HOT TOYS new 1/6 scale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't buy it. It would mean they need to retool bodies for almost every figure. I don't want a change in scale, I'm pretty mad that my Superman towers over Batman so much. I also wanted to bash a team of USAF guys to match up with Supes. His height makes that impossible. Honestly, I think HT simply screwed up.

The pics of that body stripped down look like the TTM20 moulded in another colour, but with a different pec/neck area instead of those gigantic arnie pecs.
So it would have to follow the old system, if reusing an older body.

nude.jpg

TTM20 legs and arms.... Torso/Pelvic from Barney Ross/Odin/Noland

I don't buy it. It would mean they need to retool bodies for almost every figure. I don't want a change in scale, I'm pretty mad that my Superman towers over Batman so much. I also wanted to bash a team of USAF guys to match up with Supes. His height makes that impossible. Honestly, I think HT simply screwed up.

WEll if you really think hot toys screwed up, you will be shocked when the new Thor is almost 2 inches taller then the other Thors previously released.

BINGO. Someone gets it.

We'll see more under scaled figures in the future.

Like Bar said most people are indeed against it so they wouldn't go out and make it a head line. People are extremely pissed that superman towers everyone already. As for under scaled figures in the future I agree. Like I said any figures from past movies as the Dark knight etc will be under scaled, because they will not make figures like Alfred or blake taller then bane and bats, so its a given they'll stay under scaled. The new scale would be for new movies like the new cap and thor.the new Thor is going to be a lot taller then the avengers or the original. I just don't see an explanation to why he is so much taller other then a new scale.

If your theory is correct don't you think Hot Toys would tout how amazing this new Phenomenon is themselves? You really think Howard Chan wouldn't have broke the details to a HK magazine at the very least?... It's just a case of hit and miss with these guys.

I very much suspect this is the truth, despite what some people want to believe.

Both MOS and ASM are wildly divergent from standard HT bodies. Since they made such effort to make custom bodies for them you'd think that if they were trying to go to actual 1/6 scale these both would fit that direction.

But HT Man of Steel is 33 cm tall - if he's true 1/6 scale that equals 6' 6" tall. Even if movie Clark is supposed to be taller than Cavill's 6'1" - that seems extreme.
HT Amazing Spider-man is 29.5 cm - if he's true 1/6 scale that equals 5' 9.5" - much closed to Garfield's actual 5' 10".

Last edited:
Both MOS and ASM are wildly divergent from standard HT bodies. Since they made such effort to make custom bodies for them you'd think that if they were trying to go to actual 1/6 scale these both would fit that direction.

But HT Man of Steel is 30 cm tall - if he's true 1/6 scale that equals 6' 6" tall. Even if movie Clark is supposed to be taller than Cavill's 6'1" - that seems extreme.
HT Amazing Spider-man is 29.5 cm - if he's true 1/6 scale that equals 5' 9.5" - much closed to Garfield's actual 5' 10".

I think your math is a little off. 6'6" translates to about 33cm in 1/6 scale ....
The difference between 6'6" and 5'10" is huge but you only have that equalling 0.5cm? ....I might be misunderstanding....

Dave needs to spend some time in Canada to let the cold air here prevent him from making typos when dealing with the metric system. ;)

But HT Man of Steel is 30 cm tall - if he's true 1/6 scale that equals 6' 6" tall. Even if movie Clark is supposed to be taller than Cavill's 6'1" - that seems extreme.

Dave is actually right here for the most part, 1/6 scale is actual measurable thing, not as complicated as people seem to think. Hot toys MOS is a mistake plain an simple, he is to tall, just like dave said he scales in at about 6'6" tall. How can this be determined, well here's the easy way

average male is about 5'8" tall, but to make the math easy lets call it at 6 foot, that said 12 inches would be 6 foot tall in 1/6 scale so every 2 inches is 1 foot

The rock figure is 12 5/8 inches tall, that scales at 6'4 1/2 which is nearly perfect as the rock is actually 6'5

The MOS figure should be 12 3/16 inches tall to be 6'1 and he is not he is 13 inches tall which puts him at 6'6"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hot toys already had the scale correct for the most part, if they want to make there figures larger we can't stop them, but if they do they will no longer be making 1/6 scale figures, MOS is not true 1/6 scale, its not 1/5 scale ether, its a plain an simple mistake.

