1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one on the left is the SS deluxe with lowerd helmet and the hasbro ROTS chest box. One on the right is not a hurricane but my own custom using kaiyodo parts which i have to say are still more accurate than HT.

I thought it was Kaiyodo parts. And yeah, I'm with you on its accuracy compared to others. I dig your custom the most out of your Vader line up.

Kaiyodo... :clap

I have all the Kaiyodo parts to make essentially the same as Matrix's, though I'm using the same gloves Hurricane uses, plus the HUrricane helmet.

It's interesting to see Matrix's comp pics. I love the HT helmet but the Kaiyodo still does look a little better, though the SSC DX dome looks a tiny bit too small on the Kaiyodo whereas the HT facemask/dome proportions look spot-on.

Because the Hurricane is the Kaiyodo facemask but with quite a few subtle mods that increase the accuracy, I think it's probably the ultimate though I wish the Kaiyodo had a better option than the trimmed SSC DX dome (Hasbro looks too big on the Kaiyodo.) Maybe I'll cast my HT Vader dome and see how it looks.

HT is still far and away the best Vader out of the box. With my PC points I'm hoping to get it for $250 shipped.:yess:

nice comparison pics. i was going with the HT dome on my ANH ss face. have you tried that yet matrix?

I agree with you. I prefer SS's ANH head sculpt at all but the straight-on view. The face is more appropriately menacing to me (I also think the interchangeable hands and cape on for SS one are amazingly done) but HT's larger dome would make it more screen accurate. I have my SS one displayed under my 40" 1977 poster and it still manages a presence of its own. Based on the reception of this Hot Toys line (and how much the company improves on likenesses as they go, a la with Robert Downey, Jr. and Heath Ledger), I'll probably jump on when they tackle ROTJ.

What Kaiyodo Darth Vader is everyone using parts from? I thought most of their stuff was a smaller scale more like 1/9 with the figures being around 10". That head looks great.

What Kaiyodo Darth Vader is everyone using parts from? I thought most of their stuff was a smaller scale more like 1/9 with the figures being around 10". That head looks great.

It's the 1/6 kit (there is a larger 1/4 scale one - don't get that) but you have to buy either the actual Kaiyodo or Screamin (same kit) and NOT the recasts on eBay. Those have shrunk a little in the recasting.

They don't come up that often, but if you're patient you'll get one. Anywhere from $30 if you're lucky up to $100 if you just have to buy it right now. I paid about $50 for an unopened kit. It's best to get an unpainted/unassembled one - saves you having to undo bad paint or gluing.

The great thing about the Kaiyodo kit is that the rest of it is also usable - the chest armor, shoulder armor (not 100% accurate, but can be made so) leg armor/boots, even the gloves if you want. All are more accurate than anything ever made in 1/6 and properly scaled.

The other pieces you'll need are the SSC DX chestbox, dome and codpiece, perhaps the SSC gloves, though I'm using bendy hands inside the Judge Dredd gloves with some Vader jumpsuit glued on top. Maybe some iforigno custom capes (kind of spandex-like that hang well.)

Jumpsuit is whatever you can find - HT looks best (not parted yet and will be $$$,) the SSC ANH after that, but the SSC DX is more readily available/cheaper and can be modded to look better than stock. Even the Hasbro Ultimate villain one is pretty good - it actually looks almost as good as the best jumpsuits, though the sewn lines are a bit too far apart (like 1mm) and the sleeves are a little short.

N
I have all the Kaiyodo parts to make essentially the same as Matrix's, though I'm using the same gloves Hurricane uses, plus the HUrricane helmet.

It's interesting to see Matrix's comp pics. I love the HT helmet but the Kaiyodo still does look a little better, though the SSC DX dome looks a tiny bit too small on the Kaiyodo whereas the HT facemask/dome proportions look spot-on.

Because the Hurricane is the Kaiyodo facemask but with quite a few subtle mods that increase the accuracy, I think it's probably the ultimate though I wish the Kaiyodo had a better option than the trimmed SSC DX dome (Hasbro looks too big on the Kaiyodo.) Maybe I'll cast my HT Vader dome and see how it looks.

HT is still far and away the best Vader out of the box. With my PC points I'm hoping to get it for $250 shipped.:yess:

If you could estimate a % increase of the dx dome , we could make it happen.
S x

Thanks for the info TaliBane. I'm not into model building but I have a friend who used to and was extremely good even winning a few competitions. If I can find one cheap enough maybe I'll beg him to give it a go for me. :)

Can't do a Kenner 12-back line-up without a Death Squad Commander but you can go the Large Size Action figure route. Fett is cooler than the DS Commander anyway (though a Sandperson is certainly more iconic than IG-88.)

header-largesizeaf.jpg

Otherwise I agree with the sentiment. It's so tempting as a collector to either A. Be a completist or B. Just buy every "cool" character you like but then you end up with a display that looks like this:

IMG_4522_2048x2048.jpg

And yeah, it's awesome to have all that but you can almost play "Where's Waldo" hunting for the A-listers in that group.

It just can't compare to looking at a that original all-star line-up and no one else.

Wow does this bring back fond memories.

Back when Kmart, Zodys, Mervyns and Best stores were the stores to find these oldschool Kenner :clap

N

If you could estimate a % increase of the dx dome , we could make it happen.
S x

It's minor - maybe 10%. Also, I think the side/skirt flares out too much just slightly. It's very nit picky, but your facemask looks so accurate. Next to the ref pics, the dome always looked just a smidge too small. If you can up the dome size by 10%, it would be perfect. Adjusting the skirt is a little more tricky.

I'm Interested to try the HT dome on the Hurricane facemask. With two coat of gloss clear, the Hurricane ESB facemask looks stunning, so if the SSC dome can't be tweaked, I'm hoping the HT dome might provide the "ultimate" helmet combo. The HT dome has some remarkably good inclusions like the wavering/non-flat bottom of the skirt.

Thanks for the info TaliBane. I'm not into model building but I have a friend who used to and was extremely good even winning a few competitions. If I can find one cheap enough maybe I'll beg him to give it a go for me. :)

Yeah, it's not exceedingly complex - just some accurate painting of the facemask. Probably the hardest parts would be making the "soft goods" gloves and also making/modding a body to fit it. I'm using a "tall" body but there are some additions to bulk him up and accept the Hurricane helmet. The Kaiyodo boots/armor do require some cutting, but heat the Vinyl in hot water and it's like butter.

Back