Hot Toys MMS - Shazam! - Shazam Action Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny how this movie is just around the corner, and they’re just teasing this figure. Endgame is at the end of the month, but already 2 figures are up for preorder, or will be in a day or so.

Funny how this movie is just around the corner, and they’re just teasing this figure. Endgame is at the end of the month, but already 2 figures are up for preorder, or will be in a day or so.

A Shazam figure is nowhere near in demand as Avengers ones. HT is simply providing whats in demand most.

Because the Avengers are much more popular than Shazam. Are we really still doing this? Guys, the figure has been confirmed. There's no need for the Marvel vs. DC conspiracy stuff anymore.

Because the Avengers are much more popular than Shazam. Are we really still doing this? Guys, the figure has been confirmed. There's no need for the Marvel vs. DC conspiracy stuff anymore.

It's not a conspiracy theory but basic business.
The production line can only handle so much.
The multiplication of MCU and Star Wars figures coincides with the diminution of DC figures, simple enough.

Well, yeah. That's pretty much my point. The Avengers are a proven commodity that is more popular than Shazam, so they take precedence. That sucks for DC-only fans, but there's nothing fishy or conspiratorial about that. The previous thread was full of insinuations of that nature and claims that Disney was somehow putting the squeeze on Hot Toys and demanding they not promote DC properties, rather than the obvious answer here which was that HT is placing more time and energy on the MCU than the DCEU because the former is more popular than the latter.

Now, things are going well for the DCEU after a rough start and things are looking bright. I imagine if that continues there will be more from Hot Toys for the franchise (and we're definitely getting at least a figure from Wonder Woman 1984, and probably a new Harley for Birds of Prey).

Well, yeah. That's pretty much my point. The Avengers are a proven commodity that is more popular than Shazam, so they take precedence. That sucks for DC-only fans, but there's nothing fishy or conspiratorial about that. The previous thread was full of insinuations of that nature and claims that Disney was somehow putting the squeeze on Hot Toys and demanding they not promote DC properties, rather than the obvious answer here which was that HT is placing more time and energy on the MCU than the DCEU because the former is more popular than the latter.

Now, things are going well for the DCEU after a rough start and things are looking bright. I imagine if that continues there will be more from Hot Toys for the franchise (and we're definitely getting at least a figure from Wonder Woman 1984, and probably a new Harley for Birds of Prey).

I for one would love to see sales figures, as over here in the UK I've seen many Avengers figures on sale – sure they're popular, but due to their price there's only so many most collectors will buy.
I'm sure most of HT sales of those figures will be stores buying them to sell on because of the popularity of the movies – but that doesn't mean customers are actually buying them... just look at Marvel Comics, their sales are through the floor despite the MCU's success.

YES!!! This is one that I want in my collection without having to create it on my own! It's also from a movie where I'm sure Hot Toys will NOT make the villain....and this time, that doesn't bother me...:wink1:

I am surprising people not excited over this. I am Shazam fan and finally I will get 1/6 Shazam. **** yeah....

Well, hard to blame them. IW figures still coming, EG right around the corner, next Spiderman too. Shazam is in Marvel's shadow. Movie and figure.

I’m excited — classic superhero, a fun and intentionally naive costume calling back to simpler times.

Only so much dark-gritty-tactical-everything I can take.

There is room for both, of course. But I’m definitely stoked for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw Shazam during the Fandango early screening and really enjoyed it.

Currently I don't have a single Hot Toys on preorder but will order this day one.

Definitely looking forward to this figure (and movie!).

Artist C.C. Beck based the look of the original Captain Marvel on a popular actor at the time - Fred MacMurray. Fred grew up in my home town in Wisconsin. One more reason to love the Big Red Cheese!

I for one would love to see sales figures, as over here in the UK I've seen many Avengers figures on sale – sure they're popular, but due to their price there's only so many most collectors will buy.
I'm sure most of HT sales of those figures will be stores buying them to sell on because of the popularity of the movies – but that doesn't mean customers are actually

Hot Toys is a business. If they weren't selling, retailers wouldn't be ordering them in the numbers to drive such a vast selection of characters in the first place.

buying them... just look at Marvel Comics, their sales are through the floor despite the MCU's success.

