1/6 Hot Toys - MMS420 - GOTG Vol.2 - Star-Lord Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you bought this off Ebay I'd say don't bother with a replacement, its too risky. ( as you know with your Daredevil) I would just buy an extra body and Jet pack on ebay.

If you got this from Sideshow I doubt they will agree to replace the body. They wont consider that a defect. The Jetpack however might have a better chance.

I had an odd defect with my figure, on one of the Element guns, the bottom barrel does not have a hole, its just solid. Seems they forgot to drill it :slap

In terms of Daredevil, the only reason my replacement got lost was because the sender shipped it to the wrong address and then continued to say he didn't even though I obtained internal USPS tracking info that shows the address was incorrect.

But I really do believe we should be getting flawless figures right out of the box, especially when you consider the price point we are paying.

After some deliberation I've messaged the seller to see what can be done. If he's an authorized Sideshow seller then I should theoretically be covered. So fingers crossed and we'll see what happens...

In terms of Daredevil, the only reason my replacement got lost was because the sender shipped it to the wrong address and then continued to say he didn't even though I obtained internal USPS tracking info that shows the address was incorrect.

But I really do believe we should be getting flawless figures right out of the box, especially when you consider the price point we are paying.

After some deliberation I've messaged the seller to see what can be done. If he's an authorized Sideshow seller then I should theoretically be covered. So fingers crossed and we'll see what happens...

Hope it works out. And I agree- at this price point you should get it flawless.

Really at any price point it should be flawless.

I don't know whether I understand this correctly, but if you are in this situation, use the "Ebay Money Back Guarantee" ASAP! - It's only valid for 30 days after the "estimated" delivery date

Happened to me once, seller was a good person too, we talked it out, waited the delivery, the 30 days was gone, actually, something like 90 days passed, and I got the money from Paypal via a dispute

So best thing to do, just activate ebay money back guarantee, 0 hassle

I don't know whether I understand this correctly, but if you are in this situation, use the "Ebay Money Back Guarantee" ASAP! - It's only valid for 30 days after the "estimated" delivery date

Happened to me once, seller was a good person too, we talked it out, waited the delivery, the 30 days was gone, actually, something like 90 days passed, and I got the money from Paypal via a dispute

So best thing to do, just activate ebay money back guarantee, 0 hassle

Yeah, thanks for the info, but I guess I didn’t give the complete story.

The seller wasn’t super helpful at all and kept denying sending it to the wrong address even though I had definitive proof that it was his mistake.

I also realized my 30 day protection was coming to an end so I resorted to involving eBay about my missing Daredevil. In the end, the seller resorted to issuing a refund, but only when I told him I would leave him a negative review.

Hope it works out. And I agree- at this price point you should get it flawless.

Really at any price point it should be flawless.

Is there anything at any price point that is flawless? Cars, Phones, TV's, Buildings, Submarines, Jets, Spacecraft, etc, etc all have issues. So i doubt these mass produced figures will ever be flawless but i am impressed at how well the do make them even with the occasional problems.

Not picking on you just thinking out loud.

Is there anything at any price point that is flawless? Cars, Phones, TV's, Buildings, Submarines, Jets, Spacecraft, etc, etc all have issues. So i doubt these mass produced figures will ever be flawless but i am impressed at how well the do make them even with the occasional problems.

Not picking on you just thinking out loud.

Uh, yeah...as a consumer I actually do believe that whatever product we are purchasing with our hard-earned money that the item should meet a certain standard.

So in the case of high-end, premium action figures that cost more than 10x the amount of a consumer-quality, made-for-children action figures, yes it should be top notch and flawless.

For example, if you were to buy an iPhone X and were okay if one of the volume buttons didn't work then you are outta your mind.

So at the price point we are paying for these figures, I really don't think it's too much to ask that they not be defective, flawed (no matter how minor) out of the box on day one.

That's my 2 cents at least...feel free to disagree. :lecture

Uh, yeah...as a consumer I actually do believe that whatever product we are purchasing with our hard-earned money that the item should meet a certain standard.

So in the case of high-end, premium action figures that cost more than 10x the amount of a consumer-quality, made-for-children action figures, yes it should be top notch and flawless.

