1/6 Hot Toys -MMS 517- Episode VI ROTJ Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure (DELUXE VERSION)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's doing a gang sign too.

Good call, I thought he was showing how many times he made out with his sister.

Or how many favors he owes Han.

Or he's about to adopt Obi-Wan's combat stance (now with finger-spreading action!)

obi-wan-with-lightsaber-revenge-sith.jpg

Don't know if this is been brought up already, probably has since we're 27 pages deep at this point..and I just found out about this release....but I totally don't get why Keyboard Warriors and others find this to be a rude move on Hot Toys part. My definitive Jedi Luke is with the cloak on. This one doesn't come with that, so it's not the definitive Jedi Luke. Sure, if I looked in my crystal ball, I could have just purchased the cloak and then bought this figure; but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Not to mention, this one is going to be more expensive. I think this is an awesome release; considering we get more crap with it than what was expected.

The original ROTJ Luke ordered via Popcultcha still hasn’t arrived. I almost considered cancelling it in favor of this Deluxe over the weekend but I think I’m going to stick with the first release. The Deluxe is very cool but Luke looking calm and composed with in his Jedi robe is ROTJ Luke to me.

Don’t get the beef with this release.

Anyone expecting a single figure to cover all of Luke’s costume options in ROTJ was dreaming. The first release included everything for his ‘Jedi’ look which is all most collectors will want.

These second releases are for the less popular Endor look, and for the OT obsessive there is the deleted scene option. Plus, the Endor figure had been teased long before the first figure was released, so we all knew it was coming.

At the end of the day we need Hot Toys to make money. Star Wars merchandise has been on the slide, and I expect they took a hit on the ST figures. If we want figures like the DS Trooper and Range Trooper, we need HT to have confidence in Star Wars. Plus, if HT wanted to maximize sales they would have released Endor first and then the Jedi version.

I am very happy with the first release, and was going to stick to it. However, the addition of the deleted scenes outfit has tipped me into ordering the deluxe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plus, the Endor figure had been teased long before the first figure was released, so we all knew it was coming.
Exactly! That's why I TOTALLY don't understand all the unwarranted hate for this release (with even more options than expected), when no one complained before.

No hate at all. I just can't justify another 250 € only for the Endor gear and an alternative HS and hair cut personally. Although I was really hoping they would release those as an accessory pack like Iron Man Mark 50.

For people who skipped the first release, it's a pity that they still don't get the complete package as the Jedi tunic and handcuff are missing with this one (you'll have to hunt down those seperately).

For completists this is of course a welcome release :)

Well, as nice as it would've been to get all of this in a Deluxe with the first version, I'm not opposed to getting a second one. The fact is if I got one figure with all these accessories I'd never use / display them. The camo and the desert scarf would likely just sit in the box. But having two bodies and two (potentially three if you buy another body and some under clothes) Lukes means I can display two/three more Lukes in various scenes. If you just want one RotJ Luke then get the first release, that'll satisfy your needs, but for those of us who really like Luke or are bigger collectors having multiples is great--now I can have regular RotJ displayed with Vader and an Endor Luke hopefully eventually displayed with Endor Leia.

And that's the one thing that puts me the most on the fence about this--Endor Luke is awful lonely. If Endor Leia is confirmed and comes in a similar set (Endor garb, full Alliance uniform underneath, braided hair sculpt and maybe her Hoth Escape boots and matching deleted scene desert clothes) then this would be an easy buy. I mean, I already pre-ordered it so there's that. But I'll be really disappointed if that Endor Leia takes another year to drop.

Exactly! That's why I TOTALLY don't understand all the unwarranted hate for this release (with even more options than expected), when no one complained before.

Folks, its about choice. For the billionth time. We were not given the option to have the choice.

That, from a retailer, who knew there would be a choice, is the problem.

What I see is the people who don’t care about about the lack of choice are those who seem to buy every version of a figure and display multiple ones. Well , you collectors obviously do not care about choice because you buy up everything they throw at you.

The rest of us feel, that the way they choose to unveil the Jedi Luke figure was deceptive. Its not about “which is better” its about the fact that the second release was not what they previewed and included a-lot more than the first release. And options the buyer may have preferred had they KNOWN about it. HT clearly knew what they would release. So why not show both options. Its Sith Anakin all over again.

Now , if your brain cannot comprehend this simple fact, I am very sorry.

Ask yourself this simple question, why did HT not show Endor Luke with all the included items at the same time ask Jedi Luke? So consumers, who would buy one , NOT both, could decide.

Only possible answers for defense at that point is....

1. You work for SSC or HT or are apologist

2. Your a person who buys every iteration of a figure regardless of cost.

3 You are being obtuse and argumentative for the sake of it.

When a company makes the decision to be deceptive to there dedicated , and niche fan base, for the sake of a double sale attempt, they are alienating them.

And its a shame they do.

I for one have decided not to pre order anything again from HT. I did the same for SSC a while back for their quality issues. HT just earned it for not respecting the choice of the consumer.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Folks, its about choice. For the billionth time. We were not given the option to have the choice.

That, from a retailer, who knew there would be a choice, is the problem.

What I see is the people who don’t care about about the lack of choice are those who seem to buy every version of a figure and display multiple ones. Well , you collectors obviously do not care about choice because you buy up everything they throw at you.

The rest of us feel, that the way they choose to unveil the Jedi Luke figure was deceptive. Its not about “which is better” its about the fact that the second release was not what they previewed and included a-lot more than the first release. And options the buyer may have preferred had they KNOWN about it. HT clearly knew what they would release. So why not show both options. Its Sith Anakin all over again.

Now , if your brain cannot comprehend this simple fact, I am very sorry.

