1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just got the rogue one Vader today and it's body is miles better the ANH and other things like the gloves etc
My RO Vader I've swapped the head, chest armour and the giant dipper swapped those for ANH
Then Kept everything the same even the inner robe pulled the pleats out its really easier

1st photo when I'd just taken RO out of the box no fuzting with my ANH
One I'm trying to say is I've think we've got a new hope Vader
IMG_2530.jpg
IMG_2553.JPG
IMG_2550.JPG
IMG_2561.JPG
IMG_2562.jpgIMG_2559.jpg

Yep. So far the BEST Vader seems to be a right amalgamation of parts from both the ANH and R1 figures. I actually think your ANH Vader still looks more like ANH Vader though, more so than the R1 Vader with some ANH parts.

I didn't like it, it bugged me something was not right about it
I think as it is now definitely better looks like ANH

I think the old suit looks better than the new suit. The ribbing pops more and it isn't as licorice shiny.

If one could slim the sleeves, I think it would also be a good swap onto the RO Vader.

I've stopped being bummed about not being able to buy R1 Vader, and stopped being bummed about the ANH Vader's shortcomings. I don't know when I'll be able to get round to it, but I'm going to bite the bullet and Jazz up my ANH version. Like you though Wor-Gar I'm not down for the hard-wired electronics, but all my figures go behind glass so I'm fine with not having sound.

I'm going to bite the bullet and Jazz up my ANH version.

Yep. I'm about ready to take the plunge myself. (although I moved recently and believe it or not all my figures are still boxed up by empty detolfs).

I'm trying to decide how best to address the gloves. I think I'm going to try and add real gloved hands and "rib" the soft gauntlets. I don't see getting the RO gloves easily or cheaply.

The rest is as per Jazz.

Is the RO version better than ht anh? Am not a Vader expert and a bit late to catch up on the threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. I'm about ready to take the plunge myself. (although I moved recently and believe it or not all my figures are still boxed up by empty detolfs).

I'm trying to decide how best to address the gloves. I think I'm going to try and add real gloved hands and "rib" the soft gauntlets. I don't see getting the RO gloves easily or cheaply.

The rest is as per Jazz.

Dem gloves... :gah: I'm going to (try to) get the RO gloves - otherwise I'll dull-coat the existing ones and see what I can do about getting better purchase between the glove and gauntlet.

Is the RO version better than ht anh? Am not a Vader expert and a bit late to catch up on the threads.

Out of the box it seems to me from pics that the RO version is better on a few fronts - Michael Crawford's written his review for RO, it's good reading. But the only thing that really bothers me about the ANH version is the gloves. The arms don't sit close enough to the body either. The helmet paint and dome placement don't bother me so much, but I can't unsee the improvements Jazz demonstrates in his tutorial.

I don't need a light-up sabre, sound effects or interrogator droid. If I was making a choice now it'd be the RO Vader.

I hate to say it but RO it's slightly better than ANH and HT's are going to keep rinsing it with more vaders in the future
HT's know when there on to a good thing because Its idiots like me and the rest that keep on buying them

i have anh vader and am pretty happy with it, the only reason i would get another vader is if they released one with the shaw headsculp. thats not to say that rogue one vader isnt good, i'm just a bit more partial to the anh one. both are outstanding figures so i'm guessing you cant go wrong with whichever version you have.

I read michaels review and to me a lit saber is quite imp. So all and all also for the fact it's anh (my fav movie) I was retaining it. But I asked to see if there was some major accuracy concern on anh vs ro that people were tilting to RO

Just a bit of curiosity regarding the voice feature: is it literally impossible to access the switch when the figure is fully clothed or is it just highly impractical? I know you're supposed to be able to get it without stripping it all the way down, so is there anyway to feel around a bit or is the costume just too thick?

The R.O. Vader's height just bugs me. It's like my original SS Vader that towers over ever other figure. I know Vader is tall but isn't he supposed to be a little shorter than Chewie?

I'm trying to stay patient and wait for ESB Vader before upgrading from my SS Vader, but I'm definitely tempted to pick up a ANH Vader...

Just finished my Vader today. Stuck to jazz's first and third videos as electronics aren't particularly important to me.

Changes to his recipe I made were:

Used dullcote instead of brush on paint for the hands.

Airbrushed satin on the dome instead
of polish. Also airbrushed gloss onto the shin guards.

Moved the saber hook and rivets a few cm closer to the belt box using my RO Vader as a guide.

Didn't add the additional wiring in the tunic but did remove the stock wire.

Added a magnet to the dome so I could freely change between off center left, right, and center.

Added tamiya clear red to the saber blade to darken it a bit

Added weathering to the chest box buttons.

All in all it was an excellent video tutorial and was extremely easy to follow.

5c26ccb8472e8dccf6755d82fb710397.jpg

581dbeb1840b3d088863d4a0041aaf6c.jpg

I've stopped being bummed about not being able to buy R1 Vader, and stopped being bummed about the ANH Vader's shortcomings. I don't know when I'll be able to get round to it, but I'm going to bite the bullet and Jazz up my ANH version. Like you though Wor-Gar I'm not down for the hard-wired electronics, but all my figures go behind glass so I'm fine with not having sound.

You'll have the definitive ANH Vader then for sure. :)

Not the greatest of pics, but finally finished modding the display stands to emit orange lights reminiscent of the Carbonite Freezing chamber floors.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Looks great, blkmagik73. Ok, so I got the RO Vader yesterday and I love him, he is a beast. Last week, I found the ANH Vader for a seriously great price so I picked him up too. I am most definitely keeping the RO Vader, that I know. But not sure about the ANH version. If I keep him, it would mostly be to have another Vader in my Darth Vader collection. I would most likely not be modding him. Not sure what I'm going to do.

Thanks, I opted for the ANH Vader only cause of the light-up light saber. I also modded the Bespin luke with the ANH light saber arm ( I just didn't have the time to turn both on before taking the pictures.) The only further attempt at modding i want to do to Vader is accentuating the lenses based on JazzInc's tutorial. So far having problems getting the help off, so i'm taking my time on it for fear of cracking it.

For anyone interested in doing the light up based mod. I simply opened the stands, removed the plate under the grill and replaced it with an opaque translucent sheet i found at a local art store.

The led's i used were these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011WTJ6MU/

Back