For example, if you were to buy an iPhone X and were okay if one of the volume buttons didn't work then you are outta your mind.

So at the price point we are paying for these figures, I really don't think it's too much to ask that they not be defective, flawed (no matter how minor) out of the box on day one.

I agree with everything but the word flawless. all i'm saying anything made will have flaws even if the best minds in the world spend a dozen years designing and building it. Something mass produced is very hard to make flawless, I did not say anyone has to accept it.

See- the right idea.

People here jumped on me because I said it wouldn't be proper for Sideshow to advise me on how to disassemble a $275 action figure to fix a broken piece that was packed broken.

But if they got a smartphone and something didn't work- imagine how they'd feel when Apple/Samsung/etc comes back and says "hey, we need numerous photos... ok we want more photos and video... ok here is how you need to take apart your expensive item potentially ruining it (and we're not liable for that) to fix it."

Apply that logic to these figures and it is the same.

Now add in the fact Sideshow has told me they haven't gotten their entire allotment of these figures and it'll be a good while before I get my exchange. Thats fine, but kinda suspicious of the repeated requests for more photos/videos and the few days it took between replies.

No way! I literally just hopped on here to post my initial reaction/issues/photos regarding this figure. It's crazy to see that you are having the red paint issue on his neck as well.

So basically I first wanted to say that this figure is damn impressive when you first unbox it, however like all figures I receive I always scrutinize them to ensure there are no defects or flaws. Unfortunately for me (and others as well) HT QC is still spotty, which is totally unacceptable given the high price tag we are paying for these figures.

Issue #1.) Like breakingdead when I flipped Star-Lord's collar over I couldn't help but notice that there is paint from the jacket rubbing off already. Day one and it's already staining!!! Unbelievable! That makes me weary for how this figure will hold up long-term if it's already "damaged" right out of the box on day one. :gah:

My question to all of you is if I should just accept it as is or jump through the hoops and try to get a replacement? Is it even worth it. Take a look at the photos and let me know your thoughts please. By the way, I'm not sure if my photos really convey the extent of the staining. It kinda comes off weak on the images, but it's way more evident in-person.

Normally my initial reaction would be to try and get a replacement, however after a bad, recent experience where my Daredevil replacement got lost in the mail and I am now Daredevil-less, I'm not sure if this is entirely worth the hassle. So any feedback you guys have would be super helpful in me making a decision on pulling the trigger for a replacement or not.

Issue #2.) The jet pack has a random black dot on it. I quickly looked at some other people's photos and didn't see it on theirs. Is this normal and part of the scuff paint application? Because the silver on the jet pack seems pretty clean throughout...

Once again, is this worth complaining and trying to get a replacement piece on? Is it worth the hassle?

Issue #3.) The swivel on his left leg is pretty loose. It's nothing major and definitely tolerable, but I noticed that the right leg swivel was not loose in comparison.

Issue #4/minor complaint.) This is my first figure which has different outfits as accessories (I got the deluxe version), so I was expecting the instructions manual to explain how to properly remove the short coat and put on the long coat, etc. Also, there's not mention of the articulation range that I'm used to seeing on other figures. There are no warnings not to extend beyond a certain degree or anything.

Overall, a super impressive figure, but with these flaws, paint staining right out of the box I gotta say I am a bit let down. Please take a look at the pics and let me know if I should try getting a replacement or not.

Also, sorry for the really long post.

Thanks!

View attachment 386091
View attachment 386092
View attachment 386093

Yeah dude, thats exactly how my neck looks. I wont be sending him back for a replacment because im using the long jacket look, and the scarf covers the paint rub completely. Plus its such a hassle to go through the whole process, I just dont feel like waiting. My jet pack broke on one side, but i glued it back in place. The long jacket, does everybody have the black dots on it? Is it supposed to be this way?

Of course, the product should be perfect, and it's not unreasonable to expect it to be. Of course, in any mass-produced situation, there are going to be QC defects. The paintrubs, leg problems (from multiple people), and that jet pack paint screw up are not acceptable, and should be taken care of by the sellers. I hope everyone ends up happy with their Star-Lord figures in the end. I'm getting him on Thursday from Sideshow, and I'm excited, but I'll definitely be on the lookout for these problems, so I thank everyone who's mentioned them to help all of us out.

