1/6 Hot Toys - MMS353 D16 - CA: Civil War - Iron Man Mark XLVI Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS353 D16 - CA: Civil War - Mark XLVI Collectible Figure

Lol it doesn't bother me at all for you to share your opinion on the matter. All you did was essentially provide the statistical probability of it happening. Nothing wrong with that. Great if happens. If not, money saved.

Question that you may be able to answer: Is the number that is manufactured predicated on the amount of pre-orders? Or do they go into a figure with a set number already in mind?

It's a little of both. They have a minimum amount they have to make for each figure. They know that going in based on tooling and licensing and predictions of over head ect...but they also leave a window to adjust the amount made up. They set a window of 2-4 months (depending on schedule and complexity of design and predicted sales based on past performance of a character or license) to see if the PO numbers that are coming in from their distrubutors and at secret base (and the two other main stores) are above their expectations enough to increase the order size. But once that window is closed they don't go back in and make more, despite what folks think.

When Hot Toys decides to cap the number, do they then notify distributors like Sideshow to close their pre-orders? Or does does Sideshow also have their own number in mind?

Each distrubutor had an allocation min for every figure. It's contractual and based on some formula...but essentially it's a percentage of the entire production run based on average sales per license (or projections of its a new license) in the past and how many retailers they supply and a few other things. They can request additional stock after a certain point, and hot toys will see if a figure is selling slower elsewhere and work out a deal with those distrubutors to transfer stock. But that is very rare. One in a hundred releases about. Usually it's just the agreed amount. But they do tell retailers how sales are trending if they ask. But as I said, they don't usually need to. The vast majority of the time ssc has excess stock.

And given that sideshow does all the customer support for most NA retailers and lots of Europe also they carry a large amount of excess for each figure in reserve anyway. A couple hundred figures for every unique release. On average. So even if a figure sells out they still have at least a hundred in reserve. Usually more. 10-20% additional stock held for quality control stuff. To cover lost shipments and damaged shipments and missing parts and all that jazz.

It's essentially the same for every distrubutor. Though sideshow is the largest so their numbers are much higher then say Action City or toy Sapiens. Each distrubutor has its how unique deal in place but they are all structured essentially the same.

There are some regional differences as to how some things work though. Secret Base is essentially an in store only seller. Even though hey work as local distrubutor. There PO system is very different to the kind you see elsewhere. And when a figure "sells out" there it's not the same as when it does elsewhere.

Does that make sense? Sorry typing train of thought and sometimes it sounds better in my head.

The reasons I think a damaged suit would look good is that this movie really is about Cap vs Iron Man. You don't need to see the movie to know that, and I don't think there is any spoiling in saying Cap and Iron Man come to blows.. It's the first really meaty close range alpha male fisty-cuffs involving Iron Man since Iron Man vs Thor vs Cap in The Avengers..

Makes sense. Man, that's a lot of additional stock lol. Great info thanks Motux!

The reasons I think a damaged suit would look good is that this movie really is about Cap vs Iron Man. You don't need to see the movie to know that, and I don't think there is any spoiling in saying Cap and Iron Man come to blows.. It's the first really meaty close range alpha male fisty-cuffs involving Iron Man since Iron Man vs Thor vs Cap in The Avengers..

On that note...

Spoiler Spoiler:

Sorry to be the buzz kill guy all the time. I just think there's enough of the wishful thinkers that one dissenting voice should be out there on occasion. If any of the newer suits where to get a BD I could see it being the 46. So it's possible. But there's a bunch of reasons why they don't like to do that very often. Even with the BD mk7 nearly all the parts came with regular mk7 so if you bought it you where not feeling like you got left out.

Fair point. As much as I'd love to see a BD version, I know there'd be a wave of complaints if that were the only way to get BD armor pieces. The BD Mark 7 also used the Mark 42 helmeted face sculpt (which has gotten endless reuse ever since), so it was really just a mashup/repaint of existing parts. A BD Mark 46 would require making new parts for what would most likely be a one-off figure, and it'd need a wide release to cover those costs, which I honestly don't see happening. I can picture a limited, more expensive promo release, but not a wide release like the regular Mark 46.

On that note...

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:

Fair point. As much as I'd love to see a BD version, I know there'd be a wave of complaints if that were the only way to get BD armor pieces. The BD Mark 7 also used the Mark 42 helmeted face sculpt (which has gotten endless reuse ever since), so it was really just a mashup/repaint of existing parts. A BD Mark 46 would require making new parts for what would most likely be a one-off figure, and it'd need a wide release to cover those costs, which I honestly don't see happening. I can picture a limited, more expensive promo release, but not a wide release like the regular Mark 46.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I wouldn't mind a limited promo release, as long as it actually came out to be an awesome figure. Unlike the stealth Mk7, which I think was portrayed extremely favorably in the promo shots.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I wouldn't mind a limited promo release, as long as it actually came out to be an awesome figure. Unlike the stealth Mk7, which I think was portrayed extremely favorably in the promo shots.

Spoiler Spoiler:

The stealth Mark 7 was nice, but what I didn't expect was that I would need good lighting to make the figure display remotely well. Otherwise, it just looks like a giant black blob (which, I guess, fits the stealth moniker :lol). I agree that it was definitely photographed much more favorably than how it appeared in hand.

Spoiler Spoiler:

did you really just say type "fisty-cuffs"? lol that made me laugh.

i don't know if i'd want a full on battle damaged version of this suit.. but i wouldn't mind seeing the amount of wear and scuffs the prototype 1/6 45 had.. or the prototype 1/4 45.

I found it kinda funny how he's trying to stick the superhero landing but his arm can't reach the ground :lol

captain-america-civil-war-iron-man-xlvi-sixth-scale-marvel-902708-09.jpg

Yeah I noticed that. Bit soon to worry about it though, mind.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

It's posed that way to better show the head. If it can get in that pose it can touch the ground.

Anyone thinking about getting the power pose XLVI just as a display piece since all the LED's light up at once?

Anyone thinking about getting the power pose XLVI just as a display piece since all the LED's light up at once?

I'm strongly considering it. I'm getting the MMS version to go with the rest of my collection, but I'd also like to get the power pose version as a decoration for my desk at work. :lol

I found it kinda funny how he's trying to stick the superhero landing but his arm can't reach the ground :lol

captain-america-civil-war-iron-man-xlvi-sixth-scale-marvel-902708-09.jpg

I don't blame him. You know that's really hard on your knees :wink1:

Back