Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the SSC tunic better than the HT's one?

:dunno

Picked it up to check out if it was better. The Hot Toys one comes across as a little short sometimes, but this comes across as a little long. I think I prefer the Sideshow fabric. It has a snap on the bag to keep it closed, which isn't great -- the velcro attachment on the HT is better.

I agree that it looks a little long.

Here's a compare. I'd say the material is better (personally the slightly more gray contrast against the otherwise all black suit is part of what I prefer), but it's not perfect. That said I think I'll probably hold on to it. Couldn't do the proper straight side by side as I only have the one figure.

luke-compare.jpg

I also agree that I like the look of the material of the SSC one better; however, I think I prefer the hue of the HT one. The SSC appears to have a bit too much of a bluish tint to me. Could just be the lighting though. The width of the tabs (not sure what they’re called) on the tunic on the HT one also look more accurate to me. They look slightly too thin on the SSC one.

To my eye, the color of the HT one looks closer to this:

1B96726E-B4AD-4BF8-9FF4-B221DB687719.jpeg

Here's a compare. I'd say the material is better (personally the slightly more gray contrast against the otherwise all black suit is part of what I prefer), but it's not perfect. That said I think I'll probably hold on to it. Couldn't do the proper straight side by side as I only have the one figure.

View attachment 443708

I don't really prefer one over the other. The color of the HT looks a bit more accurate to the screenshots but the Sideshow looks more like the color I remember it being as a kid.

View attachment 443615View attachment 443616View attachment 443617View attachment 443618
Ok Freaks, I need some help. I picked this Luke up from my local store and when I got him home and opened him up, I just can't see the resemblance of the head sculpt to the box art and to other head sculpts I've seen here and on eBay. I took a few pics in true light and from inside the house. Also, this figure was not brand new when I got it. Is it me or is my head sculpt off for some reason. I've sat and stared at it with my own eyes and I can't see it but I do see it in the pics. Sorry about the side wards pics in advance.
It looks legit to me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

The head sculpt is off but all of them are. It just is not a fabulous likeness in my opinion. The figure you have in hand looks exactly like mine.

For some reason, the hair on his Luke looks extra thick and cadbury egg like.

Attachments

• 1BAD29EC-B170-4D2A-A59D-1361F258FA43.jpg
    1BAD29EC-B170-4D2A-A59D-1361F258FA43.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 268
For some reason, the hair on his Luke looks extra thick and cadbury egg like.

I have one of those on the dashboard of my car and look at it all the time. It’s the real deal. The bootleggers haven’t copied this one yet. They will eventually. But they haven’t yet. These heads need a copper mould and that takes time to get ready.

I may be brave enough to remove the fat suit but I doubt I would talented enough to redo the tailoring on it. Lol
Thanks for the info on how to take the fat suit off though. I'll have to watch the video and read your posts on how to do that.

Might just throw my two cents in. Feel free to ignore, pinch of salt and all that....I avoided the fat suit mod myself. I did find that shuffling his belt down seemed to distribute the proportions a bit better and lessen the "chunk" factor. To my eyes, what I see on the shelf looks fine to me. Again, just a personal opinion. For some, the fat suit mod brings it closer to the Luke they want. :)

Fat-suit Mod sounds like a great band name.

Might just throw my two cents in. Feel free to ignore, pinch of salt and all that....I avoided the fat suit mod myself. I did find that shuffling his belt down seemed to distribute the proportions a bit better and lessen the "chunk" factor. To my eyes, what I see on the shelf looks fine to me. Again, just a personal opinion. For some, the fat suit mod brings it closer to the Luke they want. :)

Fat-suit Mod sounds like a great band name.
Thanks for your opinion. I actually may try moving the belt down a little to see how that looks. I really couldn't decide which pose to put mine in so for now, he is in his Jedi robe as he appeared when he first confronted Jabba. Unfortunately futzing with that hood took a long while to get it to my liking. Lol

That's what I did with mine. I put the belt on a little bit lower and fastened it as tight as I could. That also helped keeping the tunic pulled down as much as possible too.

:dunno

Picked it up to check out if it was better. The Hot Toys one comes across as a little short sometimes, but this comes across as a little long. I think I prefer the Sideshow fabric. It has a snap on the bag to keep it closed, which isn't great -- the velcro attachment on the HT is better.

Ugh - yeah I bought a SSC tunic on the TA second run just to check it out vs the HT one. Nice to know the difference is firmly... inconclusive.:lol:gah:

At least I'm pretty sure the SSC pistol is better. Well... it better be, because I've now bought FOUR of them.:rotfl

hey i would like to get one or two of these guns but some one keeps buying them up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now i know who it is. i`m looking at you Talibane.

Thanks for your opinion. I actually may try moving the belt down a little to see how that looks. I really couldn't decide which pose to put mine in so for now, he is in his Jedi robe as he appeared when he first confronted Jabba. Unfortunately futzing with that hood took a long while to get it to my liking. Lol

I tried having the belt as low and tight as possible, and it didn’t work for me.

The thing is, the fat suit really bothered me, bothered me enough to risk damage to the Luke. If it doesn’t bother you that much, I would just leave it as it is.

hey i would like to get one or two of these guns but some one keeps buying them up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now i know who it is. i`m looking at you Talibane.

:lol

I only tried to get the SS Luke open grip gloved hand for the lightsaber, like I'm sure most have. Was gone super quick. Had it in my cart, but couldn't complete my check out before it was gone.. :(

I know someone posted on here the SS hands fit fine on the HT without any mods, but are the hands the same size, or are the SS hands a bit larger and oversized compared to the HT? The HT Luke has pretty small hands compared to some others. I did buy from TA a right grip hand from the HT Royal Guard. I figured I'd maybe try painting it black. It looks great as a gloved hand for Luke, but is a bit oversized and larger than the hands included with the HT Luke when compared to his gloved fist and the hand on the light up lightsaber arm. I guess since the HT Royal Guard is on a larger body, the hands are larger. Was worth a shot for $2.

Back