My only point was that Sideshow has had a policy of replacing individual parts, and not the entire figure, since long before I got into this hobby (around 10 years ago), so I fully expect that if I buy something from them, and there's a problem, they will make it right. And they will do so by replacing the piece that's broken so I have a perfect (to my satisfaction) figure.

Knowing that this is their policy, and then being upset when they follow this policy, is...well, whining, to be blunt. And of course, the cost of people like this will be passed on to all of us.

Presumably, Sideshow has a set amount of figures they set aside (or Hot Toys provides, who knows) for replacement parts as needed (On a side note, I wonder if this is where those "warehouse finds" come from - figures set aside for QC replacements that don't end up being used, and are still MIB after some time period).
You have a problem, they send you the piece. They eat the cost of shipping for the piece.

You want a full replacement (and I'm assuming you won't be willing to pay for return shipping either), they have to eat the cost of shipping the entire box back to them, and the cost of shipping an entire new box to you. Probably $20ish each way. Now of course, your original one will replace one of those used for QC replacements, so they're not out the cost of a full figure.

Total cost of a full replacement? Somewhere around $30-40.
Total cost of a piece sent to you? Depends on the weight and size of the piece, but maybe $10. That might actually be a bit high.
Cost that's going to get passed on to all of us in future figures to cover your whining? The difference between the two.

Your figure should be perfect. Companies should be able to follow their established policies to make that figure perfect and their customers happy.

Of course, the product should be perfect, and it's not unreasonable to expect it to be. Of course, in any mass-produced situation, there are going to be QC defects. The paintrubs, leg problems (from multiple people), and that jet pack paint screw up are not acceptable, and should be taken care of by the sellers. I hope everyone ends up happy with their Star-Lord figures in the end. I'm getting him on Thursday from Sideshow, and I'm excited, but I'll definitely be on the lookout for these problems, so I thank everyone who's mentioned them to help all of us out.

My only point was that Sideshow has had a policy of replacing individual parts, and not the entire figure, since long before I got into this hobby (around 10 years ago), so I fully expect that if I buy something from them, and there's a problem, they will make it right. And they will do so by replacing the piece that's broken so I have a perfect (to my satisfaction) figure.

Knowing that this is their policy, and then being upset when they follow this policy, is...well, whining, to be blunt. And of course, the cost of people like this will be passed on to all of us.

Presumably, Sideshow has a set amount of figures they set aside (or Hot Toys provides, who knows) for replacement parts as needed (On a side note, I wonder if this is where those "warehouse finds" come from - figures set aside for QC replacements that don't end up being used, and are still MIB after some time period).
You have a problem, they send you the piece. They eat the cost of shipping for the piece.

You want a full replacement (and I'm assuming you won't be willing to pay for return shipping either), they have to eat the cost of shipping the entire box back to them, and the cost of shipping an entire new box to you. Probably $20ish each way. Now of course, your original one will replace one of those used for QC replacements, so they're not out the cost of a full figure.

Total cost of a full replacement? Somewhere around $30-40.
Total cost of a piece sent to you? Depends on the weight and size of the piece, but maybe $10. That might actually be a bit high.
Cost that's going to get passed on to all of us in future figures to cover your whining? The difference between the two.

Your figure should be perfect. Companies should be able to follow their established policies to make that figure perfect and their customers happy.

The customer service rep told me how to take the figure apart and to replace the part "if it isn't totally broken."

Then told me that any further damage will not be honored. So following the instructions and if they say "well the joint is loose" and I remove the pants and it is snapped/broken then they can just claim I did that trying to fix it the way they advised.

So no, that is not reasonable. I followed their instructions and sent photos. Asking for ADDITIONAL photos and a video is absurd. Then after I say I'm just going to file a dispute they agree the photos sufficed and then informed me it'll be a number of weeks to process the return seemed like a stall tactic.

