Hot Toys - MMS DX 01- The Dark Knight - The Joker spec and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anybody post a tutorial or a list of materials I would need to dye the inner coat the right color?

I'm sure blakus939 won't mind if I repost this...he helped me with mine. :yess:

first get it all stripped and wait for it to dry. You need some RIT denim blue dye. Grab a jug about as tall and wide as your hand, or about that same capacity and fill it nearly to the top, leaving about a pinky finger distance to the top of the jug. Fill it with very hot water, not from a kettle, or boiling water. But as hot as the regular sink tap will go (should be too hot to touch, still). Then with the same hot water (under the tap this is) wet the bleached/stripped out blazer thoroughly and then squeeze it out dry (while still leaving it damp) and put it aside. Grab some salt (just regular table stuff) and add it to the jug. I usually just shake my shaker over it for about 3 seconds, just a little decent pinch of salt. Then grab a little spoon (teaspoon is it, I can't remember?) and nearly fill the whole thing up with some of the dye. Don't lump it on and make a big mound of it, but just 4/5ths of one teaspoon, flat looking, maybe the tiniest raised portion on it, and throw that into the big jug. Stir it up for about 30 seconds, then grab your damp blazer and throw it in. Just keep agitating it with the spoon under the water, and stirring it. About 15-20 mins, or sometimes up to an hour. Push it under the water, stir etc just keep it moving. The dye will recommend you dye it 3 shades darker than you want it to be in the end. This is total BS, you'll have to get it literally about 10 shades darker, they dry up very light if you don't do them dark. I get mine REALLY dark blue, almost a black shade at a quick glance. Then you take it out and turn the tap on to get some hot water (quite hot, but you should still be able to hold your hand under it) and start very gently just holding it and washing the dye out under there. Gradually get it warmer, and then to just cold water (about 10-15 seconds from when you start washing it until you're finished). Just throw it under there and gently add in the cold over that period. Water should be running clear by that time, then just give it a very delicate squish in your hand to get the excess water out and place it on a newspaper stack to dry. Not in sunlight, and not forced drying. Just sit it inside somewhere in ambient temp and wait a few hours or overnight for it to dry. Voila, it will lighten up to the perfect purplish, lightish blue, greyish color

You'll need to strip the color out of the blazer with Rit fabric color remover. Then follow the directions above. I ended up trying this a few times with a few different dyes (I think the one I settled on was "evening blue") but I still may try it again because the thing kept getting lighter as it dried. :slap

Nah man, go for it :) It's really just trial and error but to get the best spot on colour, I've found you have to dye it with the RIT, wait for it to dry, then dye it again with Dylon to get the exact movie colour. Both denim blues from each brand

Over $200 for any figure is ridiculous to me. OC Batman for example... would really love him... but not for $300.

I know! Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that! The quality, likeness, and accessories do not amount to that much money. Nowhere near it.

What a figure is worth is a very subjective thing. If money was no object and you really wanted something, you wouldn't care if "the quality, likeness, and accessories do not amount to that much money."

I'm not someone who can say that money is no object as I carefully watch funds. But I'm spending more than $200 per figure on two customs I'm working on right now because I really want them. They mean a lot to me, and the will be cherished long term.

If someone really really wanted a DX01 they will pay over $200 for it, if they have the funds available.

This is true.

However there are gonna by lots of people willing to pay $250+ for a DX01. Who are we to say it's not "worth" that. :huh

Agree that the value of a figure is subjective. I am a huge Batman fan, and the Joker is my favorite villain. If I had just gotten into the hobby, I would NEED the DX Joker in my collection. I would pay $250 for him.

Other figures you may want, but aren't willing to shell out that kind of cash. I really wanted a Sideshow Snake Eyes for example, I love the character, but he doesn't hold the same level of value to me. I would not pay $250 for him, and I watched several auctions end, exclusive and regular, for around that price. I pretty much decided I would never own SE because of the market price, something I would not have been able to convince myself of with the Joker. However, I ended up finding a Sideshow Exclusive SE for $140 shipped on another forum. I barely paid over retail, and I got the exclusive.

So basically, at this point there are two choices for those who don't have the DX Joker. Cough up the $250, or decide you can live without him, but monitor every toy board you're a member of and hope that someone decides to dish one off cheap.

I was going to get another one and buy an interrogation scene, but I don't have the money right now to buy multiples....:eek:

Back