Hot Toys - MMS174 - The Avengers: 1/6th scale Captain America Offical Specs and Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever you guys are having a bad shield day, be happy you aren't this guy!
1626_10100955977525226_17395922_n.jpg

He simply wiped the dust off with a cloth and this happened. It's clear that it's the red paint that they use. Seeing as it's an issue on the IM figures as well. They need to pick out a better red paint. :dunno

I'd strip the rest off and go for this:
PHliJZtaz7uHou_1_m.jpg

Same here, mines fine but I was pre-warned so barely touch it.

If mine was that badly damaged I'd definately strip it right back to silver, actually looks rather good!

My shield from the first Captain is getting that way, I can see the red piant cracking all over!

Have some one try repainting it?

Looking for pictures online, I found several in which the shield looks different, the star has not the details and it looks more white, red and blue than silver, red and blue....more like the original.

What do you think?

View attachment 59261

but wouldn't rubbing anything on it cause the paint to come off? I think the best way to go if you have to dust the shield go with an air duster

I say just gently use your own breath and blow on it lightly. Its small enough. Why risk it with something coarse or electronic.

Just got it yesterday! Couldn't be happier with it! I swear all the issues you guys call seem to vanish as soon as I open mine! Great figure, and my third Hot Toys figure, placed between IM2 Black Widow and Thor 1's Thor! :D

Just got it yesterday! Couldn't be happier with it! I swear all the issues you guys call seem to vanish as soon as I open mine! Great figure, and my third Hot Toys figure, placed between IM2 Black Widow and Thor 1's Thor! :D

This issue with the color flaking off the shield doesn't appear on it straight out of the box, it will take some time until it happens.

I just caved in and ordered mine too, think i'll try and play safe by leaving the shiny shield in the box and use the battle damaged one.
And this will only be my second Hot Toy, my first being Christopher Reeves Superman but also have Mark Vll or pre-order.
I'll have to take a long break after that !

Mines not chipping away yet and I've been thinking about using the testors dull coat. It'd make it more accurate in my opinion. And maybe a coat of something would help slow the process or stop the chipping all together.

Mines not chipping away yet and I've been thinking about using the testors dull coat. It'd make it more accurate in my opinion. And maybe a coat of something would help slow the process or stop the chipping all together.

I sprayed mine with the testors gloss coat and it seems to be doing fine.

AFM

I just caved in and ordered mine too, think i'll try and play safe by leaving the shiny shield in the box and use the battle damaged one.
And this will only be my second Hot Toy, my first being Christopher Reeves Superman but also have Mark Vll or pre-order.
I'll have to take a long break after that !

Which is exactly what I'm doing. I don't want to take any chances.

I lost track of things around here lately. How rapid is the shield epidemic? Is it a matter of when not if or does it not happen to all of them. Is it a matter of not handling it too much?; because I see some people saying that they just aren't taking the lean one out of the box and at just using the BD

My two cents!!
IMG_0002.jpg

Great to see that there is a proper height difference between them :yess:

I sprayed mine with the testors gloss coat and it seems to be doing fine.

AFM

Sprayed mine with a semi gloss tamiya about a month ago when it started to chip, no more issues. I heard with the last cap, leaving the shield makes no difference, unless you plan on never touching it.... whats the point in buying it?

I have just ordered another shield to test a new clear coat rather than semi gloss.

So what exactly is the issue with the chipping?

Is HT using bad quality paint?

Or did they just not put a proper finishing coat?

Also to actionfiguremovies and El-Vi-Riachi, could you guys post some pics to show how the shield looks like after the coating? Ans maybe post a guide for how we could do the same?

Last edited:
I'd imagine that the issue is because the shiny silver surface isn't holding the paint. Someone pics showed the blue is chipping too not just the red. I think that they needed to prime the portions of the shield that was to be be painted.

Back