I've included the photos I sent. You absolutely cannot feel the joint that will slide into place but more a rough/jagged edge where it should be.

So you say whining but yet I followed their policy by the letter. So you're just arguing for the sake of arguing even when presented with irrefutable evidence that is contrary to your premise.

sl.jpg
sl1.jpg

Now wait, this changes things.

So they said *if* the piece is broken, they'll replace it, but if you damage anything trying to get the piece out in order to do what they ask, it's on you?

So if they decide the piece isn't broken, and then you broke a buckle getting the pants off to do what they asked, then you're just out of luck completely?

Yeah, I'd agree that's unacceptable, and I would ask for a full replacement then. I did not know this part of the story.

To be fair, I always agreed that the "more pictures and a video" part was rediculous. And also, you didn't say this part before (or maybe I missed it).

I was under the impression they said they would replace the part and you said no, that you want a full replacement. That's what I was commenting on.

It is ridiculous. With these issues removing clothing/accessories/etc that weren't really designed to be removed is dangerous- asking the customer that doesn't have the "skill" (that being relative of course) to do so is not reasonable.

I sent those two photos and four days later they replied asking for more. Then tried to tell me I filed for the incorrect order (my Punisher) yet I used the return/exchange button for the Star Lord order. Then a few days later said they didn't get the initial photos that they already confirmed came through.

Then advised how replacement parts work yet informed me I'm liable for further issues. So say they used the phrase "disconnected joint" in the email and I remove the pants and find that it is, in fact, the snapped piece they can just say it is on me and they're not liable.

In the past 27 months I've spent just over $10,322 with them and have $3,900 worth of open orders with Sideshow- not counting Infinity War releases which I plan to get a number of those releases as well.

The point being making it this difficult and arbitrary for someone to replace a figure that was clearly packed broken that spends near $15,000 inside three years or $50 in three years is absurd.

That actually seems to be a bit of a case-by-case thing. I've had items where they sent out individual components to replace damages, but recently I've had a couple where they sent out whole new figures.

My Iron Man Mk VII sub-zero was built too tight so the arm snapped off when I tried to rotate it; they asked for proof of complete destruction and sent out a whole new figure (understandable, since the ball was stuck in the shoulder socket and a replacement would have been too tight), but the baffling one was that one of the pegs holding the cloak to on my Roadworn Thor was broken... rather than sending just the cloak, they sent a whole new figure...

My Star Lord arrived today... I hope it doesn't have any of these issues (not opening it yet as I'm busy reorganising my display shelves :)).

That actually seems to be a bit of a case-by-case thing. I've had items where they sent out individual components to replace damages, but recently I've had a couple where they sent out whole new figures.

My Iron Man Mk VII sub-zero was built too tight so the arm snapped off when I tried to rotate it; they asked for proof of complete destruction and sent out a whole new figure (understandable, since the ball was stuck in the shoulder socket and a replacement would have been too tight), but the baffling one was that one of the pegs holding the cloak to on my Roadworn Thor was broken... rather than sending just the cloak, they sent a whole new figure...

My Star Lord arrived today... I hope it doesn't have any of these issues (not opening it yet as I'm busy reorganising my display shelves :)).

To be clear I really haven't seen reports of other broken joints- mine was clearly packed broken. Right when I removed the figure from the tray it was like that, the only part I had touched was the torso.

To be clear I really haven't seen reports of other broken joints- mine was clearly packed broken. Right when I removed the figure from the tray it was like that, the only part I had touched was the torso.

That's a relief :) I've had stuff like that before, though - a Transformer with one of its heads broken off (an issue with a few examples of that particular figure, I believe), and my Prisoner Harley Quinn had one of the hair knots broken off (easily fixed with super glue, though)... probably others I've long since forgotten. Things do get squeezed into the packaging oddly once in a while :(

It is ridiculous. With these issues removing clothing/accessories/etc that weren't really designed to be removed is dangerous- asking the customer that doesn't have the "skill" (that being relative of course) to do so is not reasonable.

I sent those two photos and four days later they replied asking for more. Then tried to tell me I filed for the incorrect order (my Punisher) yet I used the return/exchange button for the Star Lord order. Then a few days later said they didn't get the initial photos that they already confirmed came through.

