Hot Toys: - MMS156 - Captain America The First Avenger Official Specs and Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.....battle damage?
LOL nope, its quite unsightly. Its not just random spots its a whole section of the edge.

I had it in a display case for quite a while and it just so happened i recently noticed the damage to it.

Ive had collectibles like an old Toy Biz iron man figure that had similar issues, but the paint effect didn't come undone like this for at least 10 years. This figure isn't even that old to be experiencing this issue.

I really wonder if Hot Toys has improved on the technique for the new figure at all.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

yeah and over time its probably going to get worse. Whatever process HT used was pretty poor. Ive seen better "electroplating" on a $10 dollar toy that lasted much longer.

I fear that given time people who purchase the 1st figure will eventually experience this issue, perhaps much sooner than expected. One can only speculate how the next figure is going to fair.

LOL nope, its quite unsightly. Its not just random spots its a whole section of the edge.

I had it in a display case for quite a while and it just so happened i recently noticed the damage to it.

Ive had collectibles like an old Toy Biz iron man figure that had similar issues, but the paint effect didn't come undone like this for at least 10 years. This figure isn't even that old to be experiencing this issue.

I really wonder if Hot Toys has improved on the technique for the new figure at all.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

thats the worst case of this I've seen, wonder what everyones shields will look like in a few years.

Its called "crazing" and its similar to what happens to ceramic pieces where the glaze chips off. The translucent red paint used simply cannot adhere well to the electroplated surface. Mine did the same thing and I touched it up with Testors Acryl transparent red on the edges when mine started doing that. The blue paint in the center is experiencing the same.

Leaking abs, chipping paint, rotting rubber...I love how Hot Toys pushes the envelope on 1/6 technology at the same time that I loathe them for producing figures that seem to fall apart far too quickly.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

How often do you handle the shield?

It looks like the red paint must be having a problem holding to the silver under coat. Mine hasn't started to chip or flake, but I do have a scratch that I have no idea where it came from.

I am really interested in getting a BD Shield from the Avengers Capt. and just packing my TFA Cap shield away, before anything does happen to it. I think with a Rescue Captain America head, a custom hollow TFA helmet, and the BD sheild I'll have what I would consider the ulitmate TFA Captain America figure.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

I'm having the same problem with my shield. It kind of turns me off to buying the new figure because I can only wonder what both of the shields for this figure will look like in a year.

Mine did the same thing and I touched it up with Testors Acryl transparent red on the edges when mine started doing that. The blue paint in the center is experiencing the same.

How bad was yours Kgrhoad, was it as bad as mind? How well did it come out when you touched it up? Has anyone yet figured if a protective fixative spray will help to minimize further deterioration?

Like the original that Stark gave Cap...

:rotfl Oh god I almost pissed myself. Great post.:lol Too bad this shield is peeling like this. Im gonna hold off on getting Avengers cap atm. As a collector who likes his figures to look non battle damaged and minty clean,this will not fly for me. :(

I wonder if there was just a bad batch of them or something? I've touched my shield plenty of times (wait, that came out wrong) and haven't had any peeling.

I haven't had an issue with mine either. (Knocks on wood). Although I don't mess wih the shield often. I kept it in the box the entire time that I posed my cap. I didn't take it out until I was happy with it.

Back