Hot Toys MMS243 - 1/6th scale Captain America & Steve Rogers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised. They've shown it from lots of angles now and I think it looks sweet all around.

CAPTAIN-AMERICA-AVENGERS-AGE-OF-ULTRON-03.jpg

It is a bit busy but seems to match his Marvel NOW look pretty nicely.

3549207-0c+avenworld2014001_dc41_lr.jpg
Well I think the Avengers version was much less hideous when we saw him actually wearing it on the screen than in screen shots. Maybe I'll like this one more on screen, as well. But the flared star thing, the busy, unnecessary lines all over, the weird circles on his shoulders. He looks like something that would have been designed in the 1990s, and/or, by Jim Lee today. I don't dig the "Marvel Now" look, either. Makes me think that Marvel truly is trying to ape some of DC's unfortunate Nu52 designs. What the hell is going on in Cannonball's outfit there?

Always nice to see Art Adams artwork, though.

Me too, but I don't think I want it on display anymore with the awesome Strike and Golden Age Caps coming. Whedon really dropped the ball with that costume and I no longer need a constant reminder of that on my shelf.

I feel the exact same way :slap I like to display Avengers Cao with Avengers Widow but they will look old next to the new versions :lol

My Avengers Cap will stay with his 3 fellow Avengers and the Caps from the TFA & TWS will be displayed together. Not quite sure about this AoU Cap yet.

After seeing the film (3 times), as much as like the STRIKE suit, I kind of see it as corrupted.
Decided to pass on this and wait for AoU Cap but I will try and get a Rogers sculpt.

I think the Age of Ultron suit looks great.

I'm still debating. I may pull the trigger on the stealth suit and then call it a day with the Cap figures.

Limited funds and space means that I need to be selective and I think the TWS stealth would be enough to complete the cap collection. I wish they included 2 HS though. I'm planning on displaying the stealth suit with the Evans Sculpt, holding the helmet.

So the second figure seems almost useless.

I think the Age of Ultron suit looks great.

I'm still debating. I may pull the trigger on the stealth suit and then call it a day with the Cap figures.

Limited funds and space means that I need to be selective and I think the TWS stealth would be enough to complete the cap collection. I wish they included 2 HS though. I'm planning on displaying the stealth suit with the Evans Sculpt, holding the helmet.

So the second figure seems almost useless.

Yeah in essence they have gotten people to think that buying what is essentially one figure with two shields, two sculpts and an accessory helmet for $340 is a good deal (about the same amount of stuff that came with Avengers Cap for $215), by including a body and some generic clothes that will be in a box somewhere if you actually want to use the plain sculpt on the stealth suit, because putting the helmet HS on the civilian body makes no sense. Devious Hot Toys.

Yeah in essence they have gotten people to think that buying what is essentially one figure with two shields, two sculpts and an accessory helmet for $340 is a good deal (about the same amount of stuff that came with Avengers Cap for $215), by including a body and some generic clothes that will be in a box somewhere if you actually want to use the plain sculpt on the stealth suit, because putting the helmet HS on the civilian body makes no sense. Devious Hot Toys.

Exactly!

The cost of the Stealth Cap from a production standpoint is probably comparable to what the civvie Cap costs, as he is also accessory-light. And a basic civilian figure with a handful of accessories like Coulson cost $175 over a year ago. HT charges what people will pay, and in general, people expect to pay more than $120 for a Hot Toys figure. Even a basic one.

But if it were two real figures then there should be an extra head sculpt so you could have an unmasked Stealth suit Cap without decapitating the civilian Rogers. Right now it just feels like that they are selling a single figures worth of stuff and justifying the the high price by throwing in an extra body.

But if it were two real figures then there should be an extra head sculpt so you could have an unmasked Stealth suit Cap without decapitating the civilian Rogers. Right now it just feels like that they are selling a single figures worth of stuff and justifying the the high price by throwing in an extra body.

It *is* a two figure set.
Cap comes wearing a Helmet and Steve is unmasked.
If you want to take Cap's lid off and display him with the normal head, that's your prerogative.
Or, you can pick up a spare unmasked headsculpt.

Lots of Hot Toys figures only have one head. First Avenger Cap didn't have two heads. Maybe it would be easier to think of the figures with extras as being really good deals, rather than thinking that releases like like or the DX Luke Skywalker are bad deals. In truth, I'm sure they are all ridiculously overpriced relative to production costs and overhead, but. . .it is what it is.

