1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swore in the custom's thread there was a build your own chewbacca thread. I only saw a couple custom chewy's 1 being DARTHRAZZ custom now i know why u need the fur. I dont doubt for some not happy and only need the Chewy head redone eventual we will see the custom Chewbacca's and interesting to compare them. I'm just glad we ALL dont have to build our own Wookie. I still say he look's amazing and cant wait to judge him better when i get him in hand.

I have stated before I don't collect 1/6...I am a 1:1 prop and studio scale ship collector with the occasional statue. But with HT getting the full license, I bit on the Han and Chewie 2-pack, because they are so iconic. Man..what an underwhelming set. The Chewie is OK at best with just a passing resemblance of him with a lot of futzing, but the real dud of the set is Solo, he just looks dead and has a real "doll" look. Needless to say I will be sending them back to SS and getting a refund. Pretty much confirmed the fact I don't like 1/6 figures. I will still spill the beans on upcoming HT products though...no worries ;)

Thanks for the opinion. It's not going to be a popular one here but it does help some of us that are still on the fence about Chewie.

Should I pay $250 and settle for a likeness and coloring that I'm still questioning? I don't think I can afford to throw that around unless I'm 100% convinced it looks like what I would want. It's just so difficult to tell with this figure because the Art of the Futz makes everyone's look different.

Fingers crossed Hot Toys has a version 2 lined up at some point. It wouldnt make sense for them to sink so much R&D into this figure and only release one. At least that's what I'm hanging my hopes on anyway.

WTF is going on with this thread? Now it's THEY SUCK blah blah blah..the pics in these postings look incredible- Chewy looks REAL..Han best Ford likeness yet..boy sometimes I wonder..

We heard the complaints at comic con when we most saw a unfutzed Chewbacca. Then Paramore showed off Chewy futzed looking great.:clap Then bunch were releaved and very happy like myself. I know i wont be instantly taking pic's right from the box without going back to the movie and Paramore's pic's to perfect my wookie. I love the ROTJ look Chewy and think it show's how good he can be imo. Again hopefully we all can get the look we want ,chewy is a complex figure and hope not too difficult to get the look right.

I dont kno how to qoute multiple posts of old pic's. If someone could u can see the big change's of the futzing of his hair.

The new pictures show much better in-hand results than were ever shown from any photos of figures people got early from Hong Kong - IMO, the best this figure is ever going to look has already been seen.

I've liked it since the start but it's clear it isn't a home run. The bad showing at SDCC didn't do much to change my opinion because it was easy to tell that it was futzing/setup and lighting/photography causing the fugliness (he appeared drastically different in two displays at the same show). It's a shame about the face being way too dark and the muzzle and eye placement being somewhat off - that can't be corrected through futzing. Some spot-lights can help the face, but hopefully one of the talented folks here will have some good results with paint, enough to convince me to give it a shot in the future.

If there's news on the horizon that another better and improved model will be showing up I'll either have two Chewbaccas in my collection or I sell this one, hopefully at a profit - I don't like to break even and especially losing money.

I'm spellbound by Chewie. Yes, his head is a tough area. But overall, he's just sooooo impressive. Quick pic, virtually zero futzing:

DSC_0021.jpg

Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible...

I dont kno how to qoute multiple posts of old pic's. If someone could u can see the big change's of the futzing of his hair.

Here's a SDCC photo showing what people feared would arrive on their doorsteps and at the time the level of futzability in the face was a question.
View attachment 199207

Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible...

I've always said and I remain absolutely amazed by how everyone in this thread have made their Chewie's look so far and away better than any effort Hot Toys put into any of their Con appearances and their promo photos. It's nothing short of incredible.

My main issue is the darkness of his face fur. DaveJames' Chewie somehow has a lighter face than most but I can't tell if that's his camera, lighting or if his figure is just inherently different than the others. Regardless, there's been no good fix for dark face fur. And that is enough for me not buy. If the coloring was more accurate I'd have one myself.

My opinion in no way takes away from this being a fantastic figure. It's a milestone achievement. Owning him and being happy with him must be a great feeling. I'm jealous that it's not a feeling I can easily share.

I think paramore' s video shows him off the best imo. a lot of great pic's in thread but dont want to steal n post pic's of others but para's vid shows great futzing on him as well as many other's pic's chewy of how good him n han can look..

Last edited:
When watch video u can see how much lighter n darker from daylight to indoor lighting. When in hand i bet much lighter and pics sometime's show so much detail our eyes might not see because of how damn good some's camera's are and again go's back to in hand of what our eyes see when he's displayed at home. Again love the ROTJ futzed look and can hear HAn n Chewy in that video perfectly imo in that review from memory of movie and that to me says great figure's.

Arrived today and haven't gone in for the hard futz yet. I have to echo the sentiments of those who've said this guy is new and nostalgic at the same time. He is, if nothing else, seriously fun.

chew_1.jpg

chew_2.jpg

chew_3.jpg

Sorry my photos aren't the snazziest - just stoked to share...

Thanks for the opinion. It's not going to be a popular one here but it does help some of us that are still on the fence about Chewie.

Should I pay $250 and settle for a likeness and coloring that I'm still questioning? I don't think I can afford to throw that around unless I'm 100% convinced it looks like what I would want. It's just so difficult to tell with this figure because the Art of the Futz makes everyone's look different.

Fingers crossed Hot Toys has a version 2 lined up at some point. It wouldnt make sense for them to sink so much R&D into this figure and only release one. At least that's what I'm hanging my hopes on anyway.

That is the exact reason I canceled Han and Chewie. If I'm going to pay close to $500, and at the end of the day I'm questioning the final look, I need to pass. It was a hard decision but I have made peace with my inner toy:) Having said that there has been some amazing futzing going on.

I'm really not trying to mislead people into thinking the face is lighter than it is (I just happen to light things a bit brighter than most I think). Here are some pics of it on my shelf in more shadowy lighting, and next to some other figures for comparison:

IMG_0928 (503x850).jpg

IMG_0932 (575x850).jpg

IMG_0931 (529x850).jpg

IMG_0923 (850x724).jpg

That looks closer to what I was dealt. Especially the beady black eyes. :lol

I don't think there's any question we all have the same, dark Chewbacca. There's no "lighter" ones about. But proper futzing goes a long way to making this figure look more like Chewbacca, as you've shown.

That looks closer to what I was dealt. Especially the beady black eyes. :lol

I don't think there's any question we all have the same, dark Chewbacca. There's no "lighter" ones about. But proper futzing goes a long way to making this figure look more like Chewbacca, as you've shown.

I think the more you pull the hair away from the face, the lighter it gradually does start to look. But yeah, unless you really get the light up in there, there's no way you're going to see those dark little eyes of his. :D

In any case, I'm pretty happy with the face color on mine the way it is. It may not be as light as that great photoshop pic from earlier, but in hand it still looks light enough for my taste.

Back