HOT TOYS new 1/6 scale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaI2EAPEi2

Super Freak
Reaction score
So lets get started. I am one of those guys that thinks Hot Toys is actually moving on to 1/6 scale rather then just 12 inch figures. I am almost 100% sure this is where they are headed. The new MOS figure is not a giant by any means but near perfect scale. Now that being said I believe future releases will begin having this new scale. Now I am not sure if they are going by actors actual height or just by height differences in the movie. For example I know Shannon (6'3) is taller then Cavill (6'1), but in the movie they were about the same height, which leads me to assume they are going by height differences in the movie, which make me lean towards the scale being made after the height in the movies not the actors' heights themselves. I prefer this because I would like my figures to be as movie accurate as possible. That being said here is some proof. I've done a little research and this is what I've found. The MOS supes and jor el are perfectly scaled to each other (see pictures below) I also decided to look at Thor's original figure and it is stated that he is 30 cm tall which is about 11.8 inches, and the new Thor figure coming out is said to be about 32 cm which is about 12.6 inches. That's a huge difference, but an accurate one. Thor should be taller then MOS since Hemsworth is 6'3 and Cavil 6'1, so the new Thor is 12.6 inches compared to MOS at 12.3. This proves my theory. If they weren't doing a new accurate scale why would the new Thor tower (and I mean TOWER) over the old ones? Also this means that Thor (6'3) will actually be taller then Loki (6'2) which is accurate. I got all of these heights from the descriptions given by hot toys and sideshow. We will see once we have DW Thor which comes out in September. I suspect the new Captain America figure will be listed as approximately 31 cm compared to his Avengers being listed at 30 cm, but will be right under like 30.8 since he is only an inch shorter than cavil.
Leave your input and let us know what you think :D

As you can see the top of crowe's forehead reaches cavil's eyebrows on both the figures and the actor.

Last edited:
I guess time will tell actually. I didn't pay that close attention to the new specs before and find your observation very interesting. I hope you're right too. I wonder how the Hulk fits into that scale now? Is he in scale already? And if this is indeed the case, just imagine how BIG future figures of larger characters are going to be!

I guess time will tell actually. I didn't pay that close attention to the new specs before and find your observation very interesting. I hope you're right too. I wonder how the Hulk fits into that scale now? Is he in scale already? And if this is indeed the case, just imagine how BIG future figures of larger characters are going to be!

Well i remember everyone use to complain how tall the hot toys hulk was compared to the avengers...ill find some screen caps and compare them to supes. it would be helpful if someone posted hulk next to thor as well.

Everyone complained he was too tall.
I reckon Hulk may have been the forerunner. Like they got a size for the CG character, went with that, and then realised all their previous figures were 12" scale, and not 1/6.
Based on figures where we have had complaints in the past, Tony Start Armour Test might be one of the first examples of proper 1/6, with how big his head was compared to the older IM armours.
DX13 sculpts are about the same as the DX10, but they utilise the same body(With mods), and couldn't really be scaled up.
Of course, we are seeing pics where the Wolverine head looks too big on the TTM19 body and that could also be a newly scaled head on the older body.
We will know for sure if the TTM23 is the Cavill body for kitbashing in the new scale!

Sounds good to me. Although after seeing the pics of the Rock as GI Joe Roadblock it looks like the opposite might be true in some cases. Not to mention mixing old figures with new is going to be a bit of a pain for a while, but the slightly larger size will also mean that much more detail.

Sounds good to me. Although after seeing the pics of the Rock as GI Joe Roadblock it looks like the opposite might be true in some cases. Not to mention mixing old figures with new is going to be a bit of a pain for a while, but the slightly larger size will also mean that much more detail.

im not sure about road block but he is mms 199. I believe it started with superman who was mms 200 and jor el mms 201. just my two cents.

The pics of that body stripped down look like the TTM20 moulded in another colour, but with a different pec/neck area instead of those gigantic arnie pecs.
So it would have to follow the old system, if reusing an older body.

nude.jpg

Hot Toys uses relatively few base bodies. They pick whichever one is closest to the actor. Beyond that, they can adjust ankle length and other minor things. But none of that is new. If they are getting better, that's just part of them upping there game all around.

But it's not like they are going to start making special hight accurate bodies for every character or something radical like that.

Nice theory - except - Amazing Spider-Man. He's nowhere near 1/6 if Garfield is 5'10.5"

It could be that this harks back to the "perceived" height of the character as mentioned above.
Although Garfield is 30, isn't he supposed to be playing a kid still at school in the first movie?
I only saw it the once because it was so lousy, but i seem to recall he was not supposed to be close to to 30 and if he's supposed to be 16, maybe they were going with the smaller, weedy 16 year old kid look?
Just a thought.

Nice theory - except - Amazing Spider-Man. He's nowhere near 1/6 if Garfield is 5'10.5"

The amazing spiderman wouldn't be part of this new scale since he was mms 179 I believe. MOS was the first one so it would be any mms 200 and up. I think figures like the dk Alfred that will be released later on this year will be in the old scale since it would be absurd to ruin that line with a giant Alfred. So if they make Rhas al gul, commissioner Gordon, Fox, and Blake I believe and hope they stick with the old scale. Any new movie like Superman VS Batman, new Cap America, Amazing Spiderman 2, avengers 2 stick with the new scale since Thor Dark World is part of the new scale as well.

Hot Toys uses relatively few base bodies. They pick whichever one is closest to the actor. Beyond that, they can adjust ankle length and other minor things. But none of that is new. If they are getting better, that's just part of them upping there game all around.

But it's not like they are going to start making special hight accurate bodies for every character or something radical like that.

Nail on the head. Although, it would be nice if they made specific bodies for each character/actor. Or at least ones that really need it. Like Indy did. The body they used for ROTLA was grossly inappropriate.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Nail on the head. Although, it would be nice if they made specific bodies for each character/actor. Or at least ones that really need it. Like Indy did. The body they used for ROTLA was grossly inappropriate.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

AS you guys stated they do modify the bodies... sometimes a lot like the mos body and road block. I wonder what the new body for thor will look like, maybe and extended torso?

If your theory is correct don't you think Hot Toys would tout how amazing this new Phenomenon is themselves? You really think Howard Chan wouldn't have broke the details to a HK magazine at the very least?... It's just a case of hit and miss with these guys.

If your theory is correct don't you think Hot Toys would tout how amazing this new Phenomenon is themselves? You really think Howard Chan wouldn't have broke the details to a HK magazine at the very least?... It's just a case of hit and miss with these guys.

That's what I'm thinking too. MOS Superman is not a "new" scale, he's just too tall. Are the heads and hands of MOS Supes and Jor-El proportionally larger than those of other 1/6 figures from HT?

Yup .

That's the same with press releases.
Sometimes they make a big deal. Sometimes they don't.
If it turns out to be true, they will not want to come out and admit to the buying public that the army of 1/6 characters you spent your wages on for the last ten years are NOT 1/6. They are Barbie scale.

BINGO. Someone gets it.

We'll see more under scaled figures in the future.

Back