1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And some people wonder why others complain about this forum....

Dave, I constantly defend the forum and its members on Facebook, trust me when I tell you, this is NOT what people complain about. If you ever want an honest POV about the kinds of things I've seen people complaining about, let me know.

Last edited:
Darklord Dave said:
And some people wonder why others complain about this forum....

This looks to me like a great figure - perhaps the sculpt could be sharper, but overall seems to be a winner.

When the last few pages is just strait up ripping on the figure who wants to venture into a thread to argue they like it ? :dunno I love getting shot at know it's not fun and pointless not trying to convince anyone to buy. I get it everyone has same right to love or hate but not going to stick around a bunch of hater's and argue. I'll be back when reviews n love come's back usually when figure starts shipping people turn into dolphins and flip OMG i gotta have him and mod to my liking or better in hand.

Been there, done that.

I still really like Sideshow's Snake Plissken. It's in the eye of the beholder.

But so far, with Obi-Wan, my initial observations still stand after looking at a multitude of photos in varying lighting conditions. I just don't see Alec in the sculpt, and the inner robe is too thin. And judging by the last dozen pages, I'm not alone.

And if Dave took one of the quotes in context he would see that it was an ironic reference to Sideshow's tendency to make the eyes wider!

An alternative to SSF is OSW where everybody loves everything. :inlove :wink1:

It's the same 2 or 3 people over and over hating no big deal really LOL.

Not sure why people who can clearly see this sculpt doesn't look like Alec Guinness, but think it's a fine sculpt of "someone" can be considered hating.

Maybe we are looking at this the wrong way. Maybe Richard Chamberlain is playing the spirit of Obi-Wan in TFA and they wanted this figure to resemble a blend of him and Guinness?

I never realized people had such love for Sir Alec Guinness. Everyone's acting like they screwed up a 1/6 scale Jesus Christ figure or something. :p

I think it looks fine (from the pics anyway) and is nowhere near the abomination most are portraying it as. How many Hot Toys headsculpts have truly been dead on anyway? A handful at most.

I like this sculpt way more than the Han Solo sculpt. Whoever this guy is, he means business.

Whoever the Han Solo sculpt is, he's wondering if he should get the Lilac or the Lavender scented candles. And he really can't decide, so he's gonna get them both. But he really just wanted the Lavender. :(

Maybe Richard Chamberlain is playing the spirit of Obi-Wan in TFA and they wanted this figure to resemble a blend of him and Guinness?

Shouldn't they have cast him out of translucent blue plastic? Maybe adding some sparkles into the mix? Or do we have to send in a few proofs of purchase and another $220 for that? ;)

I never realized people had such love for Sir Alec Guinness. Everyone's acting like they screwed up a 1/6 scale Jesus Christ figure or something. :p

Sir Alec was one of the finest actors of all time. The chances of another 1/6 Alec Obi-Wan anytime soon are slim (as opposed to a multitude of Fords or Hamills).

Would have liked to see a figure that did him far more justice.

This is the LAST Sir Alec Guinness 1/6th figure from Star Wars that will be produced by HOT TOYS and thus likely by anyone for many years to come.

The next time a high-end 1/6th Guinness/Kenobi comes to light, you may very well have outgrown the hobby.

Do you really want to pass this up? DO YOU!?

can't believe you guys think the head is faulty
well, I'm glad I PO'd this, can't wait to get it in-hand

Sir Alec was one of the finest actors of all time. The chances of another 1/6 Alec Obi-Wan anytime soon are slim (as opposed to a multitude of Fords or Hamills).

Would have liked to see a figure that did him far more justice.

:goodpost:

This is the LAST Sir Alec Guinness 1/6th figure from Star Wars that will be produced by HOT TOYS and thus likely by anyone for many years to come.

The next time a high-end 1/6th Guinness/Kenobi comes to light, you may very well have outgrown the hobby.

Do you really want to pass this up? DO YOU!?

One of the reasons I will keep my PO....

Would not be surprised to see another "Old Ben" by Hot Toys..... except it would be Ewan's take on Old Ben...

I think the Star Wars forum here would be a little less off-putting if people could manage to be a little less hyperbolic.

The number of times I've seen the phrase "this looks nothing like so-and-so" or "there's no resemblance to the actor at all!" is a little bit silly. I guarantee that if you took this Obi-Wan headsculpt, (or the Han or whoever) to a convention, set it on a table and asked passers-by "can you tell me who this is?" they wouldn't have any trouble identifying the character. Nobody would look at this Obi-Wan and say "uh.. Colonel Sanders?"

So there is a resemblance. Now, you can certainly argue that the resemblance -to-cost ratio is not quite close enough for you, and that it could be improved.

But I see people here denouncing the idea that a figure has ANY redeeming qualities for reasons like "Vader's dome is 00.212mm off scale! This figure is garbage !" and, speaking personally, it can be a real detriment to any desire to join in a discussion here if you don't share those particular criticisms.

The bottom line is that if you don't like a product , the most powerful statement you can make is to not purchase it. But pushing past "It's close, but they didn't quite capture the likeness perfectly" into "this is laughably horrible, what a pile of ****!" can only be viewed as a need to reinforce that your choice (not to purchase it) is the right choice. But consequently, that simultaneously sends the message that anyone that does choose to purchase it is wrong /stupid for doing so.

Back