1/6 Hot Toys - MMS420 - GOTG Vol.2 - Star-Lord Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS420 - GOTG Vol.2 - Star-Lord Figure

Can always tell the people who have the first version of a character around here :rotfl

Yep, this one is just a dead stare. It's like Star Lord's personality is just gone and it's just some generic white dude.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Congrats mate! And I agree the vol 2 sculpt is miles better
204ab93902777d1e16915784afbac392.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing these two pics together there is no doubt that there is much more likeness with the 2 version. However like another member pointed out it is a prototype so in hand finish may differ. But, if you want a more "Star Lord look" than Pratt likeness the first version has more character to it.

I think it comes down to what you want from your figures. I buy these for the extreme realism and the first version just didn't make me do a double-take like some of the sculpts HT has put out. V2 definitely has that "Woah it's Chris Pratt" vibe for me.

I have v1 but I had to order v2 it was just to good.The hs looks like chris pratt and option to have a short or long coat is awsome.Baby groot and the walkman are fantastic addition aswell.i guess I'm jumping into this v2 galaxy collection.

I think it comes down to what you want from your figures. I buy these for the extreme realism and the first version just didn't make me do a double-take like some of the sculpts HT has put out. V2 definitely has that "Woah it's Chris Pratt" vibe for me.

Completely agreed.

I have all the Guardians (Drax preordered) from the first movie. I admire everyone who can preorder a figure before seeing the movie. I need to have an emotional connection with the movie before purchasing the Hot Toys figure. Once I preorder, I'm set. I learned my lesson to watch the movie before preordering just in case the movie turns out less than stellar (thanks Batman V Superman).

So yeah, absolutely love the sculpt. Looks identical to Pratt. If I love the movie, this is an easy preorder.

I'm not worried about the movie. I loved the 1st and this will be displayed with the V1 team anyway. It's a great scuplt but i will always have the changing helmet displayed on this and full helmet on V1. If i did display the full HS it would be V1 just because of the smirk seems more starlord like IMO.

I was actually considering going the other direction and have the transforming helmet and sculpt on the v1. With him pulling his walkman out. Kinda the opening credits set up.

Same. Part of what turned my collection from a couple of Arnie figures to an MCU display area was the realism. The only obscured face I have on any of my figures is the diecast Mark III, which I treat as an empty display suit. Funnily enough the Commando Arnie turned out to be one of the most disappointing sculpts in hand compared to the prototype that I spent 12 months looking at pics of. Prior to ordering that figure I only had 1 single Terminator, and no MCU figures.

the question is not if it is better or not than the first one, the question is why in hell would anyone portrait the STAR LORD with an empty serious expression... even if it was 100000000% accurate to the actor it is just not even close to the Star Lord character...

Guess they should do a smiling terminator 1 now, it will be fine as long as the sculpt is accurate to the actor....

Eyes be rolling...

Did somebody say smiling terminator?
8f40301089e7688b3b5f03a8925d935d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guess the license price is measure by the amount of expression of the sculpt, that's why so many figures with the "blank stare at the infinite" syndrome ... hauheuahea

the question is not if it is better or not than the first one, the question is why in hell would anyone portrait the STAR LORD with an empty serious expression... even if it was 100000000% accurate to the actor it is just not even close to the Star Lord character...

Guess they should do a smiling terminator 1 now, it will be fine as long as the sculpt is accurate to the actor....

81526104.gif

They were obviously going for this:

starlord-poster-1490376309493_1280w.jpg

Now whether they were successful with the sculpt is up for debate, but the expression is accurate. You may not like the expression, but to me this looks way more like Pratt. I'd rather have a more accurate likeness than him smiling, personally.

This is certainly one of those why not both situations...

Of course likeness is important. No one here has claimed it isn't, but there's something to be said for a sculpt that delivers an expression that just exudes the essence of the character. Some people aren't sure it's spot on, but damn if that stormie disguise han doesn't just nail the han solo character.

Ya know everyone had this argument in the drax thread too. I don't think any one is too particular about it anymore. We just want the damn thing released lol

Well, Star-Lord isn't always smiling so ...

3WjKf8u1xzpx.jpg

I think this here is a tad bit like Ant-Man. The first sculpt had the smirk while the CW sculpt had a serious look. Now, I would never replace that first Ant-Man with the CW one coz the smirk is what makes this figure so Paul Rudd, it's perfect! The sculpt is perfect. The second is meh ... doesn't really look like Paul Rudd to me so I really couldn't care less about it. I'd love a smirking Star-Lord sculpt coz it's so him. Unfortunately, I just don't think the first sculpt is good. I love the smirk but the sculpt itself is ... not really good. The vol. 2 sculpt on the other hand, may not come with the smirk but it looks so much like Pratt that I don't mind it not having the smirk. I look at that sculpt and I immediately see Pratt while the first sculpt has me "well, it's supposed to be Pratt but something's terribly off. quick, get the helmet!" That's exactly the reason why I didn't buy the first Star-Lord. I wanted to get him, really, but that head just wasn't to my liking and I'm glad I waited coz the vol. 2 sculpt here is perfect. :D

I sure can see that the sculpt is better, that's why I said from the beginning that it's not about wich one is better but whyyyyyy they choose to make a soulless expression on it! Now u have those promotional pictures with the aiming guns and that silly face that just doesn't match at all the attitude or the character. As for that movie still to show that he is not smiling all the time... well it would serve as argument if you want to portrait him in a moment of sadness and broken heart. I'll give u that :) .
As for the one at the poster, it HAVE an expression on his face! I could live with that one

Anyway I'm surprised that no one cares that he is as soulless as it can be, but I certainly had to get the frustration out of my chest!! I'm much better now that I bashed it a little ;)

Back