1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me there are pluses and minuses with both of them,the eyes,nose and neck look better on the kaiyodo but the cheeks,mouth vent and neck bulge look better on HT and they got the mouth/vent crooked too! And the dome looks to have been scanned down from the original as it's wonderfully wonky and crooked ..just superb.

You are right man! About the facemask I've to say that the minus of kaiyodo are really little noticeable. (hurricane facemamask seems near perfections) Ht facemask is weird even if there are little imperfections. About the dome, nothing to add to your words, ht is really near perfections even if I'd like to see ht dome on Hurricane facemask ( if they are in the same scale) for the final judgment.

:exactly:

The thing that to my eye looks most off with the HT is when you look at the higher angle, the eyes are sloped backward just slightly too much, giving it that cat/feminine or McQ Vader look seen more clearly in the proto. Even though it's still not 100% accurate either, you can see the Kaiyodo eyes are flatter. I also think the Kaiyodo neck looks broader and more accurate, though HT Vader is a bit skinny overall, so it's not too noticeable on the figure. The HT button nose does look a little odd/deep in some pics, but looks good in most.

I thought the same thing when I got my Kaiyodo kit (a bit shocked actually :lol) but I think it was Too Much Garlic who said the dimensions of the Kaiyodo exactly match the screen used helmet in 1/6. I did quite a bit of research because it just seemed wrong, especially next to the HT Stormie helmet but eventually found a jkno pic that showed the two replica 1/1 helmets and the props were similarly scaled. But as I mentioned earlier, what the comps showed was that it's the SSC DX dome that make the Kaiyodo look too small - a modded SSC DX is the most commonly used on the Hurricanes (Matrix used it too) and it's 10% too small and the skirt also flares out a little too wide.

If you have a close look at the HT vs Kaiyodo, the facemask dimensions (tusk-tusk, outer cheek-cheek etc.) they are about the same on both, whereas the Ht dome is noticeably bigger.

This is the kind of conversation that makes me feel less alone! Thanks TaliBane for your Star Wars accuracy!

You are right man! About the facemask I've to say that the minus of kaiyodo are really little noticeable. (hurricane facemamask seems near perfections) Ht facemask is weird even if there are little imperfections. About the dome, nothing to add to your words, ht is really near perfections even if I'd like to see ht dome on Hurricane facemask ( if they are in the same scale) for the final judgment.

Yeah, it should be mentioned that Hurricane sculpted a lot of tweaks to the Kaiyodo (most noticeable is he added the little curvy wave to the upper right cheek and redid left side) so it does look a little better than the straight Kaiyodo. He has real metal mesh as well behind the chin grill and lower vent and I think he redid the "teeth" and neck.

I have hurricans anh vader mask and helmet right in front of me. I will pick up parts of the ht vader when he becomes parted . like the body suite gloves belt boots and shin guards.

yes he did I also got the rotj reveal mask as well from him it looks a lot better then the ssc version did even the Anakin head sculpt looks better as well

Hey Matrix, that SS ANH... is that the stock dome?

:goodpost:

They must have scanned the dome because it has the slight wavy bottom on the skirt - anyone sculpting it would have made that flat.

Does the HT dome come off - or too scary to contemplate?

Yeah it's the stock dome lowered a tad. As for the HT dome,it looks to be fitted differently to the SS but maybe a drop of boiling water will help crack the glue holding it on.

Yeah, it should be mentioned that Hurricane sculpted a lot of tweaks to the Kaiyodo (most noticeable is he added the little curvy wave to the upper right cheek and redid left side) so it does look a little better than the straight Kaiyodo. He has real metal mesh as well behind the chin grill and lower vent and I think he redid the "teeth" and neck.

Tis true , all of it .....
We also found all the details found on the reveal brow and crown using photo etching reduced and etched those parts , on the posh all option vaders the latch mechanism found up high on left and right of the crown , each made of six or seven PE parts . We also replaced the square grills so they are flush.
Bad news:- the HT dome is too big for the kaiyodo , but we are enlarging the dx dome by 10% and will address the flare and add the wobbly edge like HT did.
The HT mask is also bigger than the kaiyodo by about 10%
We have a 20 century fox esb 1:1 helmet , mr garlic says its smaller than the real thing , helmets of Star Wars .com says otherwise. Anyway point being our kaiyodo had been reworked using scaled down measurements from this helmet , which we are also having 3D scanned and printed as we speak . We have contacts within the UKG of the 501st whom have helmets with maybe better lineage. So using a lot of maths maybe we'll come up with something better.

Yeah it's the stock dome lowered a tad. As for the HT dome,it looks to be fitted differently to the SS but maybe a drop of boiling water will help crack the glue holding it on.
We took our HT apart for a repaint , I can get piccys if wanted , I know the dome was glued on but we manipulated it till glue let go.

Daaaayum! Great photos, matrix69.

I actually like the shape of the HT helmet the best. The SS deluxe has a nice gloss on it though.

Thanks solo! I'm going to buff the HT dome up a little and give it more of a shine. To my eye it was never dull in the movie only a little smeared.

Thanks Matrix. It makes a world of difference. I was going to get round to modding mine, but I've decided to sell it stock for the HT upgrade.

Hi guys,
I'm new here and just got my Darth Vader SSC!!!! Whooot love it it's AWESOME!!!......
but I wasn't happy with his head so I made some modifications to it :p What do you think?... WP_20151201_19_07_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20151201_19_08_48_Pro.jpg

We have a 20 century fox esb 1:1 helmet , mr garlic says its smaller than the real thing , helmets of Star Wars .com says otherwise.

Star Wars.com is awesome and I've used it frequently, but it hasn't updated some of the older parts of the site and hasn't included all of the new information. Though bigger and sharper than the Don Post Deluxe and was the best of the best for many years, the 20th C is still soft and lack detail when compared to closer to the original screen helmets. The 20th C is from a tour helmet many generations down the line, so has shrunk over the generations - especially at the face - and is overall slimmer.

Hello everyone, I watch this figure for a long time

Is it worth to buy that even if is not ESB ver.?

I want to know some drawbacks of thsi figure.

@ Plastik,
Hi there... No I didn't touch the tusks yet... Hmmmm :p actually I don't think anyone has used this actual head yet. I think it looks pretty damned good for the price tho.

@ Plastik,
Hi there... No I didn't touch the tusks yet... Hmmmm :p actually I don't think anyone has used this actual head yet. I think it looks pretty damned good for the price tho.

Where did you get that helmet?

Back