Hot Toys - MMS113 - Blade II - 1/6th scale BLADE Ltd Ed spec + pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tylerdurden: that might have just been Del Toro being political and playing nice as I'm pretty sure Snipes' guy was the fight choreographer on that film.

it may very well be the case. that's why in my earlier post i said yen's diminished presence could be due to snipes' insecurity or envy.

Man I really want this figure. It looks great. As I'm reading the posts, it cracks me up that people keep calling Yen's characters 'snowball'. His name in the movie is Snowman. He just doesn't seem as intimidating being called Snowball. :)

having said that, del toro is one of the very few western directors who understand how to shoot martial arts. which is to use a wider lens and less cuts, and just let the performers do their thing.

100% in agreement there, even TDK and BB suffer from the lightning cut technique, I hate it half the time you dont even know whos winning!! :)

the fight scene with prince nuada in hellboy 2 is a great example.

No no no!! speeding up his movements is totally unforgivable!! His movements looked great I saw no need for the speed-up. Especially to the degree where its that noticeable!

I don't know why, but the head is starting to grow on me. I'm having that figure even if they don't tweak it. All that gear is worth the price alone.

No no no!! speeding up his movements is totally unforgivable!! His movements looked great I saw no need for the speed-up. Especially to the degree where its that noticeable!

I'm not much a martial arts guy, I honestly didn't notice.

Doubt it. I've known about similar speed ups used in car chases for decades and I still don't notice unless it's comedy fast.

You guys notice that HT's Asian sculptors are having a tough time with African Americans like Wesley Snipes here. They are the best with Asian headsculpts like Goemon, ok with Causasians in TDK and Terminator Salvation, but they are really having trouble here. I just don't see Wesley Snipes in there. I think the Toybiz head looks better. I am still in for 2 due to the excellent gear, but HT has to work on the headsculpt....

You guys notice that HT's Asian sculptors are having a tough time with African Americans like Wesley Snipes here. They are the best with Asian headsculpts like Goemon, ok with Causasians in TDK and Terminator Salvation, but they are really having trouble here. I just don't see Wesley Snipes in there. I think the Toybiz head looks better. I am still in for 2 due to the excellent gear, but HT has to work on the headsculpt....

That's a nice attempt at theorizing, but I don't think there's a correlation between the race of a subject and the quality of the HT sculpt it's based on. I mean, have you seen HT's Thriller Michael Jackson or Sam Jackson (Octopus) from The Spirit? Holy hell, those are two of what I consider HT's best sculpts to date.

It is only because they do so many more caucasian sculpts than Asian that one could easily conclude that all their Asian sculpts are spot on. But there are probably the same number (or more) of caucasian sculpts that are just as good. It's just that the white peoplez get more attention (byproduct of popular culture and movies) that there are more opportunities to miss the mark, whereas - ironically - HT doesn't do a whole of product based on Asian actors.

Also, it's not like one sculptor at HT works on the sculpts, they have a team of people (and sometimes they outsource, i.e. Hellboy's sculptor Gorae) who work on these magnificent little portraits.

It's easy to forget how many different sculptors have done work for HT over these years and across all these characters. I mean, I was surprised that even Andy Bergholtz did the sculpts on the Mars Attacks! figures. The head sculptor on Blade is So Young Lee. I tried looking on the HT website but I couldn't find any other work he/she has done.

EDIT: Looked some more, So Young Lee also did the sculpt for the Silk Spectre II figure.

Last edited:
That's a nice attempt at theorizing, but I don't think there's a correlation between the race of a subject and the quality of the HT sculpt it's based on. I mean, have you seen HT's Thriller Michael Jackson or Sam Jackson (Octopus) from The Spirit? Holy hell, those are two of what I consider HT's best sculpts to date.

It is only because they do so many more caucasian sculpts than Asian that one could easily conclude that all their Asian sculpts are spot on. But there are probably the same number (or more) of caucasian sculpts that are just as good. It's just that the white peoplez get more attention (byproduct of popular culture and movies) that there are more opportunities to miss the mark, whereas - ironically - HT doesn't do a whole of product based on Asian actors.

Also, it's not like one sculptor at HT works on the sculpts, they have a team of people (and sometimes they outsource, i.e. Hellboy's sculptor Gorae) who work on these magnificent little portraits.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

All I care about is a Nomak fig. Honestly my introduction to HT is still recent but its enough for me to be more interested in awesome layered clothing than headsculpt. Although not by much that kinda makes it seem like I dont care about headsculpt, I do, but I just love seeing a 1/6 fig wearing layers of clothing but not looking like a Ken doll...I want both basically, but I'd rather have a slighty off headsculpt than clothes that fit like ^^^^. Just me...

Nomak would be so bad ass for both the weathered clothing and the heads which would have very complicated nearly Abe Sapien/Predator-esque paintwork.

It must be you then, since I do see Snipes in the sculpt, the only
thing that HT needs to do is slightly darken the complexion, but
one can easily discern that its Snipes.

Agreed. I don't think there's not correlation either. HT has seem to constantly capture the likeness of African American characters/persons just as
consistent as any other character they put out. The Sam Jackson and Michael Jackson sculpts being phenomenal.

Last edited:
100% in agreement there, even TDK and BB suffer from the lightning cut technique, I hate it half the time you dont even know whos winning!! :)

yeah those 2 films, as great as they are, had crap editing for the fight scenes. esp batman begins. the worst of all to me, was the bourne supremacy. what's the point of getting matt damon to train so hard in kali and krav maga, when u can't see a damn thing he's doing?

actually, i wasn't referring to the usage of speeded-up footage, rather the use of long lens and less cuts, so u could see their choreography. the trade-off was they had to speed it up cos perlman and goss obviously aren't real martial artists, so they tend to be a little slower in executing their moves. furthermore, perlman was in such heavy make-up and prosthetics. i can forgive them for it, under those circumstances...

anyway, sped-up footage has been used by hong kong forever. almost all of jackie chan's hk stuff are slightly sped up to make it look even more fast & furious. (eg: drunken master series)...

even donnie yen's earlier work was sped-up (eg: iron monkey, his duel with jet li in once upon a time in china 2).

but you're right in the sense that if speeding up footage is not done well, it looks terrible and destroys the crediblity and authenticity of the fighting...

Back