1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[...]ANH Obi-Wan was very fatherly, HT Obi-Wan looks like he had the high ground and just cut off Anakin's legs and left him to die on the side of a volcano. ...

Obi Wan would never...oh. :confused:

I remember telling my older sister Vader's back story when I was a kid. I don't know where I heard it, but it got around that Obi Wan kicked Vader into a pit of lava in battle. I still remember her shocked look as she said "Ben Kenobi would never do that!" :lol

I agree with your sister, but that is what happens when someone like Lucas surrounds himself with "yes" men... Killer Kenobi, A cartoon rabbit stepping in the Bantha pudu, and midichlorians...

Obi Wan would never...oh. :confused:

I remember telling my older sister Vader's back story when I was a kid. I don't know where I heard it, but it got around that Obi Wan kicked Vader into a pit of lava in battle. I still remember her shocked look as she said "Ben Kenobi would never do that!" :lol

I think the Star Wars forum here would be a little less off-putting if people could manage to be a little less hyperbolic.

The number of times I've seen the phrase "this looks nothing like so-and-so" or "there's no resemblance to the actor at all!" is a little bit silly. I guarantee that if you took this Obi-Wan headsculpt, (or the Han or whoever) to a convention, set it on a table and asked passers-by "can you tell me who this is?" they wouldn't have any trouble identifying the character. Nobody would look at this Obi-Wan and say "uh.. Colonel Sanders?"

So there is a resemblance. Now, you can certainly argue that the resemblance -to-cost ratio is not quite close enough for you, and that it could be improved.

But I see people here denouncing the idea that a figure has ANY redeeming qualities for reasons like "Vader's dome is 00.212mm off scale! This figure is garbage !" and, speaking personally, it can be a real detriment to any desire to join in a discussion here if you don't share those particular criticisms.

The bottom line is that if you don't like a product , the most powerful statement you can make is to not purchase it. But pushing past "It's close, but they didn't quite capture the likeness perfectly" into "this is laughably horrible, what a pile of ****!" can only be viewed as a need to reinforce that your choice (not to purchase it) is the right choice. But consequently, that simultaneously sends the message that anyone that does choose to purchase it is wrong /stupid for doing so.

I think one could just as easily argue that the people getting seriously upset and offended over the criticism and goofy jokes aimed at a 12 inch doll are the ones being a bit silly here. :dunno

Everyone here is a huge fan of the hobby, and we routinely spend a TON of money for these figures every year, so I think we're justified in expressing our frustration if something appears to be a disappointment or doesn't live up to the high quality of other figures we've seen (a frustration which is usually expressed in a pretty benign and humorous way, I'd say).

Not to mention that just because you and others happen to see a fantastic looking figure doesn't mean everyone else is obligated to see it that way. Or that those who don't are all just "piling on" or acting as some ridiculous "hive mind." Or don't have a right to hang around in a thread and express that opinion if they want to.

:rotfl Just messing around, I'm getting it because HT will never do another Ben.

Hey coco, are you -- being the wall display King of Figures -- getting the MF cockpit? That is the ultimate wall display IMO.

Exactly. They'll never do another and I gots to have me an Old Ben on the shelf.

Thanks for the compliment! I've got no plans to get it. I like the idea of it but I just have no interest in buying it.

The number of times I've seen the phrase "this looks nothing like so-and-so" or "there's no resemblance to the actor at all!" is a little bit silly. I guarantee that if you took this Obi-Wan to a convention, set him on a table and asked passers-by "can you tell me who this is?" they wouldn't have any trouble identifying the character. Nobody would look at this Obi-Wan and say "uh.. Colonel Sanders?" So there is a resemblance.

cb-4.jpg

Talibane.... is that you?

He's missing the enormous stitching on the collar. And the see-thru Queen's robe.

Yup. And never been mistaken for Colonel Sanders either. It's always Ben, even without the robes.:lol

The HT Ben headsculpt looks great:

(1) in darkly lit/moody photos
(2) with hood up overhanging face slightly
(3) in harsh, contrasty lighting from above
(4) in ultra close-up, showing the "pores and paint" ultra-realism

Someone needs to do the HT Ben head photoshopped on a generic business suit body to really test the recognizable aspect. Let's call it the reverse "man-in-a-suit" test.

Everyone knows that older Joseph Gordon-Levitt looks exactly life like Bruce Willis. This sculpt doesn't look like Bruce Willis, therefore you're wrong.

Lol I see what I se man. It's the eyes. I'd do a side by side comparison of this and the DKR spotlight sculpt. But I can't be bothered :lol

is anybody excited for this figure in here anymore? i can't wait for friday, but at this rate i doubt i'll be posting pics in here

Friday?

I am looking forward to this figure as I plan to upgrade my Sideshow versions from ANH. I have limited my 1/6 collection to "Classic" Star Wars, primarily A New Hope. I debated keeping my sideshow Ben, I think the sculpt looks good, but the poor paint app will stand out when I pose him next to the newer Hot Toy figures. I also think the Hot Toys body may be easier to get in a more natural pose.

Anyway, I am not jumping to any conclusions about anything until I begin to see some in hand pictures. Comparison shots with Sideshow would be great to see too. I don't let the extreme haters on one end or the extreme Kool-Aid drinkers on the other sway me too much. I like to hear what everyone says, see as many pictures as possible, watch and read some reviews, and then make up my mind if the figure is worth it for me to pick up. So, I hope when people get this in hand they will share and show it off for us all to see.

Friday?

I am looking forward to this figure as I plan to upgrade my Sideshow versions from ANH. I have limited my 1/6 collection to "Classic" Star Wars, primarily A New Hope. I debated keeping my sideshow Ben, I think the sculpt looks good, but the poor paint app will stand out when I pose him next to the newer Hot Toy figures. I also think the Hot Toys body may be easier to get in a more natural pose.

Anyway, I am not jumping to any conclusions about anything until I begin to see some in hand pictures. Comparison shots with Sideshow would be great to see too. I don't let the extreme haters on one end or the extreme Kool-Aid drinkers on the other sway me too much. I like to hear what everyone says, see as many pictures as possible, watch and read some reviews, and then make up my mind if the figure is worth it for me to pick up. So, I hope when people get this in hand they will share and show it off for us all to see.

Yeah mine is on its way via ems, usually turn up friday when sent weds. I mean don't get me wrong im not blinded because i paid day 1 etc, it has its flaws but its still a fantastic looking figure and a great representation of OBI :dunno . I know its the usual day 1 complaining but its getting a bit old now lol.

Should have known HT wouldnt fix the beard, that was what i had the most issue with. They could have at least colored it more natural looking. :dunno
I feel it is giving him a greek look, like zeus or something.

Back