Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hair was sculpted to be more like when he meets up with Vader.

main-qimg-6131c301e1f93ea11fba92a3e2c32dd3-c

And Jabba's Palace first encounter IMO

I can only think why they added the teeth to diversify because both Bespin and ANH Luke had closed mouths

I would be nice to have a post vader beatdown hair style.

Or any of the hair styles in the Jabba scenes. That hair makes you think there must be a deleted scene where he carefully combs his hair before going off to meet Dad.

Or any of the hair styles in the Jabba scenes. That hair makes you think there must be a deleted scene where he carefully combs his hair before going off to meet Dad.

:exactly: if they were going to add teeth, make it an extra sculpt with different hair variations

But still give us a stern serious sculpt as well

On the topic of the hair style, unfortunately in this movie, there are a number of variations to how his hair looked at any given point. What Hot Toys has elected to do, and most toy companies have, is capture what could be considered the most representative look. A lot of promo shots and moments in the film are relatively like this hair style. Because it's a "summary", there will certainly be folks who aren't happy with the choice.

It's definitely not my top choice, I liked what Sideshow chose for their 1/6 figure better, but for what HT is representing, it's very well executed.

Regarding the topic of people getting the figure in hand and changing their opinion, that is only natural.

How a camera interprets things and how the human eye does are very different. There have been numerous times when I'm shooting collectibles that I look at it with my eye and feel like I've got a great shot, then I get behind the camera and no matter what I do, I can't get a photo that captures what I saw with my eye. You're also looking at a 2D representation vs the 3D object. It's not possible to replicate the experience of seeing something face to face through a photo. You can show it off and do creative things, but they are two wholly different experiences.

The challenge on us as collectors is training our eyes to anticipate the in hand experience from photos, judge whether we feel what we thing a piece will be like in hand meets our wishes and order based on that. It's not a perfect science so sometimes you'll get disappointed and sometimes it'll work out just as expected.

On the topic of the hair style, unfortunately in this movie, there are a number of variations to how his hair looked at any given point. What Hot Toys has elected to do, and most toy companies have, is capture what could be considered the most representative look. A lot of promo shots and moments in the film are relatively like this hair style. Because it's a "summary", there will certainly be folks who aren't happy with the choice.

It's definitely not my top choice, I liked what Sideshow chose for their 1/6 figure better, but for what HT is representing, it's very well executed.

Regarding the topic of people getting the figure in hand and changing their opinion, that is only natural.

How a camera interprets things and how the human eye does are very different. There have been numerous times when I'm shooting collectibles that I look at it with my eye and feel like I've got a great shot, then I get behind the camera and no matter what I do, I can't get a photo that captures what I saw with my eye. You're also looking at a 2D representation vs the 3D object. It's not possible to replicate the experience of seeing something face to face through a photo. You can show it off and do creative things, but they are two wholly different experiences.

The challenge on us as collectors is training our eyes to anticipate the in hand experience from photos, judge whether we feel what we thing a piece will be like in hand meets our wishes and order based on that. It's not a perfect science so sometimes you'll get disappointed and sometimes it'll work out just as expected.

I see what you mean..but I still welcome this variation over the farmboy sculpt anytime so This is going to be a gem

I can only think why they added the teeth to diversify because both Bespin and ANH Luke had closed mouths

Like many have said, Hamill seemed to often have his mouth open in a manner similar to the figure sculpt, like he had breathing issues or with intent to express frequent shock or something. When I think of Luke in this movie that's how I envision him, and the almost "deer in headlights" eyes, which is why I was happy with the Sideshow figure. Yes this doesn't represent 100% of the time, but again, it's a figure capturing the overall.

I wish this figure had a jointed neck. Also - I'm not really a fan of the open mouth. But other than those things, it's perfect. I still pre-ordered it on the first day.

I think Hamill's jawline gets way too defined when the neck is separate--like on Farmboy Luke, though I understand with the open shirt on that figure, there's not a better option.

That's a 9.5 outa 10 sculpt if there ever was one.
I hate to be one of those people that complain about dolls, and I didn't even notice it until I saw this side by side, but his eyes are kind of dark in the proto pics, could just be lighting.

The whites of his eyes are not highlighted as much as the movie still. Plus it looks like the irises are too big and not show enough of the white in these pics.

I couldn't agree more with this. And what you said about how you picture ROTJ Luke when you think of him.
It's a pretty spectacular sculpt in my opinion, and I while I understand the tendencies of this forum (for nit-pickery), I think everyone needs to realize it goes the other way, too.
Because if this was a Jnix sculpt, everyone would be flooding their basements over it.

Absolutely shocking move on Hot Toys part, charging full price for a cloak and different head-sculpt
1125x682_previewbanner__903108_HTLukeSkywalkerEndor.jpg

Not really shocking, Hot Toys knows that if they make two figures they'll both sell, makes them more money than charging a little bit more for more accessories on one figure.

Not really shocking, Hot Toys knows that if they make two figures they'll both sell, makes them more money than charging a little bit more for more accessories on one figure.

:exactly: It was inevitable that they would do this so I'm not surprised one bit! I'm happy with the other version (like the head sculpt more) so won't be buying this one, but suppose its good for collectors who were planning on buying a couple anyway - gives them a bit of variation for displays. :)

Back