Hot Toys-MS 110- IRON MAN-MARK III (Battle Damaged) spec + pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Joey, did you Mark III BD had any fading issues in the abs, crotch or neck area? :cuckoo:

I recently sold mine cause aside from the fact that I need some funds to purchase a HT Wolverine, the fading paint on his crotch & neck are just killin' me! :slap

Hey J, As far as I can tell I don't really have any ab fading... they are maybe a shade or two lighter than the hard plastic parts but I think it has always been like that. I got lucky I think!

Hi All,

Thought I would show some pics and post a bit about modifying my Mark 3 BD as I recently took the plunge and got my screwdrivers out :)

DSCN1020.jpg

Wow OK, after see this, I'm now determined to take apart my BD Mark III and do the full on mod, the difference is really night and day! I'd buy a new Mark III if HT releases one that looks this good. Really good job man! :clap

Hi All,

Thought I would show some pics and post a bit about modifying my Mark 3 BD as I recently took the plunge and got my screwdrivers out :)

DSCN1019.jpg

the mark 3.5!

So it started when I got fed up of my Mark 3 looking like the gimpy stepchild next to my Mark 4 and 6! I decided to see what I could do to improve it. Firstly, it had to have a hand upgrade to the superior poseable finger hands from the Mark 4 and 6. The colour match is pretty much spot on between 3BD and 4/6, looks like possibly even the same paint. They fit perfectly too. I got a set on ebay no problem for not too expensive. Everyone should do this mod I think!

Next, I wanted to address the two main issues with the bd - the giraffe neck and the anorexic waist. after a google hunt (which lead back to the sideshow forums, funnily enough!) I found some pics of the 3 taken completely apart, with instructions. Bingo.

So first, I did the 'neck mod.' I initially fancied putting my mark 4 head on as the proportions of the head look better. However it doesnt fit on the mark 3 neck so I used the mark 4 neck too - it fits, but it still looks like a giraffe neck.

next, I tried getting a spare Mark 4 neck on ebay to modify and experiment with - basically I pulled out the rubber socket in a bit to make it sit a bit lower in the torso. However it still looked a bit high So I put the mark 3 head on the modified mark 4 neck and left it like that for a bit. but it still looked too high! More drastic modification required.

I decided to take my mark 3 completely apart. It took me about 45 mins to get it into a pile of bits on desk. The main thing that took the time was the two gold coloured screw covers in the back. They are a _____ to get out! I made a little bit of a mess of the paint, but I have no plans to sell. Its a bit scary pulling apart something so nice and so expensive, but its something thats been bugging me for a while. I then took out the ball joint for the neck to attach to, in a bit to allow the neck to sit lower. The rubber collar is tight enough to hold either neck in place just fine without any sort of joint. So now I have the option of either the mark 3 or 4 head, both look pretty good and the heads sit as low as they possibly can without non reversable mods.

DSCN1022copy.jpg

Thoughts? which one looks best??

The waist mod was pretty straightforward - once I had iron man completely in bits I slipped two bits of folded card about 2mm thick each side down the sides of the rubber torso section. I also tweaked the mounting holes of the torso rubber section so it sat lower - I didnt like the slight gap between the pants and the torso that mine had. It was trickier to put back together as the chest part had to be stretched a bit wider to fit over the new wider torso. overall though, now the body section looks a bit less skinny.

conclusion...
I am happier with it now and glad I did the mods. it still looks gimpy and underfed, but a bit less so. The mark 4 hands, head and modded neck are definite improvements - it looks more accurate to the movie, closer to the original ht mark 3 and stands up a little better alongside 4 :)

Here they are for comparison! it has the mark 3 head / modded neck in some pics and the mark 4 head / modded neck in others. just to confuse everyone.

DSCN1020.jpg

DSCN1024.jpg

DSCN1025.jpg

DSCN1026.jpg

Incidently, taking the photos of these two together earlier I couldn't help but think that the HT mark 4 still looks miles better. if anyone has a mark 3 and thinks the mark 4 isnt different enough to get... well the pics speak for themselves...

Thanks for the tips, I just finally modded the waist on mine, makes a such difference, especially if you use the BD chest plate as it's more flush to the body. I find this figure looks so much better with a Tony Stark head sculpt or may be that's just me. I used the Mech Tech sculpt & got it customised in to a BD sculpt to match the body in battle version. Now he's ready & waiting to be lined up besides Iron Monger :)

Thanks for the tips, I just finally modded the waist on mine, makes a such difference, especially if you use the BD chest plate as it's more flush to the body. I find this figure looks so much better with a Tony Stark head sculpt or may be that's just me. I used the Mech Tech sculpt & got it customised in to a BD sculpt to match the body in battle version. Now he's ready & waiting to be lined up besides Iron Monger :)

:postpics:

Ha, I was waiting for that. I've only got my iPhone, my laptop broke & I've been meaning to replace it but I keep spending my money on figures :slap but I've try'd but can't seem to put pictures on here from my phone?

For everyone who owns a BD MK III, can the Sideshow Exclusive Damaged Helmet fit on the figures neck post? I looked inside and it looks like it has the socket for it.

I got excited with the Iron Monger specs and pics... and paid for one of this. Cant wait to get them and pose them together! ...still a long time.

Last edited:
My recently acquired BD MK III from EBay doesn't have any fading in normal light that I can see, but I'm not going to take it outside or put it under any bright lights for a finer look. I don't want to take the chance of some chemical reaction getting started or whatever.

My only problem with the figure at all is that it's too skinny, but I'm not going to take it apart and try any stuffing so I'm leaving it as is.

All and all it’s a great addition to my armor gallery (switched my original MK III with it), now if I can just get the MK II that I paid for a little over 2 weeks ago I’ll be finished.

*waits for Hot Toys to announce the New Improved Mark III*

*waits to be flamed for suggesting that Hot Toys should announce a New Improved Mark III*

Oh, no...I want a new Mark III. And this is coming from someone who owns every damn version except the horrible BD.

Back