Hot Toys - MMS: X-Men 1st Class (License Discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys-MMS: X-Men 1st Class

Saw the movie and love it. One of the best comic book movie ever and right up there with Batman Begins.

However, not interested in the HT line of this. I have a feeling it will sell badly in this part of the world. Feedback has been great movie but not so great character designs that one would want as a figure.

Last edited:

Magneto would sell well...not sure about the others.

That's one depressing thing about this hobby... I don't care about how the character looks as much as how awesome the character was. Too bad most collectors do, and so of course companies go where the money will be.

^ I'm the same.

No matter how "cool" a character looks, if I'm indifferent to the character or hate the character in whatever film/tv show/property, then I won't collect it.

I think everything HT does is "cool", but does that mean I'm going to pre-order, say, Superman? No, because Superman is my least favorite comic book hero. I can barely stand him.

I do think Magneto will be the biggest seller of the line.

Last edited:

That's one depressing thing about this hobby... I don't care about how the character looks as much as how awesome the character was. Too bad most collectors do, and so of course companies go where the money will be.

I don't understand this. How is that depressing? Oh people buy posters that look nice sometimes rather than posters of their favorite movies. That sure is depressing right? A lot of the non scalpers put these things on display in these nice glass cases. Of course they want the figures to look noteworthy. It's one thing to throw down two hundred dollars just because you like a character, but throwing it down because it's appealing makes more sense.

And in case you didn't realize, most of the time we find things more appealing because we like the character. And yes, the terrible evil companies are spending thousands of dollars obtaining licenses and then have the nerve to try to make money.

I don't understand this. How is that depressing? Oh people buy posters that look nice sometimes rather than posters of their favorite movies. That sure is depressing right? A lot of the non scalpers put these things on display in these nice glass cases. Of course they want the figures to look noteworthy. It's one thing to throw down two hundred dollars just because you like a character, but throwing it down because it's appealing makes more sense.

And in case you didn't realize, most of the time we find things more appealing because we like the character. And yes, the terrible evil companies are spending thousands of dollars obtaining licenses and then have the nerve to try to make money.

Agreed. With me sometimes it's both the look and the character. I liked Black Widow, but I won't buy the figure because I can't stand the likeness. I had a poster from Spiderman 1 framed when Spiderman 2 is my fravorite of the series. Why? Because IMO it's the best looking poster of the series.

Erm, I'm not sure we're on the same page.

I'm saying I'd rather have characters I like in my shelf than characters that just look cool. For example, they wouldn't make Inception characters because they aren't visually stunning enough... but they sure as hell are more appealing as characters than New Goblin. But most collectors won't buy the figure unless it's a superhero or alien of some sort. Poor sales of figures like Landa and Aldo has shown us that (Waltz's performance > Cage's Ghost Rider, McGuire's Spiderman, Snipe's Blade, yadda yadda).

I never said it was bad to make money. I'm saying it's depressing we don't get figures from more noteworthy characters/films. HT's license catalog isn't the most distinguished.

Last edited:

If I don't like a character or franchise, then I'm not going to find the item appealing - no matter how cool or pretty it might be.

I love movie posters and have many, but all the ones I have I own because I'm a big fan of the movie/franchise - of course I pick the one I like the best. But there are tons of awesome movie posters out there that I'll never buy because I'm not a big enough fan of the film or the character and if I'm not it has no appeal for me. I can appreciate the style and look. But it's not appealing for me to buy it.

:dunno It just comes down to personal preference, I think. To each his own.

I'm saying I'd rather have characters I like in my shelf than characters that just look cool. For example, they wouldn't make Inception characters because they aren't visually stunning enough... but they sure as hell are more appealing as characters than New Goblin. But most collectors won't buy the figure unless it's a superhero or alien of some sort. Poor sales of figures like Landa and Aldo has shown us that (Waltz's performance > Cage's Ghost Rider, McGuire's Spiderman, Snipe's Blade, yadda yadda).

I never said it was bad to make money. I'm saying it's depressing we don't get figures from more noteworthy characters/films. HT's license catalog isn't the most distinguished.

