Hot Toys - MMS196 - The Avengers: Battle Damaged Mark VII (Movie Promo Edition)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice. What is U handing him?

One of his wrist missile launchers.. Just picked a random part out if the box other than a hand.. Like this pose.. Like the Tony sculpt but REALLY struggling to find a position I like because the eyes look so 'spaced out'. I'm happy with this look for now...

One of his wrist missile launchers.. Just picked a random part out if the box other than a hand.. Like this pose.. Like the Tony sculpt but REALLY struggling to find a position I like because the eyes look so 'spaced out'. I'm happy with this look for now...

Very nice. Good thinking. I just couldn't make out what it was.

The open faced helmet is the crown jewel of this thing. Without it I probably wouldn't have kept it. Best RDJ sculpt so far...by miles.

even novices know, original factory sealed packaging is worth more to the serious collector. that's why they're willing to pay more for it.

be thankful a collector's box with a crushed corner today is more forgivable than it used to be. many factory sealed hot toys can have this flaw if not packed out.

Except that with sealed boxes from any seller other than the store, you are rolling the dice with the possibility of defects that you have no way to fix.
Plus, the batteries can leak, so that changes everything. Normally, MISB is the best, but in dealing with things with batteries that have many parts that are fragile, I think it best to open it for inspection. The same is true of statues. People open their sealed boxes to find paint flaws, broken parts, broken legs, ect. No way you want a statue that hasn't been inspected that you can't get a replacement for.

You really need to open up this high end stuff when new so any qc issues can be remedied. Which is better, a MISB figure that once opened in 10 years is found broken and you can do nothing about it then, or to open it for inspection, with gloves and care, to ensure it is qc?

Of course, if you NEVER plan to open up your sealed shipper, then it's completely irrelevant, but then, why buy the figure if you can't even look at it?

Gloves n care :rotfl Embellish some more please :lol

Fire_Proof_Suit.jpg

Went ahead and opened it. Pretty cool piece.

Will not sell this last one for the time being, as it looks better than I was anticipating.

No gloves used. I find that quite dumb, actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

isn't the midas the same as the mark vii just painted in a different color?
this is more different as it has the head sculpt and huge base.

i do agree that this is the one to have if you need/can afford only one. midas is for the completist out there.

I meant by having different mark variation. Even though midas is just a repaint, its a different mark (mark xxi) as opposed to mark vii bd, which im guessing most people would own by now.

Except that with sealed boxes from any seller other than the store, you are rolling the dice with the possibility of defects that you have no way to fix.
Plus, the batteries can leak, so that changes everything. Normally, MISB is the best, but in dealing with things with batteries that have many parts that are fragile, I think it best to open it for inspection. The same is true of statues. People open their sealed boxes to find paint flaws, broken parts, broken legs, ect. No way you want a statue that hasn't been inspected that you can't get a replacement for.

You really need to open up this high end stuff when new so any qc issues can be remedied. Which is better, a MISB figure that once opened in 10 years is found broken and you can do nothing about it then, or to open it for inspection, with gloves and care, to ensure it is qc?

Of course, if you NEVER plan to open up your sealed shipper, then it's completely irrelevant, but then, why buy the figure if you can't even look at it?

for example, the MVII BD sold out very quickly many months before it shipped. even if there was a flaw, ss would most likely not be able to replace it.

another example....i have an extra hulk, which is not replaceable by ss at this point either. if it remains factory sealed, chances are it will be worth more in 5 years than a non-sealed one. point is, it's up to the collector buying it. it may not be you but just so you are aware, there are many more that do prefer a MISB, which to me means case fresh, factory sealed. these collectors DO pay more for a sealed one and actually want a near to perfect collector box and shipper too. why? who knows but if they're willing to pay more for a sealed one, i'll try to accommodate that request.

even novices know, original factory sealed packaging is worth more to the serious collector. that's why they're willing to pay more for it.

be thankful a collector's box with a crushed corner today is more forgivable than it used to be. many factory sealed hot toys can have this flaw if not packed out.

