1/6 Hot Toys Luke Skywalker - Dark Empire (Legends)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AGREED! When I think of 90's Star Wars comics, his art is what comes to mind. Easily one of the most defining & memorable looks of Star Wars comic lore. I am lucky enough to own one of his pages from the Boba Fett comic.

395343812_10224963972022913_5657197098548669644_n.jpg
That's insanely cool.

The first review:

master1151 said:
I grabbed a hair transplant version, it’s so cool!

master1151 said:
The new head sculpt this time is awesome and handsome. . . The DX25 that was just released last time in my hand was instantly compared to it. Moreover, this time the height has changed from 28cm to 30cm. The head sculpt feels a little longer and looks more handsome. I really feel the preciousness of my son. . .

https://bbs.bbicn.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=401964&extra=page=1

AGREED! When I think of 90's Star Wars comics, his art is what comes to mind. Easily one of the most defining & memorable looks of Star Wars comic lore. I am lucky enough to own one of his pages from the Boba Fett comic.

View attachment 700836All that being said- I do wish this figure looked a bit more like the Cam Kennedy version from Dark Empire... but I also get that most folks likely remember or at least have a mental image of Dark Empire through the Dave Dorman covers (since that is what greets your eyes and what most image searches bring up). The Vader-inspired look is probably a bit more visually interesting in three dimensions too (though I do still LOVE that Expanded Universe Dark Empire Luke figure).

I am happy that at least the gloves on this release seem more inspired by the Cam design than the Dorman covers, with the tight horizontal lines running the length of them.

As for the head sculpt... I think people are forgetting this isn't based on an onscreen appearance of Mark Hamill as Luke. This is based on comics featuring the Luke Skywalker character, drawn by actual artists and not using digitally manipulated images of the actor. The likeness on the covers (and especially the interiors) isn't 100% accurate to Mark Hamill either. They are fantasy illustrations inspired by his look.

Kind of like the Bad Batch releases. Based on art but trying to blend some Tem Morrison into the likeness.

So in that regard, I am totally fine with this Luke not looking exactly like what Mark Hamill looked like in 1989. I am actually quite happy it looks a little different... It doesn't feel like a customized Return of the Jedi Luke. This FEELS like Dark Empire Luke.

-James
I agree! I have always wanted a 1/6 EU Luke that looks like, well, "Luke" but not necessarily Mark Hamill. As that's how I tend to see him at anytime outside the OT films. Plus with parts from my endor look and some other adjustments he can be any Post-ROTJ look I really want.

The original Hasbro action figures were cool back in the day but not so much anymore.
View attachment 700808
Kenner :wink1:
Looks like they went for an amalgamation of the different looks in the comics.

The original Hasbro action figures were cool back in the day but not so much anymore.
View attachment 700808

Then they tried again with the Comic two packs.

The idea of a young clone emperor was interesting. The dark path Luke was fun and was presented well in a comic book setting but as a live action concept or figure it doesn’t translate well.

I’ll still be picking this up because it’s cool looking.
8ouyj8.jpg

8ouytj.jpg

Curious though I imagine few collectors opened them, the original line with the "3D" back-drops did invoke the Cam Kennedy art.

Last edited:
I'm going to try for the Artisan, but will get the standard if it falls through. Its really cool that HT are going for EU offerings. Before Disney bought LF, this was our story after ROTJ. Getting some representation of a Dark Side Luke is too cool to pass up. I love that he also comes with a red saber.

This is honestly one of the worst Star Wars figures Hot Toys has put out recently.

Re-using the famously bad ANH sculpt for an older luke figure is already so utterly bizarre and moronic, but then to take that sculpt and dedicate an Artisan edition out of it for our first Artisan Luke...

If I had to guess the latter is purely experimental, to see how to do shorter hair rooted figures and how they'll look in a fairly large production run, and whether to bother to do them at all in the future. If they use this sort of naff, niche version of Luke as a testing ground no ones gonna kick up a fuss if they blow it so maybe not a bad call.

It's the first artisan release that looks meh. All the other ones have nailed it, this one you can see has also been sculpted digitally at very high resolution, but it just vaguely resembles Mark, almost as an idolized version - for example he has kid eyebrows and no hint of butt chin at all.

View attachment 700836All that being said- I do wish this figure looked a bit more like the Cam Kennedy version from Dark Empire... but I also get that most folks likely remember or at least have a mental image of Dark Empire through the Dave Dorman covers (since that is what greets your eyes and what most image searches bring up). The Vader-inspired look is probably a bit more visually interesting in three dimensions too (though I do still LOVE that Expanded Universe Dark Empire Luke figure).

I am happy that at least the gloves on this release seem more inspired by the Cam design than the Dorman covers, with the tight horizontal lines running the length of them.

As for the head sculpt... I think people are forgetting this isn't based on an onscreen appearance of Mark Hamill as Luke. This is based on comics featuring the Luke Skywalker character, drawn by actual artists and not using digitally manipulated images of the actor. The likeness on the covers (and especially the interiors) isn't 100% accurate to Mark Hamill either. They are fantasy illustrations inspired by his look.

Kind of like the Bad Batch releases. Based on art but trying to blend some Tem Morrison into the likeness.

So in that regard, I am totally fine with this Luke not looking exactly like what Mark Hamill looked like in 1989. I am actually quite happy it looks a little different... It doesn't feel like a customized Return of the Jedi Luke. This FEELS like Dark Empire Luke.

-James
I get what you mean re: the arm bands. I’m glad I have some old Kylo bits, including the suit, laying around. Whether or not I pull the trigger here (I will…sigh), I’m confident I can mod him to look more like the POTF2/comic style. Always assumed Kylo’s outfit was heavily “inspired” by this look. I just which the cloak/cape had arm holes vs. being a true cape.

i got this from him waaaay back in 2007-2008 or so. He's in storage right now. and this picture doesn't have the lightsaber that Hurricane made, as he took this photo, and had not made the hilt yet.

Is hurricane still around? anyone know? View attachment 700849
For a 15-16 year old figure, that looks pretty good!
Hurricane was really ahead of his time. His Vaders still rival today's HT efforts in terms of accuracy.

Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago. I believe his wife posted using his account.

For a 15-16 year old figure, that looks pretty good!
Hurricane was really ahead of his time. His Vaders still rival today's HT efforts in terms of accuracy.

Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago. I believe his wife posted using his account.

Omg no! I remember hurricane!! I had no idea he passed away…

😢

Damn, that really sucks. He was a good guy.

I just got an extra Bespin/Mando Luke sculpt in the other day to throw on my ROTJ Luke, it looks amazing. I REALLY don’t get why Hot Toys chose to retool their pretty mid ANH proto from almost 10 years ago.

View attachment 700814

I would’ve been annoyed if they had reused this portrait again for this Luke…but at least it friggin looks like POST ROTJ Luke, not some weird “what if Mark never got into an accident and pursued a career in 80s rock with big hair, drugged the **** up out of his mind” look…

Even though this figure isn’t canon and IS a what if…AT LEAST have it look like the actor!

Back