1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For mods I did this:

1 Lower dome
2 eyelids painted black
3 chest armour repaint
4 weathering on belt and chest box
5 removed apart of ribs from body so I could get arms to sit closer
6 saber hook moved closer to the front of belt

For mods I did this:

1 Lower dome
2 eyelids painted black
3 chest armour repaint
4 weathering on belt and chest box
5 removed apart of ribs from body so I could get arms to sit closer
6 saber hook moved closer to the front of belt

Very nice...yeah, the stock figure is great, but these little changes made the figure go, 'WOW'

I think bringing the arms in closer makes a huge difference since it also lowers the shoulders and makes the head look larger like anh vader

Side by side comparison. Modded on left, 100% stock on the right.

attachment.php

Beautiful. :clap

So is this ever going to ship from SSC. Still says Preorder :gah:

If you use the FEB coupon does that code cover the NRD :thud:

Thanks guys. I think the last thing I am going to do is paint the eyelids black.

maybe it's the lighting in the shot but I see ANH Vader in the stock (right) pic and a weird knock off from the modd :thud:

Its the lighting probably. I took the shot facing the light to emphasize the amber in the lenses.

But hey, to each his own. :)

Work in progress, but I'm pretty happy with the base (unretouched) shot, so I'd thought I'd share...

View attachment 246829

If Kylo wasn't in the shot, this would just about look EXACTLY like a screen grab from RotJ when the door to the elevator leading to the throne room on the second Death Star first opened with the red Imperial Guards flanking it.

Learn from my mistake: if you do the helmet/mask mod, use proper cutting techniques. Vader cost me an extra $300 for the ER visit. And yes, I should have known better.....the dome was no problem, it was that damn face mask that almost killed me

Last edited:
Learn from my mistake: if you do the mod, use proper cutting techniques. Vader cost me an extra $300 for the ER visit. And yes, I should have known better.....the dome was no problem, it was that damn face mask that almost killed me
Sorry to hear that, Matt. Hope you're OK. While in the customizing frenzy, coupled with late nights, we can forget "Safety First." I know I have.

Sorry to hear that, Matt. Hope you're OK. While in the customizing frenzy, coupled with late nights, we can forget "Safety First." I know I have.

Yeah, I am good. Just mad at the co-pay cost. So, I am gonna ask, what tool are you all using to crack open the helmet? I was getting nervous as the sides seem like they didn't want to cut 'cleanly all the time.....of course, not worried how clean the top of the helmet is - that will be covered, but the sides to the base of the neck had me worrying that it'll look sloppy when I reglue

Yeah, I am good. Just mad at the co-pay cost. So, I am gonna ask, what tool are you all using to crack open the helmet? I was getting nervous as the sides seem like they didn't want to cut 'cleanly all the time.....of course, not worried how clean the top of the helmet is - that will be covered, but the sides to the base of the neck had me worrying that it'll look sloppy when I reglue
I think Matrix said he went into the seam with an exacto knife and sawed the bottom supports and then pried it open. Me...I'm fine to NOT open mine up. I'm pretty satisfied with it. If I ever pick up an extra helmet....then I might see what I can do with it.

Back