1/6 Hot Toys - MMS274 - TDKR - John Blake with Bat-Signal 1/6th scale Collectible Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys The Dark Knight Rises - Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake

Who said I was a big fan of Iron Man 3?

I liked it when I saw it in theaters, and recently when I watched it again on Blu-Ray. That's pretty much the extent of my "love" for it. I think the original Iron Man, Cap II: Winter Soldier and Guardians are much better.

Still, while I don't rate things, I'd say I enjoyed Iron Man 3 more than TDKR. Then again, that's probably because I'm a big fan of Batman and don't mind the crazy exploits and shenanigans of Tony Stark. I got a kick out of the Mandarin twist. It was better than that crap with "Miranda Taters" and John Robin Bloke because at least Marvel was unabashed about it.

Ah, I might have mistaken your love for it when you posted that watching it in December would be awesome along with movies like Diehard and Lethal Weapon. I figured you loved it after that statement :lol

Well, looks like we need to find a new defense against him fellas.

Me too! It's great!!!

BatmanTDKR1_052_The_Dark_Knight_Returns.jpg

Anyone who has the guts to publicly display affection on SSF for the TDKR is a real man and deserves some rep.

Thats true, but it’s our only defense once he goes on his TDKR tirade :lol

I thought Iron Man 1 was great, but 2 and 3 are pretty terrible films.

I still can’t get over Tony watching Pepper fall into flames, and decides to continue cracking jokes shortly after. Makes me cringe every time.

IM 2 is AWFUL...disjointed, anti-climatic, rushed, mostly commercial for build up of the Marvel film universe going sideways off the rails of the plot it tries to stick to...

Ok back to Blake- astounding HS and much wanted figure...

I should have said that the entire theme of "A Tale of Two Cities" had no place in a Batman film

I'd be curious to hear you elaborate, as that seems like such a broad, general statement, that I don't see how it can be true.

The incorporation of deeper and more literary themes is what helps elevate these mainstream films and stories into worthwhile art.

I'd be curious to hear you elaborate, as that seems like such a broad, general statement, that I don't see how it can be true.

The incorporation of deeper and more literary themes is what helps elevate these mainstream films and stories into worthwhile art.

Well said! Ths thread has renewed my faith in TDKR- I'm not the only fan of it....and lately it seems like I AM the only one not hating it

I think it could have had a place if it was implemented better, you know, by actually delving into a Dickensian class war (which Bruce Wayne could have aptly been apart of as opposed to disappearing from the movie) instead of focusing on a stupid comic booky bomb and an equally lame character twist.

A mishmash of different ideas and themes that you rip off for your story aren't going to go anywhere if you don't so anything with them. Quick montages with Hans Zimmer's obnoxious, blasting score isn't going to cover it. If Nolan and Co. wanted to make a Howard Hughes biopic or A Tale of Two Cities adaptation, then maybe they should have avoided Batman altogether as opposed to phoning it all in and making them all suffer.

I think it could have had a place if it was implemented better, you know, by actually delving into a Dickensian class war (which Bruce Wayne could have aptly been apart of as opposed to disappearing from the movie) instead of focusing on a stupid comic booky bomb and an equally lame character twist.

A mishmash of different ideas and themes that you rip off for your story aren't going to go anywhere if you don't so anything with them. Quick montages with Hans Zimmer's obnoxious, blasting score isn't going to cover it. If Nolan and Co. wanted to make a Howard Hughes biopic or A Tale of Two Cities adaptation, then maybe they should have avoided Batman altogether as opposed to phoning it all in and making them all suffer.

I feel the love, man..I feel it!
I forgot Nolan had written the Mr Hughes script as a project at one time...

I will agree that the treatment of themes was done too much on a "surface" level - it should have gone into more depth (and this is what prevents TDKR from being a "great" movie, rather than just a "good" movie).

A better implementation would've done more than just touch these ideas. I truly feel TDKR could have been a much better movie had it been split into two, giving enough run-time length to treat each of the themes and characters with the time and weight that they deserved.

But just because the implementation was flawed, it does not mean that the use of such themes could never have worked or should never be attempted in a Batman movie.

I agree with Difabio, they should have left out all of those themes and just made a different movie. I think the film would have been served better if they took more time on the characters, making them complex and interesting in the way that we know Nolan can do. It just wasted too much time on the tale of two cities nonsense that wasn't thoroughly executed. A perfect example is those deleted scenes about Bane's origin. Ask yourself why they were cut and what took up the time? The bomb plot? Watching the 99% fight back against the 1%? Explaining Bane's ridiculous plan in order to create these themes? None of these are more important than the antagonists origin story, at least imo and yet they were chosen.

Can I just ask what is wrong with a Batman story where Bane wants to defeat Batman to prove himself as Ra's al Ghuls greatest student by defeating Bruce Wayne and an aged and weak-willed Batman has to find a way to defeat a man who does not feel pain, fatigue, and knows his secret identity? Isn't there enough at play in just that idea? Why the tale of two cities stuff? Even if they wanted to bring Blake in they still could have and still left out the "anybody could be Batman" idea which I still don't think works (but that's a different argument).

I guess I feel like Nolan could've done more and its unfortunate that he didn't really want to make this film. He shouldn't have done it imo.

It's fair comment to say you feel it should have been different, but the worldwide gross was more from TDK to TDKR indicating it's only the fanatical nerds who had a problem, lol.
Yeah, i know. The gross was *only* 80 million more. Hardly important...

TDK:
Worldwide: $1,004,558,444

TDKR:

Worldwide: $1,084,439,099

Blake is the best Robin ever created :impatient:

It's fair comment to say you feel it should have been different, but the worldwide gross was more from TDK to TDKR indicating it's only the fanatical nerds who had a problem, lol.
Yeah, i know. The gross was *only* 80 million more. Hardly important...

TDK:
Worldwide: $1,004,558,444

TDKR:

Worldwide: $1,084,439,099

The Dark Knight > TDKR

Dark Knight Batman/Bruce > TDKR Cripple Bruce/crappy Batman w/ magic leg brace

The Joker > Bane

Harvey Dent > Robin Blake

Michael Bay movies make a whole lotta box office dough with huge grosses but I think a lot of people would agree that those movies have problems.

The Dark Knight > TDKR

Dark Knight Batman/Bruce > TDKR Cripple Bruce/crappy Batman w/ magic leg brace

The Joker > Bane

Harvey Dent > Robin Blake

Michael Bay movies make a whole lotta box office dough with huge grosses but I think a lot of people would agree that those movies have problems.

Of course. I only meant that more of the movie going public went to see TDKR. Nothing more. Not that more money equals a better movie(Even though i personally prefer TDKR over TDK, once again, it's just my own preference).
Not trying to argue, because it's all totally subjective. For every person that prefers TDK(And has reason they reckon it's better), there will likely be at least one person who prefers BB or TDKR for different reasons.
It's all just opinion at the end of the day.

Grayson, Nightwing.

Back