I was being facetious. I know sealed stuff is worth more, but with high end stuff, the difference between sealed and opened but perfect is not that much. If a sealed bd mk7 is worth say $500, then you can likely expect to get around $475 for one that was opened but is complete and everything like new. The difference in price between sealed and opened is exaggerated often. There is a greater disparity in price in lower end stuff, like transformers or Neca figures, where people actually display these carded things in package. A sealed neca figure worth $20 is probably only worth like $12 loose, because the packaging is not salvageable like it is with high end hot toys/statues/etc. on cheaper stuff you came spect to loose 30-50% of the value. On high end stuff, it's really only like 5%, 10 tops.

I was being facetious. I know sealed stuff is worth more, but with high end stuff, the difference between sealed and opened but perfect is not that much. If a sealed bd mk7 is worth say $500, then you can likely expect to get around $475 for one that was opened but is complete and everything like new. The difference in price between sealed and opened is exaggerated often. There is a greater disparity in price in lower end stuff, like transformers or Neca figures, where people actually display these carded things in package. A sealed neca figure worth $20 is probably only worth like $12 loose, because the packaging is not salvageable like it is with high end hot toys/statues/etc. on cheaper stuff you came spect to loose 30-50% of the value. On high end stuff, it's really only like 5%, 10 tops.

i agree that it does depend on the piece. the MVII BD for instance, right now is fetching $600 MISB. being that there are still several out there, the difference in price may be very small from a factory sealed and one just opened to inspect.

wait one year and now the difference could be $100 when options are diminished for a collector to find one sealed. and i believe as time goes on, the gap grows.

It Probably grows to some extent. But ultimately I still thinks it remains small on these types of items because you don't have as many MISB collectors in the high end side of things. These things cost so damn much, people want to enjoy them more, and they are display pieces to be marveled at. Most people open their hot toys compared to say neca, transformer, Star Wars, whatever collectors. Sure, there are some MISB hot toy collectors, but they are statistically less significant. Most people wanting to buy a MISB hot toy aren't buying it to keep it MISB, they are simply neurotic about being the only owner of something and worry that previous owners rub cats all over their Collectibles.

But the vast majority of high end collectors take good care of their stuff, so even those who want to buy MISB still plan to open their purchase. Once the market dries up more, people will naturally have to deal with buying opened figures more often than not because those who bought them originally did not buy them to keep them sealed. Sure, that may mean that the sealed ones are even more limited and thus someone who demands to own MISB will pay a higher premium, but what it does not do is actively diminish the value of an opened one.

It Probably grows to some extent. But ultimately I still thinks it remains small on these types of items because you don't have as many MISB collectors in the high end side of things. These things cost so damn much, people want to enjoy them more, and they are display pieces to be marveled at. Most people open their hot toys compared to say neca, transformer, Star Wars, whatever collectors. Sure, there are some MISB hot toy collectors, but they are statistically less significant. Most people wanting to buy a MISB hot toy aren't buying it to keep it MISB, they are simply neurotic about being the only owner of something and worry that previous owners rub cats all over their Collectibles.

But the vast majority of high end collectors take good care of their stuff, so even those who want to buy MISB still plan to open their purchase. Once the market dries up more, people will naturally have to deal with buying opened figures more often than not because those who bought them originally did not buy them to keep them sealed. Sure, that may mean that the sealed ones are even more limited and thus someone who demands to own MISB will pay a higher premium, but what it does not do is actively diminish the value of an opened one.

Agreed. After scouting ebay for the last couple of years for Hot Toys I missed out on,there really isnt a huge differece at all. Plus the more you score the more Ebay takes:rolleyes2. Cant wait for the day when i see a AFA graded Ironman in a MISB brown shipper.:lol:monkey1

Exactly. Nobody displays Hot Toys "in package". If one does, he needs serious counseling. Lol

Gloves n care :rotfl Embellish some more please :lol

Fire_Proof_Suit.jpg

Well you don't want to get fingerprints on it, and the acids in your skin can etch things. I have seen fingerprints on magazines that removed the printed ink to reveal white paper. Logically then, the acids from your skin could also leave permanent fingerprints on a figure's paint. Some people's body chemistry is more acid, but some is less.