That has literally nothing to do with action figures. America comics have been in a death spiral since the market went belly up in the 90s.

Definitely looking forward to this figure (and movie!).

Artist C.C. Beck based the look of the original Captain Marvel on a popular actor at the time - Fred MacMurray. Fred grew up in my home town in Wisconsin. One more reason to love the Big Red Cheese!

lww3gpujupp21.jpg
:)
lww3gpujupp21.jpg
lww3gpujupp21.jpg

Shazam's look was inspired by Steve Douglas of My Three Sons? I didn't know that. I remember watching Double Indemnity for the first time & being surprised by how good FM was in it. I'm assuming he primarily inspired Shazam's facial features, as I remember him as tall and lanky - i.e., he didn't have a superhero physique.

Hot Toys is a business. If they weren't selling, retailers wouldn't be ordering them in the numbers to drive such a vast selection of characters in the first place.

That has literally nothing to do with action figures. America comics have been in a death spiral since the market went belly up in the 90s.

Well, on the first point –*you may be right, but maybe not. Retailers can be pressured into purchasing more figures than there is market demand for, or can misjudge how popular they maybe... the Adam West/Burt Ward Batman & Robin figures are a prime example of this. Star Wars too is a great example – look how many Star Wars toys are warming shelves.

But my main reason for the point was this...

If HT produce 1000 Captain America figures and they all sell out, it would seem that is a popular figure,
Then say they produced 10,000 Adam West Batman figures but only sold 5,000 – only half sold would seem like it's not popular, when it sold 5x as many as the CA hypothetically.
Therefore, my point is - how many units are produced for each figure... as I say, i'm seeing a lot of discounted Avengers - is it because there are too many made?

And on the second part, it literally IS to do with the subject at hand, as the intimation was that Marvel figures are popular to buy because the MCU is popular, well if that IS the reason then you would conversely think that the comics would have seen an upswing in popularity too wouldn't you?

Anyway, back on subject - this could very well be the first HT figure I pick up for a couple of years :joy

Well, on the first point –*you may be right, but maybe not. Retailers can be pressured into purchasing more figures than there is market demand for, or can misjudge how popular they maybe... the Adam West/Burt Ward Batman & Robin figures are a prime example of this. Star Wars too is a great example – look how many Star Wars toys are warming shelves.

But my main reason for the point was this...

If HT produce 1000 Captain America figures and they all sell out, it would seem that is a popular figure,
Then say they produced 10,000 Adam West Batman figures but only sold 5,000 – only half sold would seem like it's not popular, when it sold 5x as many as the CA hypothetically.
Therefore, my point is - how many units are produced for each figure... as I say, i'm seeing a lot of discounted Avengers - is it because there are too many made?

No offense, but that relies on the idea that the toys actually aren't selling well and that Marvel is forcing retailers to order them anyway, which is just a way for you to try and make an anti-Marvel point without having to actually provide any evidence to back it up.

And on the second part, it literally IS to do with the subject at hand, as the intimation was that Marvel figures are popular to buy because the MCU is popular, well if that IS the reason then you would conversely think that the comics would have seen an upswing in popularity too wouldn't you?

No, because it isn't. Comic book adaptations pretty much never influence the sales of the comics, save for trade paperbacks based on specific storylines. The horrendous state of the market as well as a bunch of other factors assures this. This has been pretty common knowledge for years.

https://comicsalliance.com/thought-bubble-2-movie-success-and-comic-sales/
https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...n-superheroes-comic-books-20180714-story.html

Again, I don't mean this to be a jerk, but this all just sounds like you personally not liking Marvel (which is fine) and trying to paint them as somehow being unsuccessful based off anecdotes or conspiracies.

He absolutely owns the role as well. This is the best superhero casting I've seen in a while; he kills the performance.

Back