1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 249 - The Joker (Bank Robber Version 2.0) - 1/6 - TF Exclusive 2014

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think what really drove the price up was the base (which I think looks awesome) and the backdrop (could care less about that).

Say we are paying $30-$35 extra for the base and $10 for the backdrop. Without those two items this figure would be priced around $225. That would seem pretty standard, but still a little high.

I kinda compare him to General Zod, two sculpts that isn't a remake, Zod has a better base since it's dynamic. he doesn't have any accessories but his armor alone makes up for that and is only priced at $239.

I think what really drove the price up was the base (which I think looks awesome) and the backdrop (could care less about that).

Spiderman%203%20-%20New%20Goblin%2012%20Figure.png

The base is literally a reused base from New Goblin. :lol

New Goblin isn't that old, has the same base, is more complex than this figure, came with two heads (one masked and unmasked ironically), had a ton of little do-dads and a freakin' flying snowboard and was . . . . exactly $100 less at $169.99

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/product-archive/?sku=901381

So unless that crappy cardboard backdrop that took them a few seconds to make equates to $100 (which a lot of cheaper figures have come with), I dunno. I think they just overpriced it because "hey, it's the Joker". There's literally no other explanation for it.

Yeah. It's all because it's the Joker from TDK. However, when it comes to the 89 version, the price tag might have something to do with Nicholson, because Mattel is not going near the 89 Joker with their Tim Burton line, and looks like Neca doesn't want to touch it either, so that's something to take into consideration.

I kinda compare him to General Zod, two sculpts that isn't a remake, Zod has a better base since it's dynamic. he doesn't have any accessories but his armor alone makes up for that and is only priced at $239.

I completely agree that $240 would be a fair price for this maybe even still a little to high ($230 would've been great and probably what price most people here were expecting.

Say we are paying $30-$35 extra for the base and $10 for the backdrop. Without those two items this figure would be priced around $225. That would seem pretty standard, but still a little high.

The base probably costs $1.25 to make. That's a bit of a mark up. I guess as long as people keep lining up, ht will keep raising prices. We are a couple years away from a $1000 standard figure from hot toys.

Spiderman%203%20-%20New%20Goblin%2012%20Figure.png

The base is literally a reused base from New Goblin. :lol

New Goblin isn't that old, has the same base, is more complex than this figure, came with two heads (one masked and unmasked ironically), had a ton of little do-dads and a freakin' flying snowboard and was . . . . exactly $100 less at $169.99

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/product-archive/?sku=901381

So unless that crappy cardboard backdrop that took them a few seconds to make equates to $100 (which a lot of cheaper figures have come with), I dunno. I think they just overpriced it because "hey, it's the Joker". There's literally no other explanation for it.

We don't know if that is the same material used in the New Goblin base, plus it is not just a black coat of paint. There appears to be more attention to this detail.

And the business side of this with DC I'm sure really comes into play. I'm sure there are stipulations that remakes of the same figure come with higher fees to Hot Toys or DC gets a bigger cut (however that works). DC wants these figures to be just as collectible as Hot Toys as it will help with the success of their franchise in the long run.

And did you just throw The New Goblin from Spiderman 3 into the same realm of conversation with The Joker one of the most (if not the most) iconic comic villains of all time? I'm sure popularity comes into play with pricing as well.

the joker is up to order only i dont can order it because you need a master card, i asked in live chat and only with mastercard you can order it for the price.. :slap

i have almost always bought anything joker with a blink...but...

1) some how the sculpt is not very impressive. it looks more like crow in a joker costume especially the nose portion
2) way too pricey, although i am fine with that but still i would have preferred the mask sculpt be done in such a way that it gave a feeling of wearing a mask rather than a seamless sculpt. may be they shld show a pic or two from around the mask edges
3) the expression on the main sculpt should have been closer to the "anything that doesn't kill" section
4) there were 10 times more accessories and better craftsmanship with dx11 for 10 bucks more.

while i may still buy it, it is less than impressive...

i have almost always bought anything joker with a blink...but...

1) some how the sculpt is not very impressive. it looks more like crow in a joker costume especially the nose portion
2) way too pricey, although i am fine with that but still i would have preferred the mask sculpt be done in such a way that it gave a feeling of wearing a mask rather than a seamless sculpt
3) the expression on the main sculpt should have been closer to the "anything that doesn't kill" section
4) there were 10 times more accessories and better craftsmanship with dx11 for 10 bucks more.

while i may still buy it, it is less than impressive...

