Hot Toys - MMS185 - The Avengers: Iron Man MK VII Official Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the whole Hot Toys business model very curious. I mean, they announce a figure 6-12 months (if not more) in advance. They presell a bunch, and I'm assuming that they know based on presales how many of each figure they should make.

But since I've been collecting (about 1.5 years) it seems like not long after every single figure comes out, they are gone. So it would seem to me that they could make more money on every single figure if they just made more of them? Sure seems to me like they're leaving money on the table with every single figure.

I mean, if you're going to go through all of the trouble to design and make these, why make just enough to have them all gone within a few weeks of release?

I find the whole Hot Toys business model very curious. I mean, they announce a figure 6-12 months (if not more) in advance. They presell a bunch, and I'm assuming that they know based on presales how many of each figure they should make.

But since I've been collecting (about 1.5 years) it seems like not long after every single figure comes out, they are gone. So it would seem to me that they could make more money on every single figure if they just made more of them? Sure seems to me like they're leaving money on the table with every single figure.

I mean, if you're going to go through all of the trouble to design and make these, why make just enough to have them all gone within a few weeks of release?

then they also run the risk of duds.. I mean you never really know how well a figure will do, we can all assume IM will sell great but HT wants to maintain the appearance of these things being limited..

What I find more confusing is why they only wholesale.. They should start up their own retail (not just toyhunters) like a website and everythingyou figure SS wholesales at like $160 which retails for $190-$200, So HT must be selling them to SS for $100-$120 for a $200 figure, So why not cut SS out of the equation? I guess they need SS NA distributorship or some weird thing like that, its just odd though

then they also run the risk of duds.. I mean you never really know how well a figure will do, we can all assume IM will sell great but HT wants to maintain the appearance of these things being limited..

What I find more confusing is why they only wholesale.. They should start up their own retail (not just toyhunters) like a website and everythingyou figure SS wholesales at like $160 which retails for $190-$200, So HT must be selling them to SS for $100-$120 for a $200 figure, So why not cut SS out of the equation? I guess they need SS NA distributorship or some weird thing like that, its just odd though

you hit the nail on the head. they don't have the distribution capabilities but they could always ship worldwide. they must not be able to house what they produce as i see what they manufacture going out their factory door directly to their distributors.

Got mine in yesterday, great swap-out options, beautiful version of the Red Marks. Even the 'Senor Stark' HS is not that bad in hand. Can't wait for the custom face plate and the BD Mark VII.

Got mine in yesterday, great swap-out options, beautiful version of the Red Marks. Even the 'Senor Stark' HS is not that bad in hand. Can't wait for the custom face plate and the BD Mark VII.

its not senor stark its Gregory Stark the 6th, tony's 3rd cousin on his dads side. dont know why HT would give us the HS of someone not even in the movie :nana::nana::nana:

Got one coming from BBTS on Wednesday, and just got my second ones order processed confirmation from Comic Oasis. These damn things are so addicting...love it:yess:

you think I wanted to pay $350 for Mark VII? I would've loved to pay $300 for it and ecstatic to pay $300 for Hulk but this isn't reality. I would rather give my money or trade to a fellow collector then feed the retailers who are selling it for $350-$400 which ruins it for everyone. I'm a collector like everyone else. I'm not in it to resell and make money, just looking to fill my display case. So yes I am mad that BBTS is charging that price

Yeah I'm sorry you missed the pre-order of this figure by a whole year. Thems the breaks. When you want to collect figures that have been sold out for months, you pay mark up prices.

Mines paid for at bbts and in pile of loot for about a week now. That means I'm guaranteed one right...right?:dunno

Yes, you will not lose your figure. If its in your PoL it means you have one set aside for you in the warehouse.

Yeah I'm sorry you missed the pre-order of this figure by a whole year. Thems the breaks. When you want to collect figures that have been sold out for months, you pay mark up prices.

Yes, you will not lose your figure. If its in your PoL it means you have one set aside for you in the warehouse.

however i never let my pile sit for long. my thoughts are, you get one allotted in their warehouse, so who wants the last one. it could be the one with the damaged box or a return. nope, don't keep it in there too long.

