Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
46058920295_db8d5469bc_k.jpg

Lovely fig.:clap It's very moment-specific obviously but that's probably one of the most iconic ROTJ Luke moments in my mind (though yeah, it was just a promo shot.)

Can I ask how much the head was all up with sculpt and paint?
It is very scene specific, but it's exactly what I wanted for Jedi Luke. This and of course Jabbas palace with Cloak.

The unpainted head cost $100 from Inigo
And getting it painted will vary depending on artist.

Nathan's price is $250.

So yes, it's a chunk of change. But I figure it was this OR the HT Deluxe which I'd be paying for a bunch of stuff I didn't want (deleted scene gear/endor gear) Sure I could have sold off all that stuff or even pick that hair piece up parted out but I'd still be stuck with a subpar Windswept look that doesn't even look right.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nathan's price is $250.

So yes, it's a chunk of change.

Honestly that’s not terrible. Getting a professionally done headsculpt that’s painted so well for $350 is pretty good in the context of the custom game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is very scene specific, but it's exactly what I wanted for Jedi Luke. This and of course Jabbas palace with Cloak.

Nathan's price is $250.

So yes, it's a chunk of change. But I figure it was this OR the HT Deluxe which I'd be paying for a bunch of stuff I didn't want (deleted scene gear/endor gear) Sure I could have sold off all that stuff or even pick that hair piece up parted out but I'd still be stuck with a subpar Windswept look that doesn't even look right.

Yeah, I kind of figured with all shipping as well it'd be in the $350-400 range, but it's a "one of a kind" piece given it's painted by silentsurfer. And ss is certainly in the top five of 1/6 painters ever.

It's a great looking head.

A few pages back there was some discussion about staining in the neck, and I can confirm that yes, there is some slight staining after a few months on both sides of the neck. It’s barely noticeable in the photo but it’s there, and I tried cleaning it with water and alcohol with no success.

IMG_2099.jpeg

Had the same issue. Some water and light finger scrubbing did 90% of the job for me.

A few pages back there was some discussion about staining in the neck, and I can confirm that yes, there is some slight staining after a few months on both sides of the neck. It’s barely noticeable in the photo but it’s there, and I tried cleaning it with water and alcohol with no success.

It can happen.
I have also seen staining on the sides of his temples from the hair piece. But as the hair piece covers the stains... I don't think it's a problem.

I’ll never understand why Hot Toys doesn’t give the materials they make their figures with an extra rinse and treat it with something to lock the colours in better. Either that or make them easier to remove so people can do it themselves. Luke is a staining nightmare. He is wearing a black skin tight body suit with a popped collar and wears a brown cloak with a hood. His head or hands were always going to be high risk for staining. Some R&D should have gone into stain prevention.

What do you mean?

It all started when the regular Luke was released and the instruction booklet mentioned some “future accessories”, some people theorized that it could be a separate accessory pack and when the deluxe version was announced as a separate and complete figure they were upset, especially because the deluxe has a windswept hair and sculpture and non-LED, gloved open right hands. Others defended Hot Toys arguing that with so many different accessories and possibilities, buying two was worth it.

So, to answer your question, yes, we are very, very aware of the deluxe version.

I’ll never understand why Hot Toys doesn’t give the materials they make their figures with an extra rinse and treat it with something to lock the colours in better. Either that or make them easier to remove so people can do it themselves. Luke is a staining nightmare. He is wearing a black skin tight body suit with a popped collar and wears a brown cloak with a hood. His head or hands were always going to be high risk for staining. Some R&D should have gone into stain prevention.

I’ve had Obi-Wan with his cloak over his head for years and no staining, but with Luke I didn’t want to risk it, and he’ll be with the DSII look from now on, anyway.

There have been some people who had staining on the hands from Obi Wan’s cloak. Just doesn’t seem like it should be a thing that happens as often as it does in 2019. Mattel somehow manages to make it work for Barbie and those are primarily designed to be played with (longevity is not really in mind) for significantly less cost. I get that the outfits are not as complex as Hot Toys but I am sure many of the same processes are used.

Yeah, my wife has an extensive Monster High collection and as far as I know the clothes don’t stain the dolls.

I checked and Obi-Wan is still stain-free, and the only thing I’ve done to his robe is a little stitch to bring down that weird pointy cloak.

Back