1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't think people have to worry about variation in the color of hair between figures. I think it mostly just comes down to how you light it and futz it. I was able to take some new pics below (with a better camera) and you can clearly see that the hair on the face isn't nearly as dark as on the shoulders, for instance.

In any case, I was able to do a bit more futzing and made a couple other changes-- I painted the lips more of a brownish color (although I'm not sure it really reads here) and also lengthened the bandolier by adding a little extension in the back. It's obviously not screen accurate, but it's just a temporary fix until I can come up with something better. :p

View attachment 217233
View attachment 217232
View attachment 217234
View attachment 217235

View attachment 217236

Awesome pic with c-3po cant wait to get mine!

They've been home with me since September 10th... Not fading on me a bit. Personally, I'm sure if you check back with me in a few months, I'll still love this set.

Honestly, I've had them for a while now. There was some initial disappointment at first (unfutzed Chewie and Han's boots to name a few) but I thought they were great then and they've only continued to grow on me. I'm hoping Hot Toys is into this line for the long haul.

Not all people are like that, I see figures praised on the forum all the time and after a few weeks or a month they are up for grabs in the for sale section.

I've kept everything I bought so far and I can't wait to get mine to see what all the commotion is about. Hopefully by the end of the month. I'm already pretty much sold on Han 2.0 and most figures look better in hand so that's always good. I'm still a little miffed that there wasn't any tweaks for Chewie when a little effort could have made a whole lot of difference. But it looks to be perfectly salvageable with futzing the fur to disguise the bad parts of the face so in the end I might be on board with the praise. I wouldn't have started collecting at all if there was no HT Bespin Luke released so I have the faith.. :)

I certainly had my doubts, especially after the SDCC pics, but I'm starting to realize these things nearly always look much cooler in hand than they do in pics (and yes, that even goes for a lot of the Sideshow figures).

Not all people are like that, I see figures praised on the forum all the time and after a few weeks or a month they are up for grabs in the for sale section.

I've kept everything I bought so far and I can't wait to get mine to see what all the commotion is about. Hopefully by the end of the month. I'm already pretty much sold on Han 2.0 and most figures look better in hand so that's always good. I'm still a little miffed that there wasn't any tweaks for Chewie when a little effort could have made a whole lot of difference. But it looks to be perfectly salvageable with futzing the fur to disguise the bad parts of the face so in the end I might be on board with the praise. I wouldn't have started collecting at all if there was no HT Bespin Luke released so I have the faith.

Yeah unfortunately no amount of futzing can hide the fact the eyes are just too close together. But with how good everything else on the figure looks it's a lot easier to ignore that.

I have stated before I don't collect 1/6...I am a 1:1 prop and studio scale ship collector with the occasional statue. But with HT getting the full license, I bit on the Han and Chewie 2-pack, because they are so iconic. Man..what an underwhelming set. The Chewie is OK at best with just a passing resemblance of him with a lot of futzing, but the real dud of the set is Solo, he just looks dead and has a real "doll" look. Needless to say I will be sending them back to SS and getting a refund. Pretty much confirmed the fact I don't like 1/6 figures. I will still spill the beans on upcoming HT products though...no worries ;)

Just sharing some shots of Chewie.

A pin-up pic.

C1.jpg

With his best buddy in the galaxy

H&C1.jpg

I have stated before I don't collect 1/6...I am a 1:1 prop and studio scale ship collector with the occasional statue. But with HT getting the full license, I bit on the Han and Chewie 2-pack, because they are so iconic. Man..what an underwhelming set. The Chewie is OK at best with just a passing resemblance of him with a lot of futzing, but the real dud of the set is Solo, he just looks dead and has a real "doll" look. Needless to say I will be sending them back to SS and getting a refund. Pretty much confirmed the fact I don't like 1/6 figures. I will still spill the beans on upcoming HT products though...no worries ;)

I've been saying this since I first saw the early pics. This barely looks like Chewie. Others love it because it's the closest we've ever gotten to a 1/6 scale Wookie. Although I do think Hot Toys may try again with Han and Chewie seeing that both are in The Force Awakens. That would be cool to have a young and old version of both. I think the next version will be more spot on.

I've been saying this since I first saw the early pics. This barely looks like Chewie. Others love it because it's the closest we've ever gotten to a 1/6 scale Wookie. Although I do think Hot Toys may try again with Han and Chewie seeing that both are in The Force Awakens. That would be cool to have a young and old version of both. I think the next version will be more spot on.