After that sermon, you still undecided? :lol

We don't know if that is the same material used in the New Goblin base, plus it is not just a black coat of paint. There appears to be more attention to this detail.

And the business side of this with DC I'm sure really comes into play. I'm sure there are stipulations that remakes of the same figure come with higher fees to Hot Toys or DC gets a bigger cut (however that works). DC wants these figures to be just as collectible as Hot Toys as it will help with the success of their franchise in the long run.

And did you just throw The New Goblin from Spiderman 3 into the same realm of conversation with The Joker one of the most (if not the most) iconic comic villains of all time? I'm sure popularity comes into play with pricing as well.

You're just justifying it, which is fine. You want it, you paid the price, you dig it, cool. All you have to say is that you like what you're seeing and paid that price tag. Don't try and justify it though, when other similar figures and cases are much cheaper (even within the same license).

The base is the same. Sometimes the only difference between bases is a sticker or cardboard cut out, case in point, the new bendy stands. DC has nothing to do with it, at all. You're reasoning there is pretty strange. And yeah, I just threw New Goblin in the same realm of conversation as the Joker. The both have the same base, two heads and a slew of accessories. The difference? One was an all new figure for it's time and the other one is a repaint of a 6 year old figure with "newly tailored clothing". That's it.

So if popularity does come into play, than that proves that these companies are just charging arbitrarily without any rhyme or reason, because they can, which blows.

i think all your points are great. the price could be licencing cost difference related too. but given that - all other points are very valid...its a very unimpressive release.

You're just justifying it, which is fine. You want it, you paid the price, you dig it, cool. All you have to say is that you like what you're seeing and paid that price tag. Don't try and justify it though, when other similar figures and cases are much cheaper (even within the same license).

The base is the same. Sometimes the only difference between bases is a sticker or cardboard cut out, case in point, the new bendy stands. DC has nothing to do with it, at all. You're reasoning there is pretty strange. And yeah, I just threw New Goblin in the same realm of conversation as the Joker. The both have the same base, two heads and a slew of accessories. The difference? One was an all new figure for it's time and the other one is a repaint of a 6 year old figure with "newly tailored clothing". That's it.

So if popularity does come into play, than that proves that these companies are just charging arbitrarily without any rhyme or reason, because they can, which blows.

I missed V1 so I went ahead and PO this, yes I agree it's overpriced but what isn't. Depending on when it ships I might have to cancel as i have to pay for a vacation in a few weeks.

Almost $300 bucks. Jesus. I had a feeling the price would be out of whack when I saw the Acient Predator price. Aren't Toy Fairs Exclusives always this pricey? I remember Gordon cost me around $260? and OC Bats was about $260 as well?

Almost $300 bucks. Jesus. I had a feeling the price would be out of whack when I saw the Acient Predator price. Aren't Toy Fairs Exclusives always this pricey? I remember Gordon cost me around $260? and OC Bats was about $260 as well?

The 2011 and 2012 Toy Fairs figures were $224. The 2013 Toy Fair exclusives last year were $216.

Batman
Angelica
Superman

The Crow was a recent Sideshow exclusive with a brand new license and was $220.

The Crow

Last edited:
$270.00 plus tax is a bit too steep for me. i would be happy @$220.00.

thing is all i want is the figure. i could care less about a cardboard backdrop that i wont use or the figure stand in all honesty.

$270.00 is a bummer, he would have been my first ledger joker but i just do not see the value in the asking price.

The 2011 and 2012 Toy Fairs figures were $224. The 2013 Toy Fair exclusives last year were $216.

Batman
Angelica
Superman

The Crow was a recent Sideshow exclusive with a brand new license and was $220.

The Crow

Times like this really make me appreciate the DX07 for the sheer value that package was. I understand that it was released 2 years ago but funny how a figure like this 2.0 is roughly $20 cheaper now.

Ht-hot-toys-dx07-star-wars-skywalker-Luke.jpg

The base probably costs $1.25 to make. That's a bit of a mark up. I guess as long as people keep lining up, ht will keep raising prices. We are a couple years away from a $1000 standard figure from hot toys.

Well we don't know what kind of material they are made of so it is tough to put an estimate on the cost per base.

Maybe they are made of a slab of marble?? :lol

Back