Hot Toys - MMS173 - Predator 2: 1/6th scale City Hunter Predator Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I don't look over everything with a magnifying glass :rolleyes: Only thing different I see completely new is the headsculpt. The body I'm guessing is from the classic Predator from Predators. The breathing mask is from the guardian Predator,etc

Enjoy the $200+ reissue with a new headsculpt.

I thought alot of the armour was the same as Shadow, but i was wrong. The crotch flap is different and i think the holster belt is the same, the shin armour looks a little different and the rest.

They look quite similiar which is why i thought they were reused. :lol

As far as i can tell the re-used parts are...

• Breathing apparatus from the OG (not sure)
  • Spear from multiple figures
  • Smart disc from multiple figures
  • Body from classic and shadow figures
  • Waist armour from shadow (not sure)
  • Head sculpt looks the same as shadow and classic to me, mostly the lower half
  • Skull trophy from Berserker
  • Hands from Classic & Shadow figures

So the new parts would be...

• Stump
  • Armour
  • Wristblades
  • Medic kit
  • Bio helmet

Last edited:
Well it's a good thing cancellations are available on their site too. If I find a better price locally, I'm canceling my order with SSC.

I'm thinking after all my points become available I might use them then be done with SSC. They don't offer the best prices, and aside from decent CS, there's really nothing special about them, as far as from a customer stand point. That higher amount on their FLEX pays is just helping more people go in debt easier. Sideshow Collectibles, where your financial sanctity isn't our problem, but we'll help make it worse- with now up to 10 easy monthly installments ;)

:lecture The re-breather is from the City Hunter. Guardian (or Gort) never had one in the movie, and the one included with the Guardian toy was a different sculpt from the P2's. P2 had everyone of those accessories in the movie.

I think the chest is also a fresh sculpt; looks smoother than Classic's and Shadow's. They must've taken a page from the teachings of NECA.

:lecture The re-breather is from the City Hunter. Guardian (or Gort) never had one in the movie, and the one included with the Guardian toy was a different sculpt from the P2's. P2 had everyone of those accessories in the movie.

Yes I'm quite aware of the Predator movies. I know it belonged to the P2 in the movie. I'm simply saying that it is another reused part. With a price tag that high you would expect more no? But you get a new headsculpt and a light-up mask. They didn't even give him new wrist blades. Did you know those wrist blades were around since the first AvP figures? It is a joke to charge that much and to reuse even the wrist blades.

On the other hand can't say I'm surprised considering it is Hot Toys after all.

• Stump
  • Armour
  • Wristblades
  • Medic kit
  • Bio helmet
pred24.jpg

I thought alot of the armour was the same as Shadow, but i was wrong. The crotch flap is different and i think the holster belt is the same, the shin armour looks a little different.

They look quite similiar which is why i thought they were reused.

As far as i can tell the re-used parts are...

• Breathing apparatus from the OG (not sure)
  • Spear from multiple figures
  • Smart disc from multiple figures
  • Body from classic and shadow figures
  • Waist armour from shadow (not sure)
  • Head sculpt looks the same as shadow and classic to me, mostly the mandibles
  • Skull trophy from Berserker
  • Hands from Classic & Shadow figures

• Stump
  • Armour
  • Wristblades
  • Medic kit
  • Bio helmet

:lecture Stan Winston Studios used the same armor design from P2 on a lot of the Lost Predators, so the pieces will be the same. P2's hands have different gloves from P1 or Classic. The smart disc and spear, again, we're recycled on Lost members, but only ever used by P2 in the movie. The re-breather is unique only to him, Guardian's had a different sculpt, and only P2 used it in the movie. The mandibles are new sculpts, due to the uniqueness of the lower portion- only the Elder/Greyback had the same kind. The skull and spine trophy were only ever held in the movies by P1 and P2, HT recycles it on almost every Pred now. And again, the head design to P2 is unique to him only. The base design used by HT is the same as Classic or Shadow, but the superficial design is unique.

They didn't even give him new wrist blades. Did you know those wrist blades were around since the first AvP figures? It is a joke to charge that much and to reuse even the wrist blades.
Its clearly newly sculpted gauntlets and metal wrist blades that started with Classic (unless you count the singular Super pred's blade). What else do you want them to do short of actually changing the design?

I thought alot of the armour was the same as Shadow, but i was wrong. The crotch flap is different and i think the holster belt is the same, the shin armour looks a little different and the rest.

They look quite similiar which is why i thought they were reused. :lol

• Stump
  • Armour
  • Wristblades
  • Medic kit
  • Bio helmet

I don't see how the stump, medic kit, and wristblades are new. They look pretty much identical to me from the first release. The wrist blades are the original AvP ones :monkey4

predator2_2.jpg

63381_press06-001.jpg

The reused wrist blades from the AvP Predators and Lost Predator (yup they stuck in on a pole and called it a new weapon) :lol
mar08+030.jpg

3844_dsc_6275a_3x4.jpg

I think the chest is also a fresh sculpt; looks smoother than Classic's and Shadow's. They must've taken a page from the teachings of N***.