Ask yourself this simple question, why did HT not show Endor Luke with all the included items at the same time ask Jedi Luke? So consumers, who would buy one , NOT both, could decide.

Only possible answers for defense at that point is....

1. You work for SSC or HT or are apologist

2. Your a person who buys every iteration of a figure regardless of cost.

3 You are being obtuse and argumentative for the sake of it.

When a company makes the decision to be deceptive to there dedicated , and niche fan base, for the sake of a double sale attempt, they are alienating them.

And its a shame they do.

I for one have decided not to pre order anything again from HT. I did the same for SSC a while back for their quality issues. HT just earned it for not respecting the choice of the consumer.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Exactly. But you may be wasting your breath, the people who keep popping up and making the "I don't understand the beef" comments clearly aren't understanding, or at least taking the time to understand, these posts.

Hot toys did NOT preview this deluxe figure. Had they done so they would not have sold as many original jedi luke figures. They knew this, so took what looks to be an underhand approach. That approach does a disservice to their customers. It's a risky approach as it alienates people.

Whether you care or not about that is irrelevant, but it can't be that difficult to empathise that others might be aggrieved. If you are going to buy multiples jedi lukes, of course you wouldn't care, but if you are only going to buy one, or can only afford to buy one, it would have been more customer focussed of hot toys to give the options to people from the start rather than carrying out what amounts to a sales trick.

Personally, as with the Anakin figure, I much prefer the first release, but I really dont find it difficult to see other people's point of view on this.

Everyone seems to be operating on the basis that HT knew about this deluxe version when they released Jedi Luke. Jedi Luke was put up for pre-order SEVENTEEN months ago.

As we know, preview doesn’t guarantee release. It may be that sales of Jedi Luke were very strong, and as a result an Endor release AND a deluxe release has been green lighted. I highly doubt HT were planning to release a Sandstorm option initially.

And to be fair to HT, they have tried to preserve the integrity of first release by ensuring that it has unique and important features like the Jedi cloak.

I just don’t see this as another Death Trooper situation, which was a bit rediculous. And as for Sith Anakin, I’m sorry but that was obvious, and SS did exactly the same.

I think, to avoid on criticism, in retrospect they shouldn't have included the original headsculpt (albeit with different eye direction) and the palace blaster. It's those items that massively increase the degree of overlap with the first release. Leave them out and I think a lot of the issue goes away.

Anyone expecting a single figure to cover all of Luke’s costume options in ROTJ was dreaming. The first release included everything for his ‘Jedi’ look which is all most collectors will want.

These second releases are for the less popular Endor look, and for the OT obsessive there is the deleted scene option.

Yeah I think that's a good way to look at it. I definitely understand the anger and frustration from those who would have rather bought the Deluxe set up front, but for me the first release has his more important and iconic ROTJ looks, and is the one I likely would have opted for anyway. And then I always figured I would need a second figure for his Endor look anyway.

I think at the end of the day the two preferred versions varies for everybody. Some people really love the DSII look, not really interested in that personally and haven't set up my ROTJ Luke like that in the months that I've had it. For me it's the tunic look from the barge and then the Endor gear that I want most of all. But, I won't pass up other available options in terms of accessories, and a lot of other folks are like me -- never would have cared about the sandstorm gear, but since it's available it'd be nice to have.

Main point is they should have just released 2 or 3 versions from the outset so people could decide what they want. One version could have had everything and either had two bodies like the Bespin version, or one body, but with every possible option to avoid all the complaining that we're seeing.

Easy to picture what that deluxe version should have been (has everything), but what the basic version should have been in that scenario would likely have been totally divisive as well, as invariably different people would have wanted different items from the deluxe for their ideal basic version.

Yeah I think that's a good way to look at it. I definitely understand the anger and frustration from those who would have rather bought the Deluxe set up front, but for me the first release has his more important and iconic ROTJ looks, and is the one I likely would have opted for anyway. And then I always figured I would need a second figure for his Endor look anyway.

:exactly:

I definitely understand the exasperation from those who wanted RotJ Luke to be a complete set from the start and ended up buying the MMS429 release because based on what HT was showing, it seemed that they were going to go the route of making RotJ Luke a two figure release (MMS429 and Endor); only to find out that they out of nowhere release a complete full set in conjunction with Endor Luke that covers pretty much all looks in the film for only $50 more than MMS429. However, like I've stated before, I personally think four different outfits is a bit much for one figure and if you were genuinely interested in all of his looks from the film, think you would need at least two figures anyway.

For me personally, I'm glad they did MMS429 because that $229 figure covers all of what I was interested in as far as RotJ Luke goes. If they made RotJ Luke solely a complete set right from the start, I would have been one of the ones who wouldn't have been happy with that, because it would have been a bummer to have to pay close to $300 just to get a RotJ Luke, when almost half of the stuff that it comes with I have no interest in.

Like PopNFresh mentioned earlier in the MMS429 thread, they probably should have done this like the Darth Maul and Emperor releases, where you all at the same time release the MMS429 figure, Endor Luke, and the deluxe set, each set containing something that the other ones don't have, and just let people pay for what they want.

Or they could have just omitted the deluxe set and kept RotJ Luke at a two figure release, like what they were leading people to believe to begin with. Even if Endor Luke went up for PO now as he did, a year later than MMS429, I don't think most people would be complaining because Endor Luke was already being teased when MMS429 went up for PO.

If anything, by getting the deluxe I can make this the Jedi Luke and use my current Jedi Luke and make it the Endor Luke , that way I can have a Endor Luke displayed on my shelf as well without worrying about switching outfits

Don’t know why people want to sell their current HT Jedi Lukes :lecture

Back