1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine moved to dec 25 lol no way there shipping then at least with all these payment shifts it gives me a break before Xmas

Still on the fence pros and cons list...
You think you're on the fence, but really you're just lining up your justifications. You've already bought it, all that remains to do is press the 'place order' button.
lol – perhaps you are right. But it would be easier if I didn’t have to line up justifications. I didn’t flinch in ordering any other figure so far but Ben (and I don’t regret getting him now).

Pro- I really like the helmet
Con- I really hate the gloves
= helmet > gloves. Vader is all about the helmet. The helmet parted out would cost me about $120-130. The gloves will be an easy pick up if I have to.
But I shouldn’t have to weigh between which is more important, helmet or gloves; when paying this much both should be good. Could I pay a bit more to get gloves off some other figure? I suppose so if I had to. What options are there? I could keep my SS ones (but wrong for ANH) but then I couldn’t sell that figure for very much without them.

Pro - I no longer think the LED saber is just a gimmick after getting Kenobi - It would be cool to have a Vader with one.
Con - I already have the SS Deluxe Vader I got over a year ago and I've always been fine with it. I don't like the helmet as much, but I don't hate it. I do hate the oversized light saber so I never pose him with it. I do love the gloves on the SS one.
= no way can I recreate a Vader/Kenobi sabre duel with one awesome sabre and one dud. And can my exacting standards be ok about just being 'fine' with SS Deluxe Vader? Mmmmno.
Yea, a duel would be a cool way to be able to display them, but not something that I would do often with the way I have the rest of my figures arranged. I am more likely to want to display a HT ANH Vader the way he appears in the famous promotion shot that was on the back of the Star Wars storybook I had as a kid. BUT, at the same time, I really like the pose my SS Vader is in with lightsaber hanging on belt and left hand and on buckle with a great right gesturing hand out in front of him.
I don’t want two Vaders. What I want is a single figure that can achieve both looks. But at the moment there is no option for that without customization.

Pro - It would be cool to have HT Vader to "complete" (for me) the HT ANH collection of Luke, Han, Chewie, Ben, Leia, and Stormtoopers (regular and disguise versions)

Con - Getting Luke, Han, Chewie, Ben, Leia, and Stormtoopers (regular and disguise versions) are already costing me a LOT.
Sure it's a LOT. I am mad. But hey, I've come this far. Do I really want to spend that much money only to fall one figure short on not completing the HT ANH line? That'd be like paying for 90% of a Ferrari and passing on the wheels.
Good analogy, but what if you had the wheels already from an older Ferrari which except for the most critical eye, no one would be able to tell the difference? Now for my own collection, the “critical eye” is my own, so I just need to figure out what it’s really worth to me. But, again your analogy makes sense and feeling like I’ve come so far already is part of what is making want to just get it.

Pro - I'm finding a recent appreciation for ANH style Vader - especially the helmet
Con - The ESB version is still my favorite look over all.

Ah, remember that first time I watched Star Wars... that's history right there. *sigh
Yea, but history is competing with itself when the first appearance version of the character tries to compete with his most iconic moment in the whole Star Wars saga when Vader revealed he was Luke’s father. We might of all said wow when we first saw Vader, but he became the most iconic when we saw him confront Luke in Cloud City.

Bonus Con - I hate the gloves (yea, this gets mentioned twice)

The gloves are the only real reason to pass on this set. That's all I got. And if that's all that's keeping me from picking it up, that'd make me the type of picky that kind of annoys me a bit when I see it in other people. Am I that guy? NO I'M NOT DAMMIT. I'm NOT THAT PERSON! PLACE ORDER.
Well, to me gesturing and emoting hands are a big part of Vader, and it’s the thing I really like about the SS Vader I have now. And as for being “picky”, if I don’t want to be “that guy” then the choice would be to live with the SS show sitting on my shelf. So this logic kind of works against getting HT Vader – not that logic will stop me if I decide I want it.

THERE! I did it!
Yea, you did.:goodpost:

If I get this here is how its going to go. I'll box up my SS Vader but hold on to it for a while, maybe use the hands for a bit on the HT one from time to time but in the end I'll sell him, but not get that much back for him. I'll pose my HT ANH Vader in the iconic promo pick pose from ANH with his lightsaber until the day HT makes and ESB/ROTJ version of Vader. Then I'll HAVE to have that one. After getting it I'll end up picking the best body and body suit out of the two as a base and keeping enough parts (including both helmets) to be able to convert one figure back and forth between ANH and ESB/ROTJ looks; and then sell whatever I have left over for parts for whatever I can get for them.

So in the end I would be buying a total of 3 Vaders to get one Vader I hopefully really really like. So getting another Vader after I have the SS one is kind of opening up a can of worms for me. If I knew for sure that HT would continue with the LED Saber when they get to ESB/ROTJ Vader, I might just try to buy a parted out HT ANH head and wait for the ESB figure that way I can redress it with a ANHish look when I felt like it.

Anyway, no matter what I end up doing. This is a fun hobby; which is good considering how expensive it is.
Thanks for your well thought out feed back, it was good spirited and fun to engage in. :duff

Any thought on how long this figure will be around via SSC; I missed out on Han and Chewie because I drug my feet too long and don't want to do the same for this? Wish they hadn't released all the SW figures at or about the same time!

My main concern is the suit. I am not sure if it was discussed before but does anyone know if the suit might deteriorate like the medicom suit? Will the sidedhow ANH vader suit fit this body?

Yes it stays working and no there isn't the need to undress anything.

That is cool, then they must have changed it. I tried this trick on both my Robocop and ED-209 and it didn't work. If I turn the switch back to off the sound function goes off immediately and it doesn't react anymore on the remote.

But maybe I'm doing something wrong. At what point exactly do you switch the button back to off?

Anyone care to try their hand at replicating this shot? This is the moment (just after checking out the dead troops, just before stomping off the set) that hooked me on Vader and Star Wars forever... Is the HT helm proportioned in such a way to get this angle? It looks a bit long in the back to get this right.

View attachment 226653

Yes it's one my favourite Vader scenes out of new hope
I've had a good go at it but no cigar

image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

Just pre-ordered this guy for $255 shipped using points. :yess:

Did the same thing. I used $84.25 in RP on this guy. I was gonna wait a bit more to see if Sideshow might hand out more RP codes, but I'd rather not risk this going to waitlist like the Han and Chewie set did before they released.

Final payment moved to Dec 25th looks like Uncle Darth won't be joining me for a glass of Stella this Christmas then !

Not necessarily, if they get it before the 25th, just call SSC and you will should have to option to pay and ship. That's what I did with old Ben so there is Hope. I also told Santa I wanted him for Christmas and he has never let me down:)

lol – perhaps you are right. But it would be easier if I didn’t have to line up justifications. I didn’t flinch in ordering any other figure so far but Ben (and I don’t regret getting him now).

Anyway, no matter what I end up doing. This is a fun hobby; which is good considering how expensive it is.
Thanks for your well thought out feed back, it was good spirited and fun to engage in. :duff

:lol Well I submitted. I'm going to miss the gloves, but SS ANH Vader is about to go up on ebay to claw back some of the outlay :)

Back