1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I'm gonna skip this one. I don't mind futzing but seems like there's issues if you try and correct some things. If someone does a ESB/ROTJ Vader at the right height, I'll be on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard Popcultcha were out of stock a few pages back, but their site says still in stock so I pulled the trigger. Order went though, so fingers crossed. Don't think I'll bother with the box and voice stuff, just the sabre. Hoping he looks good beside Kylo! Wish the base designs were more similar though.

Here's my video comparison of the new Hot Toys Darth Vader and the previous Sideshow Darth Vader Deluxe figure.

Both great figures, but after breaking down all the components of the figures and then reassembling both, I do have to say I'm leaning towards the Hot Toys figure as the better overall figure.

Hope you can check out the video, and find it useful or informative!

Great video! Really goes in-depth about everything.

Good to see Sideshow can stand toe-to-toe in at least some respects. Honestly, if the Deluxe Vader had a slightly thicker body suit and a small layer of padding... I would be 100% happy with it. Thinking of grabbing the new SSC Vader body suit, if it has a better look.

So the new sideshow Vader (the one up for preorder now) is an updated version of the one in this video with less accessories?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So the new sideshow Vader (the one up for preorder now) is an updated version of the one in this video with less accessories?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, pretty much.

From what I can tell in the pics, which is not much due to lighting, the suit on the new SSC Vader is a lot better: the cape, tunic and body suit all. The gloved hands are surprisingly better too. The only problem is, it's hard to justify picking it up, especially if you got the Deluxe Vader last year.

The way I see it, Sideshow expects you to already have the previous Vader and Maul releases so that you shouldn't "need" many accessories. That just isn't the case though. Look at the lengths Hot Toys went to provide value with their Vader. It may have problems, but it's still impressive what they've done.

I get the feeling a lot of people are going to wait for ebay and Toy Anxiety to kit out the new SSC Vader, so they can upgrade their Deluxe Vader. I will personally be grabbing the body suit and tunic. I'll likely get the lightsaber and gloved hands too.

Great video! Really goes in-depth about everything.

Good to see Sideshow can stand toe-to-toe in at least some respects. Honestly, if the Deluxe Vader had a slightly thicker body suit and a small layer of padding... I would be 100% happy with it. Thinking of grabbing the new SSC Vader body suit, if it has a better look.

Thanks for checking it out! :)

Has anyone got the "new" Sideshow Vader on preorder? The one in my review above is the previous Sideshow Deluxe Darth Vader, and I thought the new one they listed for preorder was exactly the same but with less accessories!

But now people seem to be saying the new one they've listed has a new body suit and tunic?! Is that true? Anyone have any ideas on that?

Oh awesome thank you for the clarification I don't have the deluxe (I know I'm an idiot for not getting it) I definitely want to pick this preorder one from sideshow up though the new hope one from hot toys I don't really want mainly because the return of the Jedi is my favorite of the 7

No. They are two different variations on Vaders costume from two different movies.
I think there may be some confusion. He was asking about the "new" SSC Vader that's on preorder, not the Hot Toys release, and whether it was an upgrade to the previous SSC Deluxe version. It IS an upgrade.

And the ESB and ROTJ Vader suits are virtually identical. However, I'm assuming you were referring to the ANH vs ESB look.

Vader is in the house. :rock
Really like the height difference between Darth and the tall Stormtrooper. And the scale of the two helmets as well. Both seem about right or close enough for me.
May put the droid away until I get Leia, but it's very nice.
5b3c12dfd860d625637438baf91548c1_zpsett3lw7c.jpg

I think there may be some confusion. He was asking about the "new" SSC Vader that's on preorder, not the Hot Toys release, and whether it was an upgrade to the previous SSC Deluxe version. It IS an upgrade.

And the ESB and ROTJ Vader suits are virtually identical. However, I'm assuming you were referring to the ANH vs ESB look.

So what's the diff between the previous Deluxe Darth Vader and the new one that they have listed? I thought they were identical, but with less accessories......

Has anyone got the "new" Sideshow Vader on preorder? The one in my review above is the previous Sideshow Deluxe Darth Vader, and I thought the new one they listed for preorder was exactly the same but with less accessories!

But now people seem to be saying the new one they've listed has a new body suit and tunic?! Is that true? Anyone have any ideas on that?
It is an upgrade. The lightsaber and gloved hands for sure, but also the tunic and body suit.

The ribbing on the suit doesn't appear to be as flat, almost like they added some padding. And both the tunic and cape look like they drape much better, likely due to softer material construction. Hell, the tunic even has full stitching throughout, this time around.

This is the Vader we should've gotten with the Deluxe, but I digress.

Hopefully, Hot Toys will get it right the first time, when they attempt the ESB Vader.

Vader is in the house. :rock
Really like the height difference between Darth and the tall Stormtrooper. And the scale of the two helmets as well. Both seem about right or close enough for me.
May put the droid away until I get Leia, but it's very nice.
b275d7863b741fa5f5a8611516077ac4_zpsqcmoqh4v.jpg

Really nice work there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the "a presence I've not felt since..." pose seems to work best for me. Didn't have any luck moving the belt boxes. Too scared to break the belt.

Back