Hot Toys - MMS489 D25 - Iron Man Mark XLVI (10th Anniversary Concept Art Version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i pulled the trigger early while they had supplies for replacements. glad i did since i had the torso replaced due to lighting issues. i love this figure in this color scheme.

Dis your lights work at first and then go out or were there issues from the beginning.

I appreciate you guys' feedback on my question. I'm at a standstill because realistically I want it to have next to the 46 and 47 armor but the color scheme is so similar to the 85 that I can't really justify it seeing as the 85 really wears it much better ti me on top of being a more essential armor. On top of that reading multiple people needing entire torso replaced is demotivating with the odds if replacement being more slim now. Ugh.

Dis your lights work at first and then go out or were there issues from the beginning.

it lit up first, the first time i tried. then it flickered while i was taking a vid of it on a turntable and it turned off. after that it just won't turn on at all. i've seen the horror posts here of all the QC issues beforehand but i've also seen collectors get it worked out with replacements. was on the fence because of this but i figured as long as there's still stocks when i ordered, SS would make it right with a whole figure or parts replacement. hope the folks getting the last few stocks won't have problems. not sure how SS or HT would resolve issues after that.

it lit up first, the first time i tried. then it flickered while i was taking a vid of it on a turntable and it turned off. after that it just won't turn on at all. i've seen the horror posts here of all the QC issues beforehand but i've also seen collectors get it worked out with replacements. was on the fence because of this but i figured as long as there's still stocks when i ordered, SS would make it right with a whole figure or parts replacement. hope the folks getting the last few stocks won't have problems. not sure how SS or HT would resolve issues after that.

I am guessing if no stock or parts are left they would have to give a full refund or if someone wanted a different item of equal or greater value.

I appreciate you guys' feedback on my question. I'm at a standstill because realistically I want it to have next to the 46 and 47 armor but the color scheme is so similar to the 85 that I can't really justify it seeing as the 85 really wears it much better ti me on top of being a more essential armor. On top of that reading multiple people needing entire torso replaced is demotivating with the odds if replacement being more slim now. Ugh.

i agree with you. i missed out on the 46 because i wasn't crazy about it at the time coz i just got the 45 (very similar color schemes). there's also the 46 being the first gen HT that has that a **** ton of LED so just like every thing first gen, it's scary to be the guinea pig. i loved the CW movie but i didn't jump on it. then came 47 but i already had the 6 diecast on PO (love that iconic suit) and decided i was just going for one suit for each avengers movie. so i missed out on that one, too. fast forward to recently and i had some extra money and an empty acrylic single display case with the marvel logo and ran into the 46 CA. so i thought about getting it as an ode to the movie CW and to the 10 year celebration of marvel studios awesomeness. i don't regret it at all even after the QC issue.

edit: on a sidenote, i also have the 50 and 85 is on PO xD

Photo Jul 02, 8 58 45 AM.jpg0

Phew, glad I pulled the trigger on this guy a few days ago! Sold my HT CW scarlet witch and used those funds to pick this up. No regrets.

Stunning figure...such shame about the issues. I went through 2 torsos and 3 legs before giving up. New torso is fine but all 3 legs were marked / scuffed, so I just kept the least noticeable.

I wonder what could have gone wrong with the production on this one?

i agree with you. i missed out on the 46 because i wasn't crazy about it at the time coz i just got the 45 (very similar color schemes). there's also the 46 being the first gen HT that has that a **** ton of LED so just like every thing first gen, it's scary to be the guinea pig. i loved the CW movie but i didn't jump on it. then came 47 but i already had the 6 diecast on PO (love that iconic suit) and decided i was just going for one suit for each avengers movie. so i missed out on that one, too. fast forward to recently and i had some extra money and an empty acrylic single display case with the marvel logo and ran into the 46 CA. so i thought about getting it as an ode to the movie CW and to the 10 year celebration of marvel studios awesomeness. i don't regret it at all even after the QC issue.

edit: on a sidenote, i also have the 50 and 85 is on PO xD

View attachment 4594890

Dope case, where'd you get it from?

I'm out of the country on a project and sideshow can't put a shipping hold on my account until I get back, as they have a max of 1 month. Went ahead and ordered 2 of these guys to be safe. Some of the comments and issues seen here are scary lol. If the first one I open up has no issues, I'll go ahead and sell the second one. If both have issues, well then... Sucks for me I guess.

Dope case, where'd you get it from?

i can't find it anymore. was on eBay a few years back and was the only case 18" and high enough for flight poses. other standalone cases are 15" and only allow for the figure to stand inside. kinda similar to this but the top also builds like the bottom:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-Acrylic-Display-Case-12-inch-figure-1-6-scale-gundam-collection/261146614667?epid=1831520000&hash=item3ccd8d1b8b:g:jQQAAOSw7ThUl71L

it needs assembly when you get it and by default, it's a top opening case which was a pain to put a figure in without ruining the pose or possibly dropping it inside. but because the top and bottom are very alike, i rearranged the assembly where the bottom is open and i just lift up the whole thing to do lights or repose then drop the whole case back on. oh and the marvel badge was a bonus and one i wasn't sure was actually included lol

Stunning figure...such shame about the issues. I went through 2 torsos and 3 legs before giving up. New torso is fine but all 3 legs were marked / scuffed, so I just kept the least noticeable.