Problem here is what you consider "noteworthy character/films" differs from other people's opinions.

Btw Snipe's Blade > any of those you mentioned :D

There's also the fact that characters like Spider-man and Ghostrider existed for so long that they are more or less pop icons, where as characters from Inception and Bastards are merely "newbies" in comparison to what Marvel characters are today. From just the film stand point, its true that Spiderman < Inception, but from pop culture stand point Spiderman >>>> Inception.. I think there are many collectors who buy superhero not just solely based on the mediocre movies, they buy them because they like the character from different sources like comics, cartoon, games, movies etc..

Last edited:

I dunno if new goblin outsells Aldo I'll be shocked...

I think New Goblin will sell well based on Spider-man coming.

Some characters stand alone, others don't stand alone as well, and you'll have some collectors who will pass on a figure because ____ wasn't made (insert must have character of your choice).

I think the problem with the Basterds line is that it took them so long to release the two figures they did. By waiting too long, you lose your "fad" collectors - the ones who say they'll buy it when it's first announced/when the movie's just released, but later end up passing on it because something else comes along to catch the next ten seconds of their attention.

I also do think Theokan has a good point about iconic characters, and why some of these characters would sell even if the movie they're from isn't exactly great cinema.

HT.....where's my First Class announcement?!?!?!

Fassbender's face is also a selling point if Magneto is made. His feature looks like it would translate well in plastic lol.

By waiting too long, you lose your "fad" collectors - the ones who say they'll buy it when it's first announced/when the movie's just released, but later end up passing on it because something else comes along to catch the next ten seconds of their attention.

:exactly: :lecture

I think the problem with the Basterds line is that it took them so long to release the two figures they did. By waiting too long, you lose your "fad" collectors - the ones who say they'll buy it when it's first announced/when the movie's just released, but later end up passing on it because something else comes along to catch the next ten seconds of their attention.

I think it's a trade-off. Hot Toys could probably put most of these figures out sooner, but they wouldn't be as lifelike and screen accurate. They can't truly hash out a sculpt until they receive detailed assets and screen captures from the movie, and sometimes that doesn't happen until the movie is actually released if the studio isn't being cooperative. It's why the two Dark Knight DX figures look so much better and more accurate than the original Batman and Joker figures they did.

Generally, I'm happy to wait as long as they need to produce the best possible figure. But the sad truth is that for some lesser franchises, there comes a point where the target audience just isn't interested anymore.

I think it's a trade-off. Hot Toys could probably put most of these figures out sooner, but they wouldn't be as lifelike and screen accurate. They can't truly hash out a sculpt until they receive detailed assets and screen captures from the movie, and sometimes that doesn't happen until the movie is actually released if the studio isn't being cooperative. It's why the two Dark Knight DX figures look so much better and more accurate than the original Batman and Joker figures they did.

Generally, I'm happy to wait as long as they need to produce the best possible figure. But the sad truth is that for some lesser franchises, there comes a point where the target audience just isn't interested anymore.

I agree i would much rather wait and know im getting the best possible figure they can make then have them rush figures out the door just to have them out during the movie.

I also agree this may kill the mass market at times but if you really enjoy a character you still may want it even years later.

Goblin will sell as well as Abigail Whistler.

Wasn't someone saying in the New Goblin thread how Hot Toys New Goblin is surprisingly very popular with the Asian fans right now? Just because a bunch of Americans online are raging about a figure and it doesn't appeal to them doesn't mean the figure is going to sell as bad as Abigail.

Wasn't someone saying in the New Goblin thread how Hot Toys New Goblin is surprisingly very popular with the Asian fans right now? Just because a bunch of Americans online are raging about a figure and it doesn't appeal to them doesn't mean the figure is going to sell as bad as Abigail.

As far as i'm aware New Goblin has been well received with only a few folks moaning about it not being Green Goblin. It'll sell just fine.

Asia is Hot Toys biggest market so as long as Hot Toys pleases them they will get enough cash to keep making more collectibles. It was barely even a waste of resources considering how easy the figure would have been to make.

Back