1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - The Phantom Menace - Qui-Gon Jinn

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do people wish to get out of collecting Hot Toys and talk about the line as if it's dying? I hope they continue for as long as possible. Still so many great characters to make. Off the top of my head the figures they'll probably still get around to are... X-Wing Luke, C-3PO, TIE Fighter Pilot, Death Star Trooper (insert laughter), Rebel Fleet Trooper, Hoth Han, Hoth Luke, AT-AT Pilot, ESB Han, ESB Lando, Jabba, Boushh Leia, Endor Leia, ROTJ Vader, Scout Trooper, Poe Dameron, Cassian, TPM Obi-Wan, AOTC Padme, AOTC Anakin, AOTC Obi-Wan, Mace Windu, Grievous, ROTJ Palpatine, Clone Troopers (various) and Battle Droids (various). That's not even factoring in the new films and series.

Because eventually I need to stop spending money on these things.

Okay, now that I understand haha. I just don't understand the comments about the line dying and slowing down. How's it slowing down when we've been getting pre-orders put up regularly every month? When Solo came out there were figures going up once a week for a few weeks. There's still an awful lot of life in this line, with the prequels currently getting the limelight.

So here is a visual reminder of what we are moving on from with a sixth scale Qui-Gon....this is Sideshow's effort from a few years back. A decent enough figure for it's time, but the upgrade is most welcome:

QUI-GON JINN-005.jpg

I think it's safe to say that even if HT is not "perfect" with the portrait, it is a big leap forward in quality for presenting this character.
Can't wait to see some con shots of it soon....

The thing that really bugs me about hot toys these days is their failure to evolve and stay ahead of the game. I'm looking at the pics of him and maul and he just looks dull and bored, this head only works for museum poses. Yet Darth maul they went all out on the DLX and gave use a very expressive head, I'm just feeling kind of sick of the dull Ness of a lot of their figures

The thing that really bugs me about hot toys these days is their failure to evolve and stay ahead of the game. I'm looking at the pics of him and maul and he just looks dull and bored, this head only works for museum poses. Yet Darth maul they went all out on the DLX and gave use a very expressive head, I'm just feeling kind of sick of the dull Ness of a lot of their figures

I definitely get what you're saying and I personally love faces with expressions. Look at the photo from the poster above of Qui Gon dueling Maul and the dead stare looks dumb. He's just looking at his crotch.

Now this is making me think he can't tilt his head up at all with the molded hair, why would they pose it like that? If they're not going to do multiple heads, provide multiple hair pieces for different poses.

I definitely get what you're saying and I personally love faces with expressions. Look at the photo from the poster above of Qui Gon dueling Maul and the dead stare looks dumb. He's just looking at his crotch.

Now this is making me think he can't tilt his head up at all with the molded hair, why would they pose it like that? If they're not going to do multiple heads, provide multiple hair pieces for different poses.

Exactly, looks like mid battle he is thinking " Did I leave the milk out?"

^ Thing is HT aren't very good at doing expressive sculpts either. They always do gritted teeth type expressions. That so called expressive maul sculpt looks weird. I'll take this sculpt gladly so long as they don't ruin it on mp somehow.

^ Thing is HT aren't very good at doing expressive sculpts either. They always do gritted teeth type expressions. That so called expressive maul sculpt looks weird. I'll take this sculpt gladly so long as they don't ruin it on mp somehow.

Mostly agree with this. They do need variety within licenses though. For Star Wars I think TLJ Luke has a good intense sculpt as did Ren. But they do often default to a neutral, slightly too-placid look.

For a lot of characters that’s okay. Placid Chirrut from Rogue One makes sense, so does TLJ Leia, though they at some point need to give a Leia sculpt some ‘tude.

Smiling Emperor is weird, when neutral (which means grumpy for him) would have been more accepted across the board. Smirky Han was a bit weird, they nailed it with the Star Lord figures. Tarkin is neutral and serious, which works for his character.

Personally I'd love to see some warmer and less serious expressions on these figures, especially when it comes to SW. When looking over my collection recently my sister commented that they all look WAY too grim and serious for Star Wars, and I couldn't really disagree. :D

Back