I wonder what could have gone wrong with the production on this one?

yeah, i don't know how they could've messed it up after all the production of the 46 and 47. but is it true they fixed the shoulder gap thing with this concept art compared to the 46 and 47? coz that would mean new design and parts... one may speculate they had surplus but substandard materials that they didn't want to go to waste so we get a repaint and re-badged 10 year anniv lol

yeah, i don't know how they could've messed it up after all the production of the 46 and 47. but is it true they fixed the shoulder gap thing with this concept art compared to the 46 and 47? coz that would mean new design and parts... one may speculate they had surplus but substandard materials that they didn't want to go to waste so we get a repaint and re-badged 10 year anniv lol

Got the notification email that had Jim’s post and was actually coming back to speculate that these parts may just have been poorly binned/defective leftovers from their CW Mk. XLVI & SMHC Mk. XLVII’s; looks like we were thinking the same thing. I mean I have never seen a diecast HT Armor have as many issues with bad paint, defective wiring, glue marks, gouges, etc. Even with all the parts and how much the design changed with the diecast IM3 Mk. XLII, which had its fare share of issues, the return/replacements weren’t nearly as many as this CA Mk. XLVI so it’s very likely many of those were reused parts.

Regarding the shoulder gap deal... look man, there’s people who swear up and down that there’s an improvement over the previous paints but not only do I NOT see it, I have pulled arms out of sockets and can not identify any mechanical differences. That being said, it’s possible, though I highly doubt it, that the “improved” parts might be the shoulder barrels. I was not able to completely tear down my bad torso so I can’t definitively say that there is no change but it’s really doubtful.

Got the notification email that had Jim’s post and was actually coming back to speculate that these parts may just have been poorly binned/defective leftovers from their CW Mk. XLVI & SMHC Mk. XLVII’s; looks like we were thinking the same thing. I mean I have never seen a diecast HT Armor have as many issues with bad paint, defective wiring, glue marks, gouges, etc. Even with all the parts and how much the design changed with the diecast IM3 Mk. XLII, which had its fare share of issues, the return/replacements weren’t nearly as many as this CA Mk. XLVI so it’s very likely many of those were reused parts.

Regarding the shoulder gap deal... look man, there’s people who swear up and down that there’s an improvement over the previous paints but not only do I NOT see it, I have pulled arms out of sockets and can not identify any mechanical differences. That being said, it’s possible, though I highly doubt it, that the “improved” parts might be the shoulder barrels. I was not able to completely tear down my bad torso so I can’t definitively say that there is no change but it’s really doubtful.

i tore down my bad torso but then i don't have the 46 or 47 to compare with. not really a big deal since i don't see issues when i see pics of the original 46 as well as the 47 :huh i don't see HT spending time and resources re-designing the working 46 and 47 since there wasn't much outcry that i know of about a "shoulder-gate" :rotfl

Well I placed my order last night from the waitlist conversion. Hopefully mine comes with no issues.

i too, have to agree about this poorly manufactured mk46 concept version. i had a replacement from SS. while the replacement was lesser scuffed up, the scuffing and paintwork shows the manufacturing process was rushed/ i could spot black dots at few spots. very disappointed with this piece.

i can't find it anymore. was on eBay a few years back and was the only case 18" and high enough for flight poses. other standalone cases are 15" and only allow for the figure to stand inside. kinda similar to this but the top also builds like the bottom:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-Acrylic-Display-Case-12-inch-figure-1-6-scale-gundam-collection/261146614667?epid=1831520000&hash=item3ccd8d1b8b:g:jQQAAOSw7ThUl71L

it needs assembly when you get it and by default, it's a top opening case which was a pain to put a figure in without ruining the pose or possibly dropping it inside. but because the top and bottom are very alike, i rearranged the assembly where the bottom is open and i just lift up the whole thing to do lights or repose then drop the whole case back on. oh and the marvel badge was a bonus and one i wasn't sure was actually included lol

Thanks for the info man! Although, yeesh, the shipping is more than half the cost of the actual item!

Seems like the one I just got, waitlisted, has a decent paint application. Looking at the stock photos, the paint damage is where it should be. I haven't got an IM figure in a while, the last one was from IM 3 diecast, but holy hell is it a pain to put the little batteries in. They keep popping out all the time. Luckily all the lights on this guy look great though. I didn't realize there were so many lights on the torso.

Seems like the one I just got, waitlisted, has a decent paint application. Looking at the stock photos, the paint damage is where it should be. I haven't got an IM figure in a while, the last one was from IM 3 diecast, but holy hell is it a pain to put the little batteries in. They keep popping out all the time. Luckily all the lights on this guy look great though. I didn't realize there were so many lights on the torso.

Congrats! Yes, lots of lights. I'm skipping the shoulder armor lights tho for display plus the soap reactor doesn't offer a 3V (2-batt) plugin option. Everything else is 4.5V (3-batt) but I understand the shoulder is a bit small for the usual batt compartment. PITA to turn on/off tho and only facing backwards so...

Back