Hot Toys: - MMS156 - Captain America The First Avenger Official Specs and Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if there was just a bad batch of them or something? I've touched my shield plenty of times (wait, that came out wrong) and haven't had any peeling.

Its possible, we all know that HT is notorious for inconsitency (E.g. Tumbler loose wheel, Batman Begins broken ankle issue, ect ect) If they are truly using actual electro plating method, they could be pulling the shield out of the bath to quickly or the electric charge wasnt that strong enough. Who knows.

The fact remains that whenever you do this method, over time it will eventually deteriorate. How fast depends on the application. I really would have preffered it if they has constructed the shield using the color already embedded in the plastic.

Trust me its very frustrating and depressing considering the amount of money ive spent to have a decent looking collection and the amount of care ive spent to put it immediately in acrylic cases to ensure its longevity.

the Electroplating method last years or is it matter of months?? .. sorry I just didn't know how the shield was painted

it can last years, depending on the way the process is done and how you handle the product. In my personal opinion electroplating just isnt a great long lasting method. All your doing in electroplating is depositing a thin coat of a different metal to the surface via an electrical field. Its very similar to anodizing, neither method last that long.

Last edited:
Agreed. I take care of my collectibles and will be thoroughly disappointed if this happens in say.... 5 years? Perhaps I should buy extras on eBay just in case? :gah:

I didn't know about this until a few hours ago.. but I don't recommend that, if you buy extras they'll be as old or older than the shield you currently have so it might happen the same to those, maybe its a matter of luck, some people doesn't have this issue.. dunno :dunno lets hope it lasts longer

Honeslty what would be nice is to figure out if applying either a laquer coat or even an Art fixative spray will help mimimize further deterioration or scratches.

Unfortunatley i have no idea what type of chemical reaction this would cause.

I used to use krylon fixative spray for artists . I emailed Krylon to see what they recommend if i get a positive response ill be sure post it here..

I didn't know about this until a few hours ago.. but I don't recommend that, if you buy extras they'll be as old or older than the shield you currently have so it might happen the same to those, maybe its a matter of luck, some people doesn't have this issue.. dunno :dunno lets hope it lasts longer

You got a valid point there. :gah: :gah: :gah:

Received my backorder pieces from sideshow today. Haven't had time to check it out but funny it came with no brown shipper. Still stoked I got one.

Got my BD Avengers shield today whoo!

005-10.jpg

Well my $25 Hobby Lobby bike is mostly finished. Here is how the bike looked when it arrived:

486993_10152091259124460_213660135_n.jpg

Here it is after my paintjob:

154651_10152109513049460_304161599_n.jpg

532562_10152109513044460_1773041766_n.jpg

537756_10152109513064460_490904446_n.jpg

I would like to add leather pouches to the back, but haven't found anything for that just yet.

Is that the official HT Avengers shield?

TFA Captain America Figure came with one shiny undamaged shield, a lot of collectors said it was too clean, and some are having problems with the paint (red) coming off.

The Avengers Captain America comes with two shields. A shiny clean version like the TFA, and a battle Damaged shield, that is the BD Shield that the Avenger Cap id holding. A lot of collectors (like me) are going on the secondary market, or if they have both version and putting the BD Shield on their TFA, it looks much better.

Back