Hot Toys - MMS DX 11 - TDK: The Joker 2.0 Collectible Figure specs and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few regular ***, non-shiny natural light pics of the PERS sculpt I got today. Everything is DX01 except the head. Sculpt is great in person.

joker1-5.jpg

joker2-4.jpg

joker3-4.jpg

:goodpost:

My favorite pics of that sculpt yet, Hot Toys really nailed the mouth expression!

Once again great pics cr0w! :clap :clap

I think the hair is throwing the likeness off. It's too short and flat. Heaths hair does look shorter in the interrogation seen when he's all sweaty but hot toys just missed the mark. I think the bank robber sculpt has the best hair.

I think the hair is throwing the likeness off. It's too short and flat. Heaths hair does look shorter in the interrogation seen when he's all sweaty but hot toys just missed the mark. I think the bank robber sculpt has the best hair.

I agree the hair is too short, I think it is because both sculpts are based on the interrogation scene but you think the missed the mark on that hair style as well? I just wish they based the normal sculpt on the mob scene. :mad: , that way we would be able to see if the hair is throwing off the likeness. :dunno

Aside from the runny make-up under the eyes which is always going to be an issue with me because I HATE the teardrop look everyone is obsessed with, I think it's just about as close to perfect as you're going to get at this scale.

It's basically an improved BR sculpt with PERS, in my eyes. I like the expression, I think especially viewed from the sculpt's right side, it's dead-on. The paint is great, easily HT's best Joker paint yet, aside from those friggin' tears. Honestly, with Joker sculpts you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. There's not a single 3D sculpt that is ever going to look 100% like he did in the movie because that son of a ***** changed facial expressions every .0007 seconds, and a static sculpt just is never going to look right to anyone's eyes. Even Adam's, while they had great Ledger likenesses, had issues balancing that and his performance as Joker. The one thing this sculpt has over every other one I've seen in this scale is personality and life. It's not drab, dour or expressionless, it gives you options, and it captures the character which is the most important thing to me.

So, in short, I love the sculpt. And I was a harsh critic of it from early pictures.

I love what you wrote here.

Mainly because your point speaks volumes about HTs artistic choices with their sculpts based on actors. I have every reason to believe that the artists/sculptors over at HT are more than capable of making their sculpts look exactly like the actor, down to every minute detail that makes them distinguishable or unique. However, just because they can, they dont.

I'm under the belief that they choose to pretty them up and make a romantically realistic version of the actors. They try to diminish what they see as flaws, and on top of that, they give their pieces a face/expression that, believe it or not, WILL have a different expression/mood depending on the angle and light. The most apparent case is with the dx12 Bruce Wayne sculpt. If you look at it from a certain angle, he looks like he's about to say something of importance, another angle he looks troubled, or reflecting on his past, another view he looks angry.

He's not the only sculpt that is capable of this, there are quite a few...like tony stark, Royce from predators, blade, leonidas and a few others that escape me for the moment. These are non pers as well, which is a testament to their abilities. Granted, not all sculpts are a home run, as I think those were handed off to their junior sculptors...but the seniors, such as yulli, have honed their skills. She even mentioned that not only capturing the likeness was important to her, but giving them life was important as well.

Adams joker is nice, but like mag and crow have mentioned before, it's either scene specific or "lifeless". It sure as hell looks lifelike, but to them and myself, it looks like Heath doing make up test in the art department. In other words, it looks like Heath playing the joker, rather than joker being played by Heath...if that makes any sense.

With the dx11, various angles can give off different moods, thus making the sculpt come to life.

Everyone has different tastes and everyone has a favorite facial expression from heaths portrayal of joker. I bet there are some that are disappointed HT didnt sculpt his "not sure if serious" face in the wayne penthouse scene. you cant please everyone. I like this joker and will make a great companion piece to the OG dx01. That one sure as hell looks like Heath as joker, and his expression is exact to the hospital scene and burning mountain of money scene, so I'm confused as to how some here feel that one is off in light of this newest release.

That was a mouthful. But those are my two cents.

I love what you wrote here.

Mainly because your point speaks volumes about HTs artistic choices with their sculpts based on actors. I have every reason to believe that the artists/sculptors over at HT are more than capable of making their sculpts look exactly like the actor, down to every minute detail that makes them distinguishable or unique. However, just because they can, they dont.

:lecture
I disagree, IMO they can't. The Joker has been released 4 times now and only now is starting to look like the character from the movie! The Bank Robber one looked like Heath only on certain angles.

