, and if you plan to collect HT's Predators, you'll be spending a lot. They sell out too fast, and thus, the prices jack up ridiculously :( I so wanted to get my hands on the Predator from P2 and I see it going for 600-800 dollars now :(

NECA's figures are good as well, especially considering the price. I hadn't gone for their Preds two reasons: first is that HT's preds have a lot more detail and articulation, and second is that their 1:6th Preds are hard to come by where I live and I don't want to go into the 7" line.

However, I might get their 1:6th stealth version since HT doesn't do them, and if I find a 1:6th NECA P2, I'm going to snap ,it up in a jiffy :) I'm not willing to plump down serious cash for the old HT release.

BTW, I'm REALLY disappointed by HT's decision to favor form over function with their upcoming Predators. I'll still be getting them, but I sincerely hope HT doesn't go this route any further.

@ plasmid303:

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that this is a sincere inquiry. I actually had the exact dilemma when I wanted to jump in the Predator bandwagon not too long ago. I ultimately went for HT, but I still see myself going for some of those 1:6th NECA Preds, especially the stealth ones.

Uhm... there are no 1/6 NECA predators.

Given the parameters laid down in the original post, yes.

But if he had asked which company would give him the most accurate Alien, predator and Terminator collectibles, NECA would rightfully win.

Hot Toys. Now that I'm only a 1:6 collector, I haven't bought anything from NECA in years. I don't know what their quality is like these days.

Hot Toys, easily. NECA does great stuff for the price, but either way, you get what you pay for. So if money really isn't an object, HT is the way to go.

you cant compare £15 toy figures ( neca) to high end £150 collectibles (hot toys) in any way shape or form IMO!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back