Last edited:
Dave is actually right here for the most part, 1/6 scale is actual measurable thing, not as complicated as people seem to think. Hot toys MOS is a mistake plain an simple, he is to tall, just like dave said he scales in at about 6'6" tall. How can this be determined, well here's the easy way

average male is about 5'8" tall, but to make the math easy lets call it at 6 foot, that said 12 inches would be 6 foot tall in 1/6 scale so every 2 inches is 1 foot

The rock figure is 12 5/8 inches tall, that scales at 6'4 1/2 which is nearly perfect as the rock is actually 6'5

The MOS figure should be 12 3/16 inches tall to be 6'1 and he is not he is 13 inches tall which puts him at 6'6"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hot toys already had the scale correct for the most part, if they want to make there figures larger we can't stop them, but if they do they will no longer be making 1/6 scale figures, MOS is not true 1/6 scale, its not 1/5 scale ether, its a plain an simple mistake.

:goodpost:

I like the idea of true 1/6 scale. I want my figures to be as accurate as possible and it has always seemed silly to me that every figure is the same height. The MOS Superman is one of my favorite figures and having him bigger than Batman is fine with me because that's how I see the character. However, I can understand people not liking it because it is a big difference and probably about half an inch too tall. I'm curious to see how tall the new Thor figure is when it's released. I hope it's MOS sized because that's another character that I think should be represented as taller than normal figures. It'll be interesting to see if HT continues to attempt true 1/6 scale or if the complaining influences them to return to flat 12" figures.

The more generic bodies are, the easier it will be to replace them when at some point in the future they break.

It'll be interesting to see if HT continues to attempt true 1/6 scale or if the complaining influences them to return to flat 12" figures.

This statement doesn't hold water though, it's already been shown that Hot Toys, like in the past, just got the scale of MOS wrong. They are not attempting a "true" 1/6 scale any more than Sideshow with their 14" tall Vader or any more than they have in the past. All these figures are best described as 1/6-ish. And some are hits and some are misses for scale. It's always been the case and it will continue that way until someone develops base bodies with easy height adjustment.

I'm sure that they have their reasons for going to a larger body, but oversized is just as bad as undersized. And as Lejuan pointed out, a totally custom body means less parts available for repair and customizing.

Had Hot Toys not screwed up the size on MOS, I probably would have bought it.

Last edited:

When I mean in scale I meant it like. Thor should be taller then hawk eye. Ironman should be taller then cap A. There is no reason why bane, the joker, two face, and batman are all the same height. MY point is there is a new scale between figures from a movie line. They don't have to go by exact measurements of the real actors height to change the scale, and it wouldn't make since since in the movies some actors are made taller like bane.

This statement doesn't hold water though, it's already been shown that Hot Toys, like in the past, just got the scale of MOS wrong. They are not attempting a "true" 1/6 scale any more than Sideshow with their 14" tall Vader or any more than they have in the past. All these figures are best described as 1/6-ish. And some are hits and some are misses for scale. It's always been the case and it will continue that way until someone develops base bodies with easy height adjustment.

I'm sure that have their reasons for going to a larger body, but oversized is just as bad as undersized. And as Lejuan pointed out, a totally custom body means less parts available for repair and customizing.

Had Hot Toys not screwed up the size on MOS, I probably would have bought it.

How is MOS a mistake...HE IS in scale with jor el, Did you not see the pictures? Just cus he isn't in scale with other movie lines doesn't mean he is not in scale. I guess the new Thor would be an even greater mistake since he is TWO centimeters taller. No one has given me an explanation to that... Why is the new Thor so much taller then the 2 previous figures? The reason is because the previous 2 were too short. Shorter then loki which is plain wrong as he is taller in the movie, but the new one will be taller then loki which is correct, and no that's not a "mistake" by hot toys.

Very Interesting Discussion. I would like to think they had the scale correct for the most part. MOS was an anomoly. Having said that , time would tell.

How is MOS a mistake...HE IS in scale with jor el, Did you not see the pictures?

FIRST, some word definition in case we're thinking differently. Mistake does not mean by accident or by chance. A mistake is a wrongful action or judgment, but one that is always deliberate.

Because GZL said it was an attempt at a "true 1/6 scale" - it's not. It's just an oversized figure - simply the wrong size like so many before. Just because they happened to get one combination of characters at a decent relative scale doesn't mean they're changing over their entire operation. They'd be faced with the same problems they've always had. Remember that even if you only include their BASIC bodies, Hot Toys already had three build/heights that could be further tuned with different ankle pegs. They've made some figures at a pretty accurate scale, others not. They've made some scaled well to other in the same series and others not.

At the end of the day it's probably driven by business goals, not a desire for accuracy.

Here's one scenario for how the decision was made. They had a base body for Jor-El using existing moulds but were now left without anything to make Superman noticeably taller. So they made the new oversized body to maintain relative scale. It's a mistake, because now instead of a single incorrect character you have multiple at the wrong scale. They should probably have heightened one of their existing bodies to get a more accurate Superman and used a smaller body with padding for Jor-El. Then everyone's happy.

Last edited:
Back