Hot Toys - MMS 95 - Terminator Salvation - John Connor- spec + hi-res pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Terminator: Salvation-John Connor- spec + hi-res pics

The only time I've seen Bale with that thick a beard in anything Terminator related was at a film premiere.

Terminator%20Salvation.jpg

But I think I'm okay with it. At least, I'll wait until it reaches my hands until I judge further.

Well like I said, at least it seems to be done nicely, even if it seems wrong for the character.

That makes it livable, if it were sloppy or something, then it'd be bothersome for me.

Yes, it's definitely applied well. I just find it odd that JC Hong, the guy in charge of paint (and who painted the Connor prototype) was said - in a recent newsletter - to have supervised the repaint of the new Connor heads but that somehow resulted in a thicker chin strap beard where the proto did not have one.

Yes, but for the sake of public relations, he only had to be involved in some capacity to drop his name in, which would give some calm to folks because they know his name means something to fans.

The extent of his involvement could have been changing type of paint or teaching a new way to apply it to compensate for whatever went wrong the first time.

It could also be that some image HT has access to lead them to think he has a beard that heavy.

There's much we don't know, but just because the paint doesn't seem right, doesn't mean JC wasn't involved.

So any way you want to look at it, HT was negligent. None of that behind the scenes stuff really matters to me. What it results in is all that matters at the end of the day. I'm sorry to say, but HT has been slipping a lot these days and the attitude towards it is to let them slide with a few errant remarks and raps on the knuckles -- because really, we'll buy it anyway.

I'm just not going to call them out for something I can't prove or disprove.

Strong theory is, the painters just screwed up and went to dark with the beard, and that's pretty logical.

Could also be said they went off a reference image that suggested it should look like that, or they got WB to approve it and WB wanted it that way. Also logical.

With so little fact, any sound theory could be reality, or could not.

I'm all for calling out someone when something is unquestionably at fault and to be called out.

If John's hair color was blonde, that's something I'd call them outright for because it'd be unquestionably wrong, nothing could ever be said to defend that.

Going a little too dark on hair paint apps, there could be any reason for that, so I won't tear into them for it.

The last few HT figures I've gotten were Dutch and Predator. Other than Dutch suffering the neck issue, which is a problem for the muscle body figures in general, just more apparent with him, I thought both figures turned out fantastic, up to HT's quality bar, no complaints. I hear rumblings about how some of their other recent releases aren't up to par, I haven't gotten them so I can't say first hand.

That's a fair assessment. I had my preorder filled before we even saw the first initial production batches. They swung and missed the first time, I don't think it's unreasonable to be a bit sharp with them if they mess anything up the second time around. Funny thing is, one of the few things they got right with the first batch of Connor portraits was the shading of the beard! :lol

The mind boggles to think of the reasons why. But you're right, we don't know. However, I'm not going to humour the whole WB approval or poor reference material angle, it just doesn't seem likely.

Well, the only reason I wonder about other factors is, how can you go from the first production run style with the facial hair to the final version, it's just baffling. From what I see in images, there is no chin strap at all on the first run, let alone light or dark. It looks added to the new version, and I just wonder why. Sharpening the detailing on the eyes, hair, eyebrows and skin makes sense, but the thickening of the beard, it strikes me more as intended by the painters than error. Dutch's paint apps are amazing, the camo paint, the beard stubble. I can't imagine if HT wanted to make the chin strap a stubble tone instead of full hair darkeness, they couldn't do it, they've demonstrated they can, so from my experience, the end result Connor paint job was chosen to be the way it is, and I'm quite curious why.

I don't see why you can't hotlink them.

w199741444.jpg

w199741451.jpg

Still darker than should be, but at least looks better than the Toy World. I think the chin strap is going to be a roll of the dice, do you receive a darker or lighter one. None will be proto/first run good, but some are definitely going to be better than others. Subtle things show variation more because of the hand painting than the bigger stuff. I noticed a number of variations to the Joker BR heads in the small detailings of his lip and eye makeup.

Well, aside from the beard the rest of the paint apps are perfect i.e. skin tones and the like. I really do hope they utilize this material for upcoming releases.

The outfit turned out very nice. The Goodshipped pics represent as straight-out-of-the-box as you can get, and I can't find any fault with it (at least, from an eyes-on impression).

The revised head looks so much better than, cant wait to get mine.

I think the newly painted head looks fantastic. but I do see some issues with paint apps on the beard. some look way darker than others. But it still doesnt bother me, cant wait to have this one arrive at my doorstep!

I don't see why you can't hotlink them.

w199741444.jpg

w199741451.jpg

Still darker than should be, but at least looks better than the Toy World. I think the chin strap is going to be a roll of the dice, do you receive a darker or lighter one. None will be proto/first run good, but some are definitely going to be better than others. Subtle things show variation more because of the hand painting than the bigger stuff. I noticed a number of variations to the Joker BR heads in the small detailings of his lip and eye makeup.

Discrepancies aside, is it me or does the paint application look a little like EB's? Very textural with subtle variation of color. I was just looking at the comparison of EB's Godfather with HT's. This one looks more like EB painted it.

Discrepancies aside, is it me or does the paint application look a little like EB's? Very textural with subtle variation of color. I was just looking at the comparison of EB's Godfather with HT's. This one looks more like EB painted it.

It looks like any other nicely done HT head to me, I'd have to see it in person to really tell compared to my other HT figures.

It's possible that in the competition with EB, perhaps this new head casting material is what, or an approximation of what, EB uses and such material allows them to match the paint applications.

This will be my first true human head. I have nothing but character stuff right now. My head comparisons have been Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark and they were pretty bland when it comes to paint apps. I wish some one would post a straight on shot of the face.

This will be my first true human head. I have nothing but character stuff right now. My head comparisons have been Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark and they were pretty bland when it comes to paint apps. I wish some one would post a straight on shot of the face.

The Wayne portraits are HT's standard, I don't know about the Stark head.

w199741417.jpg

I thought the Dark Knight Wayne head was quite good but again my only human head from Hot Toys.
If This one is as good as Wayne then I'll be happy.

I know what you mean. The variance in skin tone is much more noticeable than their previous releases this year. It is almost Enterbay quality paint app. I am pumped.

Hmmm i was tempted to get this and Marcus, but i may hold off now. Just not digging the dark thick beardage, and couldnt be assed organising a repaint

Back