Either way you slice it $180 - $220 is a lot for a plastic 12" figure. Now that HT has the collector base hooked with all the licenses they have secured, they can take those prices higher and most of us, while not happy about it, will find a way to acquire the newest figure. I never thought I would pay more that $150 for a 1/6 figure, but once I had an Iron Man and got to see the engineering that went into that, I caved.

Either way you slice it $180 - $220 is a lot for a plastic 12" figure. Now that HT has the collector base hooked with all the licenses they have secured, they can take those prices higher and most of us, while not happy about it, will find a way to acquire the newest figure. I never thought I would pay more that $150 for a 1/6 figure, but once I had an Iron Man and got to see the engineering that went into that, I caved.

i am right there with you. I am about to start getting the Marvel stuff, I just ordered The Wolverine, have This set on order along with Thor and Winter Soldier. I am debating on getting the diecast Mark 42. But I just don't know if I want to spend $300 on a figure. But it seems that they are only going to be doing the IM figs in diecast from now on.

Prices are always increasing, but so are the quality of figures that HT puts out.
So I guess, in a sense, you do get what you pay for.

Even at $200, I think HT's figures are still better purchases than figures like the Play Arts Kai ones which costs $100. I'd rather have one nice figure that'll hold my interest for a few years, than multiple, cheaper figures that'll hold my interest for only a few months.

Still, it depends on how much of your savings you're willing to part with to purchase something you like.
In my opinion, if we do already have our finances in order, I don't see anything wrong with shelling out a some of our savings for that something we could enjoy.

At the end of the day, we'll all cease to live eventually so, let's use our money to live life to the fullest! YOLO! :D

Prices are always increasing, but so are the quality of figures that HT puts out.
So I guess, in a sense, you do get what you pay for.

Even at $200, I think HT's figures are still better purchases than figures like the Play Arts Kai ones which costs $100. I'd rather have one nice figure that'll hold my interest for a few years, than multiple, cheaper figures that'll hold my interest for only a few months.

Still, it depends on how much of your savings you're willing to part with to purchase something you like.
In my opinion, if we do already have our finances in order, I don't see anything wrong with shelling out a some of our savings for that something we could enjoy.

At the end of the day, we'll all cease to live eventually so, let's use our money to live life to the fullest! YOLO! :D

The new HT's Raiden figure is a good example of this, its way ahead of playarts but the price is also running ahead. Im way more satisfied with HT's than any other line I collect, even though Ive scaled wayyyy back on my purchases, still look forward to them

Best thing about HT figures in my opinion is that regardless the starting price, they will almost always hold or increase in value. I would have a much harder time buying a $200 figure that I could only get $50 for when I decided to sell it.

Just being a nerd here..

If one is a fan of Chris Evans' take on Steve Rogers, I think the pack of 2 would be a better investment...considering that when purchased separately, the HS ($60), TT body ($60), and clothes ($40) would cost upwards of $160...the diecast shield would probably set one back $50 or so too.

If all you need is the rogers HS and extra shield, selling off the TT body, clothes and extra helmet would probably earn you at least $120...bringing your investment in a SS Cap + Rogers HS + extra shield down to about $219 :)

Just being a nerd here..

If one is a fan of Chris Evans' take on Steve Rogers, I think the pack of 2 would be a better investment...considering that when purchased separately, the HS ($60), TT body ($60), and clothes ($40) would cost upwards of $160...the diecast shield would probably set one back $50 or so too.

If all you need is the rogers HS and extra shield, selling off the TT body, clothes and extra helmet would probably earn you at least $120...bringing your investment in a SS Cap + Rogers HS + extra shield down to about $219 :)

honestly, it would make sense to buy the two pack just to sell off those other parts on ebay... you may be able to get the stealth version for about $100

Best thing about HT figures in my opinion is that regardless the starting price, they will almost always hold or increase in value. I would have a much harder time buying a $200 figure that I could only get $50 for when I decided to sell it.

That's my reasoning as well. Every figure I have bought has just increased in value. That way when a new version comes out I can sell and replace with a better quality (and more expensive) version. Why I have slowly been getting rid of my Legends and DCUC and replacing with Hot Toys.

Back