1/6 Hot Toys - MMS382 - Suicide Squad - The Joker (Purple Coat) Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS - Suicide Squad - The Joker (Purple Coat) Collectible Figure

This is a character that poisoned fish and tried to copyright them because they had a passing resemblance to his visage. :lol

Colonel what's-his-name has chickens, and they don't even have moustaches.

Nicholson and Ledger were attention whores too. The very nature of the Joker screams "look at me", the anti-thesis of Batman's brooding and self loathing.

This is a character that poisoned fish and tried to copyright them because they had a passing resemblance to his visage. :lol

You can't argue remedial bumper stickers all over his body and face no matter how hard you try.

Yea I trust him as an actor for sure. I was actually pleased when they announced him in the role because I thought physically he was a good fit and as an actor I figured his range would be great and he'd have no issue putting his own spin on the character. I wasn't sold on Ledger when he was cast and he was brilliant. But I think in this case his appearance in SS and maybe how they've pushed him to play the part are what the problem could be. The tats were one thing (and still are) but these outfits are ridiculous. I guess the point I'm getting at is Leto could be wasted in this role because of the creative choices made by David Ayer and his team. It's early obviously and the trailers give little away so I guess we will find out in a matter of weeks. I hope he kills it though.
I think his best outfit is the silver coat with the purple dress shirt. It's still not my favorite but it looks better than a lot of what he's been shown in such as the pants and purple jacket without a shirt or the weird Batman shorts/leggings. I also don't know why he seems to be shirtless so often.

Nicholson and Ledger were attention whores too. The very nature of the Joker screams "look at me", the anti-thesis of Batman's brooding and self loathing.

True but this is even more in your face to the point where it just looks ridiculous. I think it's overkill for the purpose of trying to top Ledger personally.

The only thing worse than how The Joker looks in SS is the people trying to justify it.

The only thing worse than how The Joker looks in SS is the people trying to justify it.

Snape-Funnies-harry-potter-26436923-500-280.gif

That gif is hypnotizing.

Whilst I still don't like the forehead tattoo, I have absolutely no problem with the others. Batman and the Joker are so popular and enduring because they have changed to reflect the times over they years. From the campy 60's to Affleck and Leto.
Personally I don't think there is anything to justify - forehead tattoo apart, Leto's Joker bears more resemblance to Mr. J than Ledger, and probably Nicholson too... he is the most 'comic-book' of them all.
Also, I won't fully make my mind up till I see the performance - Ledger should have taught us that. His appearance was damn-near universally hated when first shown, but his performance in TDK won everyone over... so let's judge Leto after seeing the movie.

Whilst I still don't like the forehead tattoo, I have absolutely no problem with the others. Batman and the Joker are so popular and enduring because they have changed to reflect the times over they years. From the campy 60's to Affleck and Leto.
Personally I don't think there is anything to justify - forehead tattoo apart, Leto's Joker bears more resemblance to Mr. J than Ledger, and probably Nicholson too... he is the most 'comic-book' of them all.
Also, I won't fully make my mind up till I see the performance - Ledger should have taught us that. His appearance was damn-near universally hated when first shown, but his performance in TDK won everyone over... so let's judge Leto after seeing the movie.

:goodpost:

I always liked Ledger's look and costume because it was different but appropriate for Nolan's universe. The 20 year gap between Ledger and Nicholson helped too.

Unfortunately for Leto, the last joker on film is still very relevant and popular among fans and we have no idea if Letoker even fits in this new cinematic universe, since every film seems very different in style.

And a helicopter with his face on it in the 89 Batman film :lol

True... the Joker has had a personalised car on many occassionss, and in the '89 movie he had a car, a branded truck and a helicopter.
In the comics he's been a thief, bank robber, serial killer, psychopath, crime boss with henchmen etc. etc.
SS is taking the Joker back to his roots in a way, making him a flamboyant criminal gangster - in the 40's they wore zoot-suits and fedoras, times have changed, and inevitably so has the Joker... but the basics remain - white skin, green hair, red lips and a fondness for the colour purple.

I always liked Ledger's look and costume because it was different but appropriate for Nolan's universe. The 20 year gap between Ledger and Nicholson helped too.

Unfortunately for Leto, the last joker on film is still very relevant and popular among fans and we have no idea if Letoker even fits in this new cinematic universe, since every film seems very different in style.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Ledger's performanc - but like Bane, the Nolanverse 'idealistic' Joker is probably further away from the comic book character than Leto's appears to be.

...should just add (back on topic) that i'm not a big fan of this look for the Joker, but it might make more sense when seeing the movie. However, love the jacket and will hopefully pick one up loose to customise a Joker figure i'm working on.

I'm happy i got the AA version. Harley will be standing beside him. SS display complete.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Ledger's performanc - but like Bane, the Nolanverse 'idealistic' Joker is probably further away from the comic book character than Leto's appears to be.

Is it though? Some versions of the joker in the comics are known for their desire to prove something, like in the Killing Joke. That's one of the things that makes Ledger my favorite version so far.

...should just add (back on topic) that i'm not a big fan of this look for the Joker, but it might make more sense when seeing the movie. However, love the jacket and will hopefully pick one up loose to customise a Joker figure i'm working on.

I like the overall look...I just wish I knew which is his main outfit. With Romero, Nicholson, and Ledger, it was easier to tell which outfit was the main look because they either always wore the same costume or they wore the same outfit in all the promotional photos. That's not the case with Leto.

Is it though? Some versions of the joker in the comics are known for their desire to prove something, like in the Killing Joke. That's one of the things that makes Ledger my favorite version so far.

Nolan borrowed heavily from the Killing Joke it's true, but Nolan's Joker was more calculated - he had planned everything to the fine detail (getting himself caught, the mobile phone, the bombs etc.), it always struck me that Ledger's Joker wasn't as crazy as he made out, whereas the Killing Joke portrays him as more psychotic... also the 'scruffy' clothes were not really joker to me either. That said, this Joker outfit doesn't really do it for me either, but i'm hearing he's pretty damn scary... and I always envisage the Joker to be like Hannibal Lecter - you really wouldn't want to get close.

I like the overall look...I just wish I knew which is his main outfit. With Romero, Nicholson, and Ledger, it was easier to tell which outfit was the main look because they either always wore the same costume or they wore the same outfit in all the promotional photos. That's not the case with Leto.

Not sure the hang up on the Joker's outfit. Unlike Batman, Superman etc., the Joker's clothing was intended to be just that, from the outset - a flamboyant suit... black too, purple was used solely because solic black in print would look terrible (similarly how black hair like Superman's was shown with a blue highlight).
So to me it makes perfect sense for a vain, psychotic 'peacock' like the Joker to wear many outfits... let's face it, none of us wears the same outfit every day do we?
Hopefully along the way, we will get to see the 'classic' look though.

Back