I can see you getting pounded for saying that, despite all the previous praise and enthusiasm you've heaped on it...all undone in some peoples eyes because you dared to suggest this.

I'm loving the mouth open savagery... the gas mask look is pretty ominous as well. But those little tiny hands... what's up with that?

Hoping the proportions change a bit by the time it goes to production.

Maybe they can include some big ole Gary Busey teeth as an accessory item, ya think?

Still, too new at this not too purchase. Adding this one to my tiny collection of 3.

:lecture Stan Winston Studios used the same armor design from P2 on a lot of the Lost Predators, so the pieces will be the same. P2's hands have different gloves from P1 or Classic. The smart disc and spear, again, we're recycled on Lost members, but only ever used by P2 in the movie. The re-breather is unique only to him, Guardian's had a different sculpt, and only P2 used it in the movie. The mandibles are new sculpts, due to the uniqueness of the lower portion- only the Elder/Greyback had the same kind. The skull and spine trophy were only ever held in the movies by P1 and P2, HT recycles it on almost every Pred now. And again, the head design to P2 is unique to him only. The base design used by HT is the same as Classic or Shadow, but the superficial design is unique.

I don't see how the stump, medic kit, and wristblades are new. They look pretty much identical to me from the first release. The wrist blades are the original AvP ones :monkey4

predator2_2.jpg

63381_press06-001.jpg

The reused wrist blades from the AvP Predators and Lost Predator (yup they stuck in on a pole and called it a new weapon) :lol
mar08+030.jpg

3844_dsc_6275a_3x4.jpg

Someone more knowledgable than me needs to make a list of whats newly developed just for this figure vs what has been recylced from any past release :lecture

Yes I'm quite aware of the Predator movies. I know it belonged to the P2 in the movie. I'm simply saying that it is another reused part. With a price tag that high you would expect more no? But you get a new headsculpt and a light-up mask. They didn't even give him new wrist blades. Did you know those wrist blades were around since the first AvP figures? It is a joke to charge that much and to reuse even the wrist blades.

Completely understand, but the sad part is everything is unique to this Predator, it was just beat into the ground on other Pred releases by HT up until this point. As far as accuracy goes, there's really nothing else that could have been included with this one.

And I'm just being a smart ass. Kinda hard to convey through typed words.

Hey as long as you guys enjoy it no worries. I just think it it a bit ridiculous to charge $220 for a figure that is mostly recycled. I expected a bit more since Hot Toys' announcement that they were revisiting the Predator franchises. Notice that there are no new accessories at all. None (unless you count the light-up mask)!

p.s. If you have the original P2 releases you'll know what I mean with the wrist blades. They don't really extend that far and it'll seem like he can cut himself with the blades.

the sad part is everything is unique to this Predator, it was just beat into the ground on other Pred releases by HT up until this point.

When people are saying recylced parts, they are not refering to the same design, but the exact same parts used before on past figures and not remodelled and remade better for this particular release.

For example the Smart Disc, instead of designing it from the ground up using modern techniques they simply took the one they designed all those years ago, replicated it and included it with the figure.

Last edited:

The wristblades are metal now, though. There's no reason to resculpt the wristblades if they're already the right shape. For all we know, maybe they actually did, but you'd never know it for that reason.

Here's what I'm thinking, as far as newly-sculpted parts go (by that I mean new sculpts from the original P2, so this list includes what we saw on Shadow just to be fair):

Body (possibly with a torso unique to this particular release)
Headsculpt
Mandibles (same pose, new sculpt; P2's trademark ridges at the base of the teeth)
Helmet
Armor
Netgun (which is probably part of the left shin armor)
Most of the hands
The stump arm (for sure, since there's a different joint at the base of the piece and it had to be resculpted to match the new gauntlet)

I do agree with sprig0701 that we've already seen most of these, but short of a King Willie head or diorama base, there isn't much else they could've included. A remake is a remake is a remake. New sculpts and paint, that's about all you can ask for. Seeing as it's a massive improvement over the first figure, it does its job.

Last edited:
When people are saying recylced parts, they are not refering to the same design, but the exact same parts used before on past figures and not remodelled and remade better for this particular release

:exactly: Of course the design of the city hunter remains the same. He shouldn't look drastically different. But to me every part looks pretty much the same. From the medic kit to the stump arm. For $220 they couldn't include one completely new accessory? The battle-damaged Predator 2 cost $130. Think about that.

And it even had this...one of the coolest accessories ever.

pred23.jpg

I can see you getting pounded for saying that, despite all the previous praise and enthusiasm you've heaped on it...all undone in some peoples eyes because you dared to suggest this.

Well, it's true. NECA's 12" prototype had a totally smooth, glossy chest and so does this one. Even though I'm fully backing HT and quitting NECA, it doesn't mean I don't acknowledge that Kyle Windrix knows his stuff. If HT learns anything from him, it's a plus in my eyes.

@darren1228: The parts that they did happen to reuse (in other words, the weapons) weren't in need of a resculpt. Paint apps are improved, that's about it. No one would take notice if they'd bothered to redo them because they'd turn out exactly the same. HT wasn't terrible at sculpting accessories back in their old days. Those were the few things they usually got right, come to think of it.

Back