It's probably got more to do with the manufacturing process than them not wanting to make more money. Manufacturers require them to order a certain amount per run to secure a processing spot. Taking the exclusive numbers as an arbitrary base line of say 2000-3000 world wide, it wouldn't make much sense for them to go back into production unless there was significant penned up market demand...like 2-3 years worth of demand. There may be lots, even hundreds of fans that missed out. But are there thousands??? I doubt it.

The only guarantee is they are fully prepared to **** their customers in the *** and not even provide a courtesy spit

Ive dealt with Joel at BBTS for a long time. He is by far the most customer service oriented person ive ever dealt with from a online retailer. Im so impressed with his business model that it makes me ill reading the negative remarks about his business. I agree with a few of the above posts that you always have 6-12 months to decide if you want to preorder an item. Not sure how anyone can feel bad for the people that have to pay market value after a sell out.

Ive dealt with Joel at BBTS for a long time. He is by far the most customer service oriented person ive ever dealt with from a online retailer. Im so impressed with his business model that it makes me ill reading the negative remarks about his business. I agree with a few of the above posts that you always have 6-12 months to decide if you want to preorder an item. Not sure how anyone can feel bad for the people that have to pay market value after a sell out.

100% agree. Why anyone would badmouth BBTS, and are only basing thier opinions on thier pricing, is ridiculous. Thier CS is the best, The Best, in the game. They go out of thier way to help you.

100% agree. Why anyone would badmouth BBTS, and are only basing thier opinions on thier pricing, is ridiculous. Thier CS is the best, The Best, in the game. They go out of thier way to help you.

Except the guy a few pages back who needed it...:cuckoo:

I do agree with the point that if you didnt po then tough luck, makes sense i guess, im more tiffed that they tell someone they cant replace his piece then list a bunch for sale at higher prices.. I wont deal with them as A) i dont need to and B) will never have to

Did you even read the initial complaint a few pages back? That guy got screwed.

BBTS is great. i do a bulk of my ordering from them and have for years now. that being said, the thing i find disturbing is they rook collectors for the extra $100 by selling above retail. as a retailer, they should not raise their price on a popular figure to milk some extra cash. retailers do their business based on bulk sales. the more they sell, the more they make. the practice of raising the price instead of offering those remaining at retail or to people on a wait list makes them look greedy and non-friendly to the collector. especially NOT offering a replacement for a messed up figure. other smaller retailers had a few MVIIs between $25-$50 above retail, but $100 is pushing it beyond. it's not like BBTS is in survival mode and they are struggling to keep their doors open.

I can see why some people are hating BBTS and they have their reasons. I personally love dealing with them and have been since 2002. Their CS is top notch and they always pack your items carefully so no matter how banged up condition your box is the items are always well protected. I guess I hope those that had bad experiences get everything resolved.

Kind of redundant at this point, but my review of the Mk VII is up on CollectionDX:

https://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/iron_man_mk_vii_0

htim7-16.jpg

htim7-28.jpg

htim7-23.jpg

htim7-34.jpg

htim7-35.jpg

The Mk VII is easily my new favorite. It's a shame he's already gotten so hard to get for a fair price, because this really does seem like the one to get for standard red and gold suits.

BBTS is great. i do a bulk of my ordering from them and have for years now. that being said, the thing i find disturbing is they rook collectors for the extra $100 by selling above retail. as a retailer, they should not raise their price on a popular figure to milk some extra cash. retailers do their business based on bulk sales. the more they sell, the more they make. the practice of raising the price instead of offering those remaining at retail or to people on a wait list makes them look greedy and non-friendly to the collector. especially NOT offering a replacement for a messed up figure. other smaller retailers had a few MVIIs between $25-$50 above retail, but $100 is pushing it beyond. it's not like BBTS is in survival mode and they are struggling to keep their doors open.

Like I said a few posts back, this Hot Toys Iron Man frenzy has gotten to the best of them. I don't fault them for hiking the price up. It was up for preorder forever at 230-250. If you missed it, it's your own fault for procrastinating.
As far as BBTS not offering to replace a defective one, I do think that sucks, but I also know that I have always been treated well by their customer service. This instance seems isolated as I have not seen others post negative experiences with BBTS CS. So I am withholding judgement, as I do not know all the facts.
If there was a rush of posts that folks got denied to replace their defective Mark7, then it would hold more credence.

Back