Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agree. And there's many, many people that think Bespin Luke is THE Luke.

But Jedi Luke is the fully-realized Luke -- being the ultimate thing he is destined to be. I like Commander Skywalker. Somewhere in the middle. Some powers, but not all powerful. Still the underdog.

Nice!

I've never said it on here, but that's precisely what I consider ESB Luke to be: Commander Skywalker. If I were to have one Luke, Bespin is the one I'd have for the very same reasons you stated.

I find it hard to quantify the sculpts that look "off" but my list is close to SilverStar's.

From best to worst. (In terms of head sculpt likeness, not overall figure quality obviously).

TFA Han - 9.5
RO Chirrut - 9.5
ANH Leia - 9.5
ROTJ Luke - 9
RO Jyn - 8.5
ESB Luke - BD - 8.5
TFA Finn - 8
ESB Luke - Clean - 8
ANH Han - 8
TFA Luke - 7.5
ANH Luke - 7
TFA Rey 7
ANH Kenobi - 6.5

Nearly the same as mine indeed. :duff

I though that Rey looked way closer than Han or ANH Luke..

After seeing the Jnix head sculpt, Han is one of the worst IMO.

I'm the outsider when it comes to the stock HT Han sculpt, in that while most dislike it, I actually really like it. TonTon's is the best Jnix Han sculpt I've seen; generally, I've never really been overly impressed with it myself.

While Rey isn't terrible at a 6.5-7 ranking for me, it still looks a little odd to me. Her eyes look a bit wide and it almost seems like she has the black oil eyes from X-Files. The expression is just a little peculiar to me as well. Overall it's a good effort, but I expect it'll probably be a better portrait with TLJ figure(s).

I thought Harley's expression fit well with the character. Generally expressions showing teeth are a gamble because it can easily throw off a likeness, but I think they nailed it in this case.

My personal facial likeness sculpt ranks for HT's SW offerings are as follows:

ANH
Leia: 9
Han Solo: 8
Han Solo (SD): 8
Chewie: 7.5
Obi-Wan: 7.5
Luke Skywalker: 6.5-7
Tarkin (presumably ANH): TBD :lol

ESB
Hoth Leia: 9.5 (proto)
DX07 Bespin Luke Skywalker: 8.5 (both clean and BD)
Yoda: 7.5-8 (closed eyes) 7 (regular)

RotJ
Luke Skywalker: 9 (proto)

TFA
Han Solo: 9.5
Finn: 8.5
Luke Skywalker: 7.5-8 (proto)
Rey: 6.5-7
Chewie: 5

R1
Chirrut Imwe: 10
Jyn Erso: 9.5 (proto)

I'm sure many will probably disagree, but that's just my personal rankings.

Ouch - ANH Luke gets a grade below generic-old-man-with-grey-beard and even Chewy.:horror :lol

Can't say I'd grade him that low, but that copper watermelon that dominates his head doesn't help.

And poor ol' Yoda at 7 (though that one I'd kinda agree on.) That grade starts to put it pretty firmly in the "miss" column?

And FYI, your ANH HT scores average out at between 7.5 and 8. That's not great for HT.

9c1c4aabbb12bbae1ef6a65f9386c6b0.jpg

96b25e98a6082f3de48d79dcb4a3f3ea.jpg

Pretty close.

Looking closely at the hair style, i can see where it could throw the likeness off a little. The "wave" used on the HT sculpt has more of a contemporary vibe to it while Hamill's haircut with hair falling straight on the forefront is definitely giving away when ROTJ was actually filmed... the 80s

Face looks good, but I think his hair is too long in the portrayed sculpt. They should have trimmed up the bangs a bit more.

Pretty close.

Really good comparison shots.

As you say it's pretty close. For me the area below the nose and top lip ( including the top lip ) is a little more "puffy" than it should be and also the hair has a bit too much wave in it. That being said, sculpted hair is always a really hard thing to replicate, even more so with very fine hair like Hamill had at the time. Overall I'm really happy with this figure. It was a day one pre order for me along with many others.

Like.. I think this sculpt is far more impressive than for example HT dr. Strange. Why? Cause I've seen several good Condorsnotch sculps, he has very strong features and is therefor a sculptors dream. Hamill is the opposite of this.

Pretty close.

Great comparison post......it illustrates very well what I think off here.....which is the brow line and eye brows......which is very hard to capture in a figure and happen to be a prominent part of Hamill's face.

And the general shape around the mouth. I also agree the hair throws it off......His hair was always wind blown and showed alot of forehead in most scenes. This dome they put over his head makes it look like a wig. This is one of the reasons I like Bespin more.....they captures that windblown look better.

As far as the ranking .......that list is pretty accurate, although I would move Rey up a few points and slightly drop ROTJ Luke.......

And just take Chewie off the list entirely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There really is a lot of truth to the idea of how a figure looks "in-hand", versus pictures. Yesterday, I was at my 1/6 crack dealer, Toy Square in Markham Ontario (really great store, if you are a collector and live in the Toronto area), and I was reminded of this.
I think it's fair to say that most collectors only see most figures in pics and videos, because no collector buys EVERY figure, and there really aren't that many retail stores around that have these displayed on shelves. Also, due to the nature of the industry, most of the time we have to decide on a purchase based on pics or videos.
But seeing a large number of figures, old and new, posed on shelves, really provides a different perspective (kind of like watching sports on TV versus watching it live). The reality is that even the figures that have a 70% likeness in pictures, look FANTASTIC on the shelf. If anything, it's the tailoring of the outfits that give away the age of the figure. In my opinion, looking at close-up, macro photos of figure headsculpts is almost as misleading as looking at over-lit (flash) poorly posed/futzed pics of figures.
Going to the store yesterday just reinforced my confidence in how good this will look in my Star Wars display. And reminded me to just keep collecting the characters I want... outside of some niggles, I'm likely going to be very happy.

Probably the most true statement is Macro photos are not the friend of 1/6 collecting.....as we do not have microscope eyes.......

Having been to ALOT of retail 1/6 stores all over the world.....nothing could be more true.....
However, the best sculpts still shine in any pic in any zoom level.

This is probably the best picture of the figure...with the best likeness to a particular scene...
04c4b9bb32aa2b3b5a3d821c59169229.jpg
63a5350e21af23f7eb6e88ed390098fe.jpg

This is probably the best picture of the figure...with the best likeness to a particular scene...

If they sculpted the hair using that picture as a reference then they really hit the bullseye! That is spot on.

When I first saw the figure I felt it had a bit of capture and mostly the point of fact look when he is telling Jabba to bring Han and the Wookiee to him.

It is a fabulous likeness.

Even photographs of ourselves can look off due to so many minute parameters in the muscles in a human face.

Back