I'm under the belief that they choose to pretty them up and make a romantically realistic version of the actors. They try to diminish what they see as flaws, and on top of that, they give their pieces a face/expression that, believe it or not, WILL have a different expression/mood depending on the angle and light. She even mentioned that not only capturing the likeness was important to her, but giving them life was important as well.

You could be right about that but IMO they choose to do that because they are unable to sculpt the character some of the time.

I like this joker and will make a great companion piece to the OG dx01.

I am sure a lot of people feel that way. :wink1:

Last edited:
:lecture
I disagree, IMO they can't. The Joker has been released 4 times now and only now is starting to look like the character from the movie! The Bank Robber one looked like Heath only on certain angles.

BRJ looks like Heath, and That was yullis second attempt at the character. In fact, some here even prefer it over the dx01. Possibly becuase that face/expression is close to a preferred look from the movie, whereas the dx expression came from another and didnt quite jive with BRJ fans.

I think the sculptors look at various angles from film stills and production shots, take bits and pieces from them and pour them into the final sculpt, which is what makes it possible for the sculpt to express different moods from different angles. And that is probably why you only see Heath from certain angles.

There have been some really good points mentioned here but I think the main thing Hot Toys definitely tries to give us the character and not the actor... this is everytime.

I don't know why some folk have such a hard time accepting this as they are, it's still a million times better than anything we'd have gotten 10 years ago and 10 years from we get something even better.

So it is what it is right now... I do not like and have posted this many man many pages back... the hair, it's all wrong, it's not even scene specific to any point at all including the interrogation scene... it wouldn't have killed them to give out swapable hair for the PERS head, heck Alice had it for no reason really at all.

I would have preferred rooted honestly...

Before I end my rambled, another figure that is a character likeness not an actors is the new battle damaged T-800, figure looks great but when you see the face it looks off because it's sculpted with the endo parts under the skin and not as if it was a facial prosthetic that Arnie wore on top of his face... character not actor.

M.

A few regular ***, non-shiny natural light pics of the PERS sculpt I got today. Everything is DX01 except the head. Sculpt is great in person.

joker1-5.jpg

joker2-4.jpg

joker3-4.jpg

joker4-2.jpg

That third pic is so " what's the time?" sequence. Brilliant likeness from that angle:)

BRJ looks like Heath, and That was yullis second attempt at the character.

Well that's your opinion but I disagree, These are the only pictures where I think it only looks like Heath.

2ffffwf9_zpsa01d9747.jpg

20081014011535311_jpg-1_zpse8b82e7f.jpg

This is not because of Hong's paint Job as I think when that is facing front on it looks nothing like Heath.

Hongs front on.

JOKER-HONG-02_zpsb26c43a9.jpg

The face looks a bit long and the jaw is not correct like the DX01 as you can see below.

jokecomp.jpg

In fact, some here even prefer it over the dx01. Possibly becuase that face/expression is close to a preferred look from the movie, whereas the dx expression came from another and didnt quite jive with BRJ fans.

Actually most prefer it over the DX01 and it is because IMO the Bank Robber looks more like Heath at certain angles whereas DX01 despite the accurate jaw looks like a cartoon version of him as many on here have said regardless of angles. I can not see one angle where it looks like Heath!

I think the sculptors look at various angles from film stills and production shots, take bits and pieces from them and pour them into the final sculpt, which is what makes it possible for the sculpt to express different moods from different angles. And that is probably why you only see Heath from certain angles.

Sorry not buying that excuse for poor likeness on some angles and great likeness on others :rolleyes:

There have been some really good points mentioned here but I think the main thing Hot Toys definitely tries to give us the character and not the actor... this is everytime.

I would not say every time and besides this, the character should look like the actor as these are realistic toys meant for adults not kids.

I don't know why some folk have such a hard time accepting this as they are, it's still a million times better than anything we'd have gotten 10 years ago and 10 years from we get something even better.

This is because anyone can sculpt a character from movies, for example kid's batman TDKRs toys. As adult collectors we actually want to see a sculpt that does not look toyish but looks like we have a miniature version of the actual actor playing the character from the film!

So it is what it is right now... I do not like and have posted this many man many pages back... the hair, it's all wrong, it's not even scene specific to any point at all including the interrogation scene... it wouldn't have killed them to give out swapable hair for the PERS head, heck Alice had it for no reason really at all.

I would have preferred rooted honestly... M.

I agree with those points.

joker3-4.jpg

:thud:

Something about this angle is spot-on.

From the fat of the neck, to how the lips and chin area is painted... guh, so good.

8000+ posts into a DC thread and my sense of anticipation for this figure, my enjoyment of this hobby and my interest in this board hasn't diminished one iota.

Is this a record?

Back