Then advised how replacement parts work yet informed me I'm liable for further issues. So say they used the phrase "disconnected joint" in the email and I remove the pants and find that it is, in fact, the snapped piece they can just say it is on me and they're not liable.

In the past 27 months I've spent just over $10,322 with them and have $3,900 worth of open orders with Sideshow- not counting Infinity War releases which I plan to get a number of those releases as well.

The point being making it this difficult and arbitrary for someone to replace a figure that was clearly packed broken that spends near $15,000 inside three years or $50 in three years is absurd.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with you. Your situation sounds kinda messed up from a customer service standpoint, especially when you take into account how much money you've spent with Sideshow.

I had a similar issue with my Captain America: CW a year ago where the left leg joint was super, super loose to the point that he was unable to stand up without support from the cradle. I informed my seller about it, who was really helpful, and contacted Sideshow about the issue. I proactively sent a video to showcase the issue since a picture wouldn't illustrate the issue at all.

Sideshow's solution was to offer me a body replacement...I would need to remove the clothing on my current figure and put it on the new body. I am by no means a handy guy when it comes to remove clothes or customizing figures. I only buy them to enjoy them out of the box. I thought it was an inadequate solution and opted for a refund instead.

So HDGuy84, I totally get where you're coming from. :hi5:

Got mine today. I didn't even have a shipping notice and the Sideshow site still said 'payment processing', so that was a bit of a surprise.

It's my first Marvel figure. I have the life-size Baby Groot coming too. I look at this thread and realise I may be a philistine - I liked GOTG 2 as much, if not more than, the first one. Don't hate me! Mine seems to be a rare opinion ... I was surprised when friends started saying they didn't think it was nearly as good.

'If he ends up being evil, we'll just kill him.' That line alone ... The sensitive nipples ... the Baby Groot ... maybe it was because I saw it with my girlfriend - we've been together ten years and she hardly EVER likes movies much but she loved this (largely because of the Baby Groot), so that probably gave a boost to my own movie-going enjoyment.

I kinda regret that I didn't try out the rocket pack before I put the long coat on, because I am not changing coats again for a looooong time. The figure is great! The likeness is very good in person. The coat it's wearing in the box can leave a couple of spots of red on the neck (I included a picture to show this), but it's no biggie.

I pre-ordered this shortly after I saw the movie, and I think, if I remember correctly, I was tipsy. I paid full price. Who among us ever does that nowadays? You always wait for a code or use rewards points ... anyway, I was worried I was going to regret it. The figure is very nice, though. I'm pleased to have a mini Chris Pratt and an even mini-er Baby Groot in the house. It's one of those figures that reminds you why Hot Toys have such a strong reputation: when they do good, they do really good.

046.jpg

049a.jpg

011.jpg

017.jpg

021.jpg

041.jpg

059.jpg

Cool pictures Jimminy! I don’t want to change out the jackets too often as well, even though it’s hard to pick my favorite look. Same with the shirt. I finally switched it to the red one the other day. I’ve been hesitant to do it though as I thought it might be hard to get on. Just need to go carefully and it should be okay. Between the two I prefer the grey shirt, but this one is nice as well.

Cool pictures Jimminy! I don’t want to change out the jackets too often as well, even though it’s hard to pick my favorite look. Same with the shirt. I finally switched it to the red one the other day. I’ve been hesitant to do it though as I thought it might be hard to get on. Just need to go carefully and it should be okay. Between the two I prefer the grey shirt, but this one is nice as well.

Yeah it comes with quite a few great options! If I was rich enough to get two, I'd display one with the long coat, grey shirt, regular head, the other with the short coat, red shirt, rocket pack, helmet head, or whatever. I've only had it out of the box a few hours and I already want to take it apart and fiddle again. Sign of a figure with fun accessories!

At least the shirts seem hardy, and they can stretch without going of shape. There's no 'pilling' when you touch them, etc. (I'm looking at you, '66 Batman). That will make me a bit less terrified of changing looks.

The figure has a lot of character, and looking at it immediately calls up all the fun feelings of the movie.

Back