In any case, if you handle something painted with bare hands, you will leave fingerprints behind, which will need to be cleaned off, if only for the sake of looking nice. Why bother cleaning off fingerprints when you can prevent them in the first place?
Nitrile gloves work great because they provide better grip than bare hands, without leaving prints behind, and it also reduces the chance of accidentally scratching the paint with fingernails.
It's just prudent to wear gloves when you want something to remain as perfect as possible with the least amount of effort.

That's like some people I see in the comics shop, oh I'll go to Tesco first buy 30 pack of rubber gloves then read Batman 22... the f'k like, I used to think what if my Mark gets scratched or my finger tips could ruin the chrome... then I thought, my Grand Dad was perfect in health then 2 weeks later died, my best mates Dad dropped him off to work, next day, dead... so who cares about 5 years down the line, live NOW is what I say, never know what might happen.

That's like some people I see in the comics shop, oh I'll go to Tesco first buy 30 pack of rubber gloves then read Batman 22... the f'k like, I used to think what if my Mark gets scratched or my finger tips could ruin the chrome... then I thought, my Grand Dad was perfect in health then 2 weeks later died, my best mates Dad dropped him off to work, next day, dead... so who cares about 5 years down the line, live NOW is what I say, never know what might happen.

Preach on brotha!:lecture

Awesome pics! :hi5:

I have a friend that also collects Hot Toys, unfortunately for him he missed out when this went up for pre-order. Fortunately for myself I did get my pre-order in before it sold out. Every since then he has tried and tried to talk me in to selling it to him, I am pretty set on hanging on to it. He was trying to trade me the q.s. Batman, but I am keeping my collection 1/6th. I have most of what he has except his Tobey Spider-man, both normal and black suit, and New Goblin. He is now offering me all three figures for this one BD Mark VII. Already owning the normal Mark VII I admit I am slightly tempted. Three figures for one. But ultimately I can always go to ebay and pick up these Spider-man figures. If I part with the BD Iron Man thats it, its gone. SO on that I lean towards keeping it. Thoughts? :dunno

Keep it. Like others here have already said... Those other figures are easy to obtain and most likely this one will be expensive as hell to replace should you decide you really want it later. This is a grail piece... :wink1:

:lol For sure. You have to let a lot slide when you're talking about any fictional flick especially when it's a comic based movie. Hell, you have to let stuff slide in almost all movie in general. But fiction, comic or not that was a tough one to swallow for me. The suit that can withstand hell and high water.... and can crash thru two floors of his house to ultimetly land and crush a car.... is apparently fairly lightweight :lol

Definitely don't do it. Keeping the BD MK VII is a no brainer. No question the two Spidey figs are both fantastic pieces and the Goblin is subjective IMO. Either way they are all easily accessible. You can still get the Black Spidey from Sideshow and earn some points in doing so, You can find the original MMS143 on eBay for around $275 (and probably negotiate a better deal than that).... and the Goblin... is going nowhere :lol. You'll still be able to score him next year for $150-$160.

So right now you'd have to shell out give or take the same amount of $$$ to score those 3 pieces as you would get for selling your MK VII. The difference is next year there will be 1/5 of the amount of BD MK VIIs on eBay and they'll all be going for $800+. The other 3 pieces that you're looking at will still be around for roughly the same prices as they are today.

I'd say definitely hold your MK VII and get the other 3 pieces ay your leisure. You can get 1 of those every other month so you don't have to shell out all at once if you don't want, and again, they're not dissapearing too soon; but once you let the MK VII go… it’ll be very pricey to get back

:exactly::goodpost:

isn't the midas the same as the mark vii just painted in a different color?
this is more different as it has the head sculpt and huge base.

i do agree that this is the one to have if you need/can afford only one. midas is for the completist out there.

Midas is basically a repaint of the MKVII. I'm sure there are some accessory differences. Anyone who already has this can enlighten us of them?

Back