1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will hot toys han solo , chewbacca , obiwan , luke skywalker and jawa tatooine figures be available for purschase until next july ?
I need to collect cash lol.

People see Jesus in potato salad. Proves nothing.

There have been many well-stated arguments why this doesn't resemble Alec Guinness. There have been side-by-side photos showing this. Yet those seem to get ignored in order to jab at exaggerated reactions. Why? Because attacking the exaggeration is easy.

And of course nearly anyone will recognize this figure as Obi-Wan Kenobi... now ask that same person if its a good likeness. Then ask if its a good likeness at $200. Then ask them if they think you are insane for spending that much money on a semi-realistic doll.

Last edited:
I think the sculpt seems off because it doesn't have that "warmth" that Sir Alec gives off in the movie. ANH Obi-Wan was very fatherly, HT Obi-Wan looks like he had the high ground and just cut off Anakin's legs and left him to die on the side of a volcano. Regardless, I'm still getting it even with its weak likeness. I'm sure in a week this thread will be singing the figures praises as the glamour shots continue to pour in.

I think the Star Wars forum here would be a little less off-putting if people could manage to be a little less hyperbolic.

The number of times I've seen the phrase "this looks nothing like so-and-so" or "there's no resemblance to the actor at all!" is a little bit silly. I guarantee that if you took this Obi-Wan headsculpt, (or the Han or whoever) to a convention, set it on a table and asked passers-by "can you tell me who this is?" they wouldn't have any trouble identifying the character. Nobody would look at this Obi-Wan and say "uh.. Colonel Sanders?"

Why would anyone make a high-quality Colonel Sanders figure? People are smart and view things with context. Without knowing what figure line it is they're able to figure out that it's some kind of movie or comic book series that would warrant an action figure. Thus the list of possibilities starts to dwindle really quickly. I can't name very many gray haired, gray bearded white dudes that have been in big movie franchises and would be represented in figure form, so the default on a figure like this might be Obi-Wan Kenobi to tons of people. Doesn't mean it really looks like him.

But pushing past "It's close, but they didn't quite capture the likeness perfectly" into "this is laughably horrible, what a pile of ****!" can only be viewed as a need to reinforce that your choice (not to purchase it) is the right choice.

Who are you quoting here? I thought we were bringing down the hyperbole level?

This is the LAST Sir Alec Guinness 1/6th figure from Star Wars that will be produced by HOT TOYS and thus likely by anyone for many years to come.

The next time a high-end 1/6th Guinness/Kenobi comes to light, you may very well have outgrown the hobby.

Do you really want to pass this up? DO YOU!?

Which probably explains why HT didn't re-sculpt him.

Yesterday, awaiting the in-hand photos, I was looking forward to justifying re-ordering him to add to the old boys club of HT Michael Caine Alfred and VTS Morgan Freeman Lucius Fox.

But he's just not in the same league. :monkey2

People see Jesus in potato salad. Proves nothing.

:lol

enhanced-buzz-2829-1364580714-0.jpg

Better sculpt than the Kenobi :lecture

Pssst... this is a joke.

I think the Star Wars forum here would be a little less off-putting if people could manage to be a little less hyperbolic.

The number of times I've seen the phrase "this looks nothing like so-and-so" or "there's no resemblance to the actor at all!" is a little bit silly. I guarantee that if you took this Obi-Wan headsculpt, (or the Han or whoever) to a convention, set it on a table and asked passers-by "can you tell me who this is?" they wouldn't have any trouble identifying the character. Nobody would look at this Obi-Wan and say "uh.. Colonel Sanders?"

So there is a resemblance. Now, you can certainly argue that the resemblance -to-cost ratio is not quite close enough for you, and that it could be improved.

But I see people here denouncing the idea that a figure has ANY redeeming qualities for reasons like "Vader's dome is 00.212mm off scale! This figure is garbage !" and, speaking personally, it can be a real detriment to any desire to join in a discussion here if you don't share those particular criticisms.

The bottom line is that if you don't like a product , the most powerful statement you can make is to not purchase it. But pushing past "It's close, but they didn't quite capture the likeness perfectly" into "this is laughably horrible, what a pile of ****!" can only be viewed as a need to reinforce that your choice (not to purchase it) is the right choice. But consequently, that simultaneously sends the message that anyone that does choose to purchase it is wrong /stupid for doing so.

But isn't that more people's insecurities getting over on them and moreso the fear they wasted $250 dollars on a figure? No one wants to feel foolish for dropping money on something that is perceived to be worthless. So it is natural to view any opinion or action contrary of buying the figure different.

I think, for this place especially it comes down to understanding the cycle of the figure releases as to how thread discussions are going. Some people come to these boards with agendas that are far different than others. You'll have serious types that only want figure talk and others that enjoy the community and the banter. All of these releases have cyclical behavior on the board. People that do not like the humor need not stop by until the figures are in hand a month after the blogger posts if they do not want to see initial reactions as that is when the serious discussions start. Every single release behaves in the same pattern. Release pre-order pics, show pics, official releases, glamour photos, release to the wilds, mods and fixes for figures and final saturated opinions. Best thing to do is not get to excited or offended on a message board about disposable income toy purchases. Have fun and enjoy.

If you want to see what figures really poor performers after release, just check the ones with the lowest views and comments.

Just for fun, I put this picture into the "how old do I look" website.......

came back as 63......

Which would be the same age he was during the release of ANH.

So... at least Hot Toys got the aged look right. :lol

I knew it! Perfect Alec sculpt. Science has said so. :lecture

These Hot Toys threads can be, at times, overwhelmingly negative, but once the figures start shipping to collectors I've found these same threads become a lot more constructive and informative, especially when it comes to pointing out product defects, help getting replacements, futzing etc. Maybe the Hive Mind is not so bad...? :p

Will hot toys han solo , chewbacca , obiwan , luke skywalker and jawa tatooine figures be available for purschase until next july ?
I need to collect cash lol.

I hope this is a rhetorical ? otherwise the answer is on Ebay secondary prices, and your in for some heartbreak....

Back