I 100% DISAGREE and Chewy look's Amazing to me IMO. Again your opion and your right to not like but think out of anyone would be hyped 4 this release would be a member named CHEWBLACCA I would think , i guess not. I own the kotobukyia version also look forward to comparing them both next tuesday when mine arrive. I already know i'll LOVE him n Han just needs the correct futzing on the hair to bring his perfect look out. Sorry u not liking release n hope they do make another later on for those who pass on this Amazing release. We never know with Hot toys what they will do ?:dunno

I 100% DISAGREE and Chewy look's Amazing to me IMO. Again your opion and your right to not like but think out of anyone would be hyped 4 this release would be a member named CHEWBLACCA I would think , i guess not. I own the kotobukyia version also look forward to comparing them both next tuesday when mine arrive. I already know i'll LOVE him n Han just needs the correct futzing on the hair to bring his perfect look out. Sorry u not liking release n hope they do make another later on for those who pass on this Amazing release. We never know with Hot toys what they will do ?:dunno

I know. When I first heard that Hor toys was making a 1/6 Chewie I peed my pants. Then I saw it and felt bad. The face and hair color was wrong. Although many of the futzed images look good the eyes and face still never looked right. For all those that love it more power too ya. It's just not there for me. I'm not looking for perfection. Just a good looking Chewie. And I think it's a sin to support something that seems, imo, mediocre at best.

Got mine on Wednesday and finally got them out of the box...I had ordered Chewie separately and just about a month ago when all of the photos started coming in from the UK...SO glad I picked up both, these guys are dig-worthy meaning I dig 'em! Minor futzing out of the box. Just curious, does anyone else's have some major matting on the right shoulder area? It's like dreads on a long-haired cat!!!

2015-10-16 14.32.32.jpg

Nice pics everyone, Chewie looks awesome. Three more days and I have him and Han at last!

It is funny going back to see al the hate this figure was receiving only for it (from some comments I read) to be a favorite among collectors. Really awesome that opinions changed on this guy. Now just waiting on Luke, Leia, and SSC C-3PO to release and there will be some awesome ANH set ups!

Well, not all opinions clearly (read above). But certainly most of those that kept this on order will be more forgiving... having seen many pictures by now. I am certain as more Chewbaccas arrive, we will have a split decision on this figure after the 'honeymoon' period of picture-snapping and friendly back-patting.

I myself was still a bit discouraged at first by Chewbacca. I was hoping for better. I swing back and forth between the elated excitement of having a Han/Chewie set on my shelf -- which is like a dream come true -- and the disappointment of not being able to see Chewie's face without a flashlight.

If I can figure out how to lighten the face I will be much happier. If not, then my Chewblacca is simply a stand-in for the next improved version.

Looks great. I also plan on repainting the lips. I also will be drybrushing the fur in areas.

Good stuff davejames. :)

You're not worried about the "mustard on the 'stache" look?

Chewbacca is like an ugly girl with great boobs. Longer you stare, prettier she gets

That has been found carved in a 50,000 year old caveman's cave, and will be found in an advanced, transcendental society's language in 50,000 years.

Nice pics everyone, Chewie looks awesome. Three more days and I have him and Han at last!

It is funny going back to see al the hate this figure was receiving only for it (from some comments I read) to be a favorite among collectors. Really awesome that opinions changed on this guy. Now just waiting on Luke, Leia, and SSC C-3PO to release and there will be some awesome ANH set ups!

This was not a situation of some early pics were shot with a fisheye lens or in bad lighting and now we see the great figure. This figure has big issues, but it's awesome to be handling something that truly resembles a shrunken down Chewy. The face can be futzed quite a bit and the fur made to look really good and from certain angles (where the duckbill and too-close eyes or the too-dark fur aren't as visible) it looks close to spot-on.

But to say "people said it was terrible but it was actually brilliant" is simply not the truth. It has several major issues that can be somewhat mitigated and photographed around is all. From start to finish (up to today,) I've seen pretty good and pretty bad pics of this figure. "It's Chewy!" to "that looks awful" all the way through.

It's definitely interesting to see just how differently the head can look depending on how you futz the hair. I imagine even if they got the underlying sculpt a lot more accurate in a future release, you'd still see the same really wide range of looks on here after people got done messing with him.

Back