Hot toys MMS - Iron Man MK. 33 Silver Centurion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its a matter of quality and price sweet spot. I've been quoted £40 and £70 so far but they haven't had experience painting a HT IM before

Anyone quoting you that price will butcher your figure. Start thinking around ten times that and you'll be in the right ball park.

I'm pretty certain you're going to need to strip the original paint.. Then prime it, then start painting it.

I'm actually thinking about adding some wear and tear to my centurion, just a little bit though.

Sorry I don't know anyone that will do a decent job for that price.

Yeah.. That price seems really low.

Re: Hot Toys Iron Man Mark 33

£700?! Blimey thats some big boy rockstar customisers!

You can't just throw paint on it. The whole figure needs to be disassembled and stripped. Primed, sanded, primed, prepped color paint, sanded, clear, sanded, reassembled. A custom 1/6 full paint job starts at about 500usd and can cost two or three times that easily. I've seen it done for a lot less but it almost always has problems or is fragile.

If I where you I would buy a cheap figure at a store and practice. Grab one of the 12 inch figures you can see at Walmart.

Re: Hot Toys Iron Man Mark 33

Yeah i did try on a 1/9 scale figure

*looks to the floor embarrased
a822f959c1f394174d6c978eb2597141.jpg
f62ce8956141cbb8f0c24c51e4e7f42a.jpg
36a57e2fed157543aba754ad3da99728.jpg
5f731fa2bf60e04657f00d1db527e97b.jpg

Just keep practicing. To do it right you need to strip it and tear it down. Wear gloves is another thing. Will prevent those fingerprints. There's a thread here for repainting a hulkbuster toy. Check that out. And you may want grab one of hot toys 1/6 busts and try painting that. It will give you an idea how the material hot toys uses takes paint. And something you can try different shades of color on. It's what I used to use for custom tests.

But yeah, if you want it done well the price will be high.

Just keep practicing. To do it right you need to strip it and tear it down. Wear gloves is another thing. Will prevent those fingerprints. There's a thread here for repainting a hulkbuster toy. Check that out. And you may want grab one of hot toys 1/6 busts and try painting that. It will give you an idea how the material hot toys uses takes paint. And something you can try different shades of color on. It's what I used to use for custom tests.

But yeah, if you want it done well the price will be high.

great advice.

i've only ever fully repainted a could figures and have added some details to things here and there.. but i've never done it with a hot toys figure. just curious, if one were so inclined how would you go about adding small nicks and scuffs here and there to one of these. clean the figure to remove dirt and oil and whatnot.. then add the nicks and stuff, then clear coat?

Honestly there's a bunch of ways to do it. Each painter has their own method or trick. From painted on to actual damage that's painted. There's just so many ways to do it that you need to experiment and figure out which way works for you. There's a set of books I often recommend to those getting started that really help. By a company out of Spain. (Mig)They have excellent instructions and pictures and walk through. If anyone's really interested I can list them. They are not cheap but not to expensive. 20 bucks I think. I got them for my daughter. She asked me to teach her but she kept getting frustrated so I thought these would help. And she got better very quickly. And I picked up a few things and I've painted for years.

Honestly there's a bunch of ways to do it. Each painter has their own method or trick. From painted on to actual damage that's painted. There's just so many ways to do it that you need to experiment and figure out which way works for you. There's a set of books I often recommend to those getting started that really help. By a company out of Spain. (Mig)They have excellent instructions and pictures and walk through. If anyone's really interested I can list them. They are not cheap but not to expensive. 20 bucks I think. I got them for my daughter. She asked me to teach her but she kept getting frustrated so I thought these would help. And she got better very quickly. And I picked up a few things and I've painted for years.

for now i only plan on just adding some small nicks and and scuffs.. similar to the way they've done them on the shot gun armor.

Even that is something these books cover. Well they are not books. More like over sized magazines. They call them Mooks in Japan. Lol anyway...those scratches can actually be harder then a full repaint to get right. At least to make them realistic. There is a whole book thing on just doing that. Called weathering. Trust me, if your looking to do any type of custom paint these are a great tool.

They show paint ideas, exact steps, what extras to use.this article shows a clean "robot type" figure that is customized to have scratches and nicks. This one has a lot but you can always use less obviously. Just gives you info on how to do it. Pretty good stuff.

These resources are great Becuase you can see before and during and after progress shots. It's not just instructions. It tells you exactly what to use. And you don't have to rely on some random guy on the Internet to learn.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks awesome, though that's way more extensive than what I'm planning to do.

I'm just going to do the small silver nicks that you see on shotgun.. Well, the ones on heartbreaker would probably be a better example.

I think I'll just get some model masters silver, test it, and see what happens. There are so many differing opinions on things.

A friend of mine needs some cash and offered to sell me his S.C. pretty cheap... I wasn't going to buy it since I already own one, but seeing the customizing made me change my mind.

I don't have steady hands at all and I really don't trust myself to do a custom paint job on one of these, especially matching the silver... but I'm looking for someone that can do this to the arms and legs of one of these and make it look like it came that way. (I looked for awhile but couldn't find the original post to quote it, I didn't make this or post it the first time, so credit to whoever did this)
silvercenturion.jpg

A friend of mine needs some cash and offered to sell me his S.C. pretty cheap... I wasn't going to buy it since I already own one, but seeing the customizing made me change my mind.

I don't have steady hands at all and I really don't trust myself to do a custom paint job on one of these, especially matching the silver... but I'm looking for someone that can do this to the arms and legs of one of these and make it look like it came that way. (I looked for awhile but couldn't find the original post to quote it, I didn't make this or post it the first time, so credit to whoever did this)
View attachment 265176

I would've loved for this to be how it was portrayed in the movie!! Near perfection. I too brought up that pic some time ago and now I forget who said they originally did it with the